Jambands.ca

acoustic guitar players step inside

secondtube

I am only getting an image and the video isnt playing, but I am guessing that it seems faster than it is, or is faster than it seems.

Everything is gimmicky since Jimi and Jerry left...... [Wink]

They're ALL a bunch of pedal wankers now!

By the way, I was going to request Machine Gun from The Band Of Gypsies last night, but I didnt.

Can you play it next week?

I'm an acoustic guitar hack and I'd like to think a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to acoustic guitar. I'd say he's brilliant. His technique is excellent. He reminds me a lot of Kaki King on guitar and Victor Wooten on bass. Throw in a little Leo Kottke for good measure. I don't think his 'feel' is quite as good as Leo's but he's f*&king brilliant nonetheless.

I agree with Esau. Stanley Jordan is a pioneer tapper who could do that stuff no problem; same with the late great Michael Hedges ( he was strictly an acoustic jazz/world guitar innovator ).

Lenny Breau could whip his ass any day. The death thing gets in the way unfortunately.

The guy is clearly brilliant. No melody? He keeps coming back that slightly bluesy theme just a pluck' that low string.

This is typical. Some guy is clearly a wonder and people are so friggin' jaded all they can do is piss on him and compare him saying what he is not or who he is copying or who is better. Shame on you secondtube! You are normally such a class act.

Pedal wanker? Jimi and Jerry? Not a pedal in sight. The only "trick" I detect is that he is using very light strings and dropped D tunning (at least the E string).

Steve (NOT Norm)

hey now, not only did i NOT say who he was or was NOT better than, i didn't mention pedal wanking...

i'm sure booche was joking about it.

anyways, yes a basic theme is the best i got out of the playing...

i heard very little, if any melody.

i think its a little early for you N_n.

reread both my posts, and tell me if you weren't a little quick to judge there!!!

Yeh, I was also immediately thinking Don Ross and Michael Hedges as mentioned. Also Tim Reynolds, best known for playing with Dave Matthews but a scary-good acoustic player in a similar mold as well.

Of course, it's not fair to judge a guy completely on this one clip. Comparisons to Keller Williams or Don Ross I can see to some extent, but both of those guys do a lot of other things as well. And this guy probably also does a lot of other things too, this is after all just a 2 minute clip.

Is what he's doing here technically impressive and tricky to do? Absolutely. Is he extremely talented? Absolutely. Has he worked his ass off for years to get this good? Absolutely. Anything else, I don't think you can judge from this one clip, but I'd certainly personally want to hear more based on this. My two-cents.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by 6ftgroove:

how many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

one to do it...

...and six others to say "I could of done it better than that."

(bu-dum-bum)

No, it's 100. One to change the light bulb, and 99 to stand around and argue that Steve Vai could do it better.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm with stupid above me, although I don't necessarily need to hear more. Technically speaking he is very good, especially the tapping up near the headstock. Tonewise I'm not sure but he is well practiced in the Humber College Music Studies sort of way.

But I wouldn't be interested in hearing more because I don't like arranged rehearsed music all that much. That's just me though.

Archived