Jambands.ca

george w. does it again

meggo

The contractual obligation of a civil union should apply to any two consenting adults who wish to enter one. The word marriage is the real culprit here. The civil government should only issue civil unions. Let your neighborhood church, mosque, synagogue, temple, or sacred tree issue the paper with the scary 'M' word on it.

The civil law should apply to everyone equaly. If a private organization, such as a church, declines to issue you it's own thumbs-up, try another one.

Go Unitarian!

shalom

Bennyd and number 2, i definitely see both of your points and i personally appreciate that you made them eloquently... no references to 'dick-eating'... much nicer to read, and respond to!

i can't say i'm surprise that bush has taken this stance, but about amending the constitution.. that made me angry. well the whole thing made me angry, for the obvious issue of discrimination. it just seems like such an old-fashioned frame of mind to me... and i know he's got his voters to think of, etc.

i suppose i am being really idealistic and really unrealistic in my hope that he could just go the way of acceptance.

and i do try to respect other people's opinions... people have their religious beliefs, and i would never ask someone to question those, although admittedly i have a hard time when a religion requires that you discriminate so blatantly.

on the other hand, i know that many catholics who feel strongly in their faith still see the merits of same-sex marriage and are not against it.

so where does this leave me... honestly i don't know! i guess i just wish that people could just play nice without regard to sexual orientation, or race, or religion, etc etc etc. ha.

my 5 cents (that was more than a 2 cents)

Originally posted by meggo:

and i do try to respect other people's opinions... people have their religious beliefs, and i would never ask someone to question those, although admittedly i have a hard time when a religion requires that you discriminate so blatantly.

Precisely. If you want to believe in fairy tales that's fine with me, but when your belief in those fairy tales starts causing discrimination on the scale described by Esau, then you'd better start questioning things... or explaining yourself. Rationally.

quote:

Originally posted by Bennyd:

My problem is his call for an amendment to the constitution. The whole thing is to divert attention from real problems (the corrupt rebuilding of Iraq, a sluggish economy, and of course broad misuse of intelligence leading up to the invasion.) Just to say it flat out most Americans are not redneck hicks.

--Don’t blame me I voted in the majority--

Amen to that! And I'm from a long line of rednecks.

peace

first let me thank Meg for the compliment. Second let me also tell you that I agree with your ideas. I want the Republicans out. Reason being, is I believe they are putting their own citizens in possible jeopardy.. So, if Bush wants to alienate himself from a large contingent of voters, then I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. However, I think I am being a little incensitive to the subject at hand. I am completely against manipulation of people's lives by an organization that they are not involved with. Marriage is founded on the principle of a union between two people who love each other. I do not understand how that can be viewed as morally or ethically wrong. If an organization has a different opinion towards that then it should be allowed to influence those that choose to be part of that organization. What is wrong is for an organization to have the power to make decisions for those who are not a part of it.

Also, stereotyping is quite dangerous. I can tell you that human beings are extremely similiar anywhere you go. To make a statement like all Americans are rednecks is ridiculous. And to say that all American's think are prejudice against Arabs and gays is equally as ridiculous. Sure, there are ignorant people all over the world, but, there are far outnumbered by good people-- Don't hold 280 million people responsible for what there gov't decides. anyways, that is my one cent.

You can marry your cousin or even siblings and have the same rights as anyone else,so why should this be any different or "illegal"?

And my comparison is ONLY to prove how dam stupid all this is.

No one should be denied the rights everyone else has,making it illegal is just wrong and creates even MORE discrimination within a world that already has more then it should.

quote:

Originally posted by piegin:

Might want to re-read that... All I meant by it was, if we dont allow homosexuals to marry and this is discrimination... What about pedo joe and the people out there in love with 13 yr old children. Are wee gonna start allowing them to get married because its discriminating if they cant?
???
?

My god brother...mushrooms or not that is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time here,we are talking about ADULTS here....not adults & children.Theres a very distinct and obvious difference.Doesnt take alot to to see that.That arguement doesn't even make a lick of sense.

I'm gonna drop out of this thread...I cannot argue or even bother to try and debate with that sort of thinking.

[Wink]

I guess its gonna be hard 4 me to get used to seeing a dude standing on the corner making out (happend the other day and almost vomited) with his husband / manwife. I guess the whole thing just creeps me out a little too much.....

And I agree I dont make any sense, wait a minute who am I?

Im also scared how im gonna react tripping out of my skull, walking down the street and seeing such a situation.

WHoooa, Where am I again...

Poor Poor Elmo... Im sure ill read this in a few hours when things are a little less intense and I will be wondering what the hell i was even thinking..... LMAO!

thats ok piegin, you were brought up in an extremely conservative household...

if you were to think any differently, i think your parents would kill you.

None of us should tell you how to think, your opinions are your own, and your values are determined by yourself.

I'm still kinda curious how you associated gay marriage with underage sex/marriage.

[big Grin]

ok...thats a far stretch, but i guess a fair one...

just you will raise a few eyebrows when you compare the sanctability of the two...

i dont think anyone thinks if they allow gay marriages (which they already do), that they are eventually going to allow old men to marry little girls, nor will they allow man to marry animals, or any other far stretch.

the whole "if we give a this than b & c will have to have it too" argument is bunk.

The issue of gay marriage deals with two consenting (human) adults. This should be more than obvious. Removing the barriers to marriage for gays and lesbians does not remove those barriers for polygamists (sp.?), pedophiles, necrophiliacs or people into bestiality. There is no slippery slope here.

Equality Rights

Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Section 15 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I am currently writing a paper on this very subject. I too do NOT enjoy watching two men make out but I DO enjoy my rights and freedoms as a Canadian citizen. I believe that consenting adults may do as they please. I have the choice and freedom to either look away or change the channel etc. And for the record, young girls CAN marry old men with the consent of their parents...Have a look at the Blackmore Morman cult in Creston BC...I lived there and saw it with my own eyes...I don't agree with it but it is happening.

quote:

Originally posted by Super Freak:

Section 15 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I am currently writing a paper on this very subject. I too do NOT enjoy watching two men make out but I DO enjoy my rights and freedoms as a Canadian citizen.

does anyone like watching Anyone else make out? i got into london airport on valentine's day, and there was this couple beside me, making out SO loudly and it was really nauseating. really. maybe i'm just bitter?? but yeah. PDAs are cute if you're old and holding hands. they're not if you're young with raging hormones and groping hands.

PS have you ever seen an old couple wearing matching outfits? love that.

Archived