Jambands.ca

The Opera House Sucks.

I can see over folks heads there.Perhaps you need to stand on a phone book next time?

I got no problems with the venue,seen many a show there and never had a problem,even when I was caught video taping the Mules first show there,the security told me to stop and I said I cant until the song is over.Was all good,even let me back in after I took the video camera to the car...or so they thought.

I agree with dirty dima...

A little fart like me cant see shit from the floor... especially yesterday considering randolph sits down... I just couldnt see!!!

I actually think the sound is pretty good though, especially from upstairs..

and the show was KILLER! those boys are really crazy!

yeah i was thinkinmg that all night, the stage is way to low, i couldn't see any thing form anywhere except on the stairs or on the table i was standing on to see.. i guees it because it was a theater and it was designed for everyone sitting down. but i would have really liked to see the band,

The stage was low and hard to see but I thought it was a great show..the sound was great and there was a lot of room beside the bar on the floor to dance and see the band...

all in all besides the low stage..the vibe was great. Although security was a little over the top when I came in

OK, I'm confused here. If we're talking about the same Opera House that I know, there are at least 3 levels on which to enjoy the show. First, there is the floor level, where I could see if you're short you might not have the best time. Just a few short paces up the stairs at the back of the floor, there is a second level which is elevated so that you are roughly at eye level with the band, at least two feet over the heads of those in the front section. As a general rule, the front of this section tends to be the best for both sightlines as well as sound while allowing a bit more room to boogie and breathe than the crowded floor.

If that doesn't work for you, it seems to me that this venue has a balcony. I don't think they open it for every show, but when they do it should be very easy to get the kind of view that you are after.

I've seen good and bad shows there acoustics-wise.

The Mule kill at the Opera House.

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives put on my best concert of 2003 there too.

However, Galactic sucked both times I saw them there: the acoustics swallowed their sound and zapped the band and audiences' energy levels. Hey, if Houseman is a highlight, then you know you are in for a bad Galacatic show.

Still, with the right band and the right set-up, the Opera House can be special, but it might not be the best venue for jam-type bands, or larger ensembles.

Yeah I have mixed feelings about the opera house. It definetly isn't a consistent venue. Sometimes the sound is downright awful, worse than pretty much anywhere except for the Kool Haus. But I've been there when the sound has been fantastic too, it's pretty much always been good for tND and Mule. I think the worst I ever heard it there was for Keller.

I think a good sound man who knows how to work a tricky room makes all the difference.

I also like all the multi levels, and the little secret room up in the attic.

When I saw Oysterhead there, I felt closterphobic because I was on the second floor and the ceiling was so low above me that I couldn't even stand up to see the show and there was shit in the way and I couln't see. So I moved to the top balcony and I felt a little better about the view.

umm Oysterhead?

I think you mean Massey Hall...

I myself am not a total fan of the room... yes the floor area is large and open but it deffinately gets to congested... and being short as well, I could not find a good vantage point anywhere except the stairway to the VIP section which we were eventually kicked out of...

I will say RR kicked ass in that room though... everyone was getting down... it could very well be Massey Hall for him next too...

Archived