Jambands.ca

The Darkness - was it worth it?

MamaPink

Andy and I left Kitchener around 6:00pm and started our trip to see The Darkness. We made good time, arrived in Toronto around 7:00 only to find out the show was sold out. Yeah you read that right, The Darkness was SOLD OUT! In disbelief we decided to shop around a little to see if we could get some scalper tickets… first guy offered me $125 …FOR ONE TICKET! I told him to fuck off. I went to another guy, and he said, "I'll give you a deal"… nice, I like deals! $100 he says, EACH. I shouted, “$100 to see the flippin' Darkness??? This has got to be a joke!"

Bare in mind, the original price of each ticket was $15.50.

So we decided to wait awhile, see if we could get better prices later. Hung out with a couple people in the parking lot who were BIG Darkness fans… I mean, they weren’t just there to see some British dude wiggle around in a silly jumpsuit, they actually liked the music.

Finally, about a half hour into the show we went back to the front doors to see if anyone had lowered their prices. Nope, same price… $100 (a great deal, wouldn’t you say? Bunk.) We weren’t the only freaks though, about 50 other people were standing out front with the same dilemma.

Fuck it – we left. Found a nice little pub, had a couple of laughs (which didn't cost $100) and around 11:30 Andy and I began our mission back home.

Now this is where the REAL fun begins.

About 10 minutes passed Milton, heading towards Kitchener I was driving on the 401 in the middle lane, going about 100km/h. A slow pace I must say, but the wind was strong, the roads were slick and my car is very small. A huge transport truck passed me on the right, blowing my tiny Toyota Corolla around. As this happened I hit a patch of ice, and started swerving out of control. I threw my car into neutral, hit the breaks and found myself traveling head on towards the median in the left hand shoulder. Just before slamming into it I let go of the breaks, which straightened out my car and caused my back end to collide with the median. SMASH! We traveled quite a distance, sliding the entire way scraping my car as we went. Completely helpless I shouted, “Hold on Andy, eventually we’ll either hit a dry spot or straight run.” Finally, after what seemed like forever, we came to a stop. Both Andy and I let out a huge breath, asked each other if we were ok, and sighed in relief that we managed to make it through without any physical damage. Fortunately the entire incident happened in slow motion, all Matrix styles (or so it seemed) which helped us prepare for any kind of collision we were about to face.

We eventually made it home alive with no injuries… and only $1,800 worth of damage to my car. (a measly price to pay to remain alive)

I’m thinking now maybe I should have just stayed home and watched them on Letterman.

Wow, the stars were against you last night. Good to hear everyone is safe and sound though.

Incidently ticket were going for $250+ on ebay yesterday. A guy I worked with was forced by his friends to go. He said the band did every rock and roll cliche he'd ever heard of. He didn't dig the show too much. I wouldn't have been for me either, but if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world (or better [smile] ).

I'd never heard of this band Darkness. I can't believe they were selling tickets on eBay for $25)!?

Holy Crap! I'm so happy you guys are okay! That's madness! I've had almost the exact experience but it was closer to KW on the 401. I went into a flat spin, all the way across the highway, down into the ditch, back up the other side of the ditch, and come to a rest in front of a farmers fence. This taught me a valuable lesson: 4-wheel drive vehicles are not invincable in the snow. Scared the crap out of me. I know how the two of you must have felt. I'm super happy it worked out okay.

holy fuck, i am SO glad you are okay! after having to spend an entire winter last year with tires so bald they may as well have been wrapped in plastic, i know just how scary it is to be careening out of control in a tiny car (MATRIX STYLES IS SO DEAD ON!!!!!). i'm really, really, happy you are okay! the 401 was closed completely from milton to mohawk at about 1am last night, & even though the detour took me 3 times as long to get home, i can completely understand why. (thank you geebus)

and fuck the darkness, $125 a pop?! heehee, i can totally hear your scalper "fuck off" though, i've been present for a few (misspink adores scalpers you see), & i'm sure this one was just as classic.

(((((((((((((((((( good vibes to littlemisspink ))))))))))))))))))))

and next time i see you, i'm donating $5 povass dollars to your insurance deductable fund!!!!!!!

drive extra safe everybody!

Ya know - I think I'm in more shock that The Darkness was sold out!?!!!??!

But seriously, thanks for all the good vibes and kind words!

On a side note, (no pun intended) driving the rest of the way home we counted 12 other cars in the ditch... and that was only in a span of 40kms.

The show wasn't all that bad, but you'd have to get all of the '70's Queen and AC/DC references, and take them with a grain of salt...and it didn't hurt that that our tickets were paid for by the record company! The rye and cokes on the house didn't hurt either. [smile]

Incidentally, scalpers offered us $125 each for our tickets. That sure would have been a lot of table dances!

Seriously, glad to hear that everyone made it home ok.

Chuck

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jon:

I'm sure you can find some English dude to slip into a jumpsuit for you if you need it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't happen to know one off hand, do you?

Nah sorry....man this cape really chaffs my neck sometimes.. [big Grin]

Archived