Jambands.ca

Phish heading back to the studio

Basher

Phish To Return To Studio Next Month

Last updated on: Monday, January 12, 2004

Fresh off its well-received, yearlong comeback following a two –year hiatus, Phish will next month head into the studio to record with Grammy-winning engineer Tchad Blak, who has lent his distinctive touch to acclaimed albums by Sheryl Crow, Los Lobos, Tom Waits, Soul Coughing and The Bad Plus. Blake will then mix the album, tentatively scheduled for release this summer (most likely followed by a tour), at world music-influenced pop star Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios in England.

"That’s really exciting for us, " Phish keyboardist Page McConnell said in a recent phone interview. "We’ve been working with a lot of the same folks over the last three or four albums, so it’s nice to have someone who’s going to have new opinions and fresh perspectives."

Source - Burlington Free Press - January 12, 2004

round rooms got some great songs, but it sounds really bare bones like not alot of production went into it, i mean u can hear trey laughing on some tracks,, theres no fixing the lyrical flubs

still a good cd, it aint no lawnboy or hoist though

i guess this recording in england is what all this europe rumour shit thats been floating around

Round Room is a gem... in its own sick and twisted way.. jk/ I love that album.

I heard they were headed back to the studio! I serisouly cant wait.. I hope they dont put secret smile on the album... but I would love to have the scents and subtle sounds recorded... BLING BLING

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

of course they are marcO!
!!!

those are my two absolute least favorite.

[big Grin]

You find that with MarcO too?! I love MarcO but man do we ever seem to have opposite opinions on music most of the time. I geuss that's what makes it interesting.

Best Phish? Nectar for sure. Rift is sweet. Farmhouse is excellent. Billy Breathes has some beautiful songs.

"When you're there, I sleep lengthwise; and when you're gone, I sleep diagonal in my bed."

I don't own any of the Phish studio albums...I was 'brought up' per se on live shows and really the production on all the albums but 'Siket Disc' suck. Ok, Billy Breathes was acceptable...Yes many have my fave songs on them but it's a guarantee I've got a better live version somewhere.

That being said, I have some faith in this one. Tchad Blake is a frickin' genius in the studio. He studied under Mitchell Froom(Los Lobos, Cibo Matto, Crowded House, Ron Sexsmith...) and together they have a very distinctive style.

Think of the sonics on all the Soul Coughing albums, the crazy drum sounds and killer bass...He also did Tom Waits' Bone Machine, Los Lobos' Kiko, Tony Levin, Latin Playboys.....i can't wait!!

Considering that Junta was their first album, and it was independantly released, and it has some of their best material on it, I would say it totally fucking rocks!!

I remember the day Rift came out, and I loved it!

Nectar was amamzing

lawnboy has some blistering guitar work on it.

Hoist almost destroyed my faith in Phish - until I caught them at the Metroplis in 94', then i realized theyu were still rocking!

Actually I pretty much like all their studio stuff...except Round Room which is a bit shitty really...

Phish ----- "Up Again" (The Vermont quartet plans to release another Phish-y sound, taking a new approach to their 2004 Elektra release. The new album will be full of surprises for even the most die hard of phanatics. The band has invited numerous special guests (Dave Matthews, Emmy Lou Harris, Walfredo Reyes Jr, Keith Richards, Victor Wooten, David Grippo, Warren Haynes, JohnPreiodoma, Carlos Santana) to help with the recording of both new songs and songs previously buried by the band dating as far back as 1989. Due out: June 2004 Elektra

or so i heard....

quote:

Originally posted by weezy:

Round Room is proof that Phish can pretty much piss in their fan's ears and the hippies will lap it up and ask for more.

I'd say that they owe their fans a very special album after that turd-fest.

So, I guess since I had just posted it's my favorite Phish CD, I should take your comment personally??? [Mad]

Lapping It Up And Asking For More Turds?

quote:

So, I guess since I had just posted it's my favorite Phish CD, I should take your comment personally???

Yes, exactly. Glad you understand.

I'm VERY surprised that some people like this album, hence the piss/ears comment. ONLY a HUGE Phish fan could claim to like the album - it certainly aint' converting anyone...mostly just reinforcing their dislike for all things jamband. Also, the fact that it's the only album that the band (Phish) is actually happy with just proves that they are developing very bad taste in their old age. They can play/jam like no others, therefore, they should stick with the live forum and stay away from the studio unless they have something VERY WELL PREPARED with a VERY GOOD PRODUCER.

Looks like they might be taking the right approach this time. We'll see.

Archived