Jambands.ca

Any guitar players out there....

Rary8

Any of you rubes play guitar?

I play an Ibanez Musician through a Fender silverface.

My rack holds a GCX switching unit with:

a Boss OD 1 overdrive,

a Maxon OD808,

a MXR Distortion+ (script)

Boss Octave pedal,

Q-tron envelope filter.

I also have a roland GR 100 processor in there for space toys and tuning but I don't really like the digital sound. It is good to play through headphones though, as my fender doesn't have the option.

My Boss analog delay pedal is broken, i may get it fixed or just save up for an ADA rack unit.

But that's my baby. I'd like to get my Musician modded with Jerry specs but it's a matter of money and lazyness.

What you all play??

My secondary guitars are a Jap Strat with midi hook up to a GR 09 guitar synth and a Bob Weir signature Ibanez.

They just hang on the wall most of the time. The strat whammy is cool to have for spacey stuff but I really am into my Musician. The Weir model is really cool. Sounds great. Neat neck but a little unweildy for me. I'm a shrimp.

hey I have an Ibanez musicain as well(bought it from giggles) I also have an AS-400 which is like the scofield AS-200 but with a solid neck through design. What year is your weir? does it have the vines on the neck? Nice looking GTR but i have yet to play one. if you ever think about parting with it you should let me know [smile]

are you happy with your GCX? been thinking about getting something along those lines

I have an '88 Ibanez Performance 12 string acoustic (11 string at the moment) and a 6 string semi acoustic that was given to me by a friend,its a cheaper clone type,called Vantage,not the greatest guitar but plays well and was free so what the hell eh.

I'm not a serious player,I don't play as much as I should or even as much as I used to,but I still fuck around with them every now & then.

I also have a no name mandolin made in the USSR,mostly grabbed it because it was made in communist Russian and being Russian myself,it was hard to turn down.Although it has a more european sound ooposed to a memphis style,still a nice keep sake.

I have two banjos,although one has been on loan to a friend in the US for quite sometime now.

A Deering Sierra (sadly on loan) given to me by my uncle while I was a teenager and a real low end make called a Dana,which needs a new skin,machine heads and general maintence all round.

Still waiting for Paisley to get his guitar going so we can put together a little acoustic duo.Somthing with a rational,positive (Paisley) and anger,agnst (Esau) driven feel to it. [Wink]

Nah, my Weir is the standard and not the Tree of Life one. Those retain quite a value as there were not that many made.

My least expensive guitar was the the Musician. And it is my favourite by far. I would probally sell my strat if I could get a decent price for my synth. Sadly those things don't retain value much either.

The weir is nice. The sustain is fantastic and the neck offers the coolest "access" to the high frets. All those bob comps i.e. china cat are very smooth to play. But the really long neck makes it hang down on the strap. you have to hold it up. It is very tiring. Bob's own model was modified so that the strap was actually connected on the side of the neck and not in the standard place where it connects to the body. IT is strange that this didn't happen with the retail models.

yes I am a big fan of the musicain. great tone. But my #1 guitar is the As-400. The tone on this is smooth as butter with a sustain into next week. here's a picture.

-

Not a picture of mine but, I just bought a second one 2 days ago, should have it early next week and here's the a couple of pics he sent me

-

-

-

anyone intersted in ibanez guitars should check out http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/ The forum is a great resource.

quote:

Originally posted by Esau:

Still waiting for Paisley to get his guitar going so we can put together a little acoustic duo.Somthing with a rational,positive (Paisley) and anger,agnst (Esau) driven feel to it.
[Wink]

gonna hook up a new brand new ax soon (keep the other for drunken late night solo garage jammin) so Paisau Esley can take Polo's by storm!

american fender strat sunburst

musicman rd115 amp(tube driven, tans reverb)

boss stage tuner -->

boss od/distortion -->

boss octave -->

dod envelope filter -->

crybaby e135 wah -->

dunlop rotovibe -->

boss digital delay/reverb(don't really like this peday)

my acoustic is a Larivee d-03(love this guitar)

i have another fender beater acoustic and a fender travel guitar....

I really like the GCX. I wouldn't want any other system. I have a ten space rack four of which are taken up by front mounted stomp boxes. I don't use the Ground Control just the Ground link. I have the Ground Control but i just don't need that level of complication. I'd sell it if i could.

I can access all of my stomps by the ground link. Eight in all. It keeps them safe off the floor and away from accidents and wear and tear. It also keeps them at eye level so i can tweek them easier. True bypass also keeps the lines a little clean.

But on the other side. Try lugging around a ten space rack. Not easy. I could trim down to a six space if i lay the boxes in a tray but right now I like 'em front mounted.

Another consideration is cables. The GCX system uses dozens of cables. If you want to use top of the line (which one should) it is VERY EXPENSIVE. You almost need to make your own cables. Which I don't yet.

If you have anymore questions I could give more details.

I've been rocking the samick v400 for a while but i finally scored enough doe to pick up my sweetheart.

It's a Bontempi Classic....(probably haven't heard of them)

I shaved the neck for smoother play.

Through in some P-90 pickups (awesome pick-ups, so sensative and tonal)

I also through on a Pizher pickup in the bridge (pure Jimmy Herring styles)

I pulled off the whammy and through on a zhammy bar. (Z-shaped whammy bar)

Just yesterday i finished it all off with gold hardware and nylon classical strings!

The tone that I created through this baby is the perfect sound for "face melting guitar solos"

God I love my Bontempi Classic!!!

-

quote:

Originally posted by Rary8:

Any of you rubes play guitar?

I play an Ibanez Musician through a Fender silverface.

A Fender silverface what?

My main guitar is an Ibanez Roadstar II (21 frets, two humbuckers [the bridge is a DiMarzio], body shaped like a Strat but with a semi-sculpted top, orange/gold finish [a la PRS]). The main amp these days is a Fender Champ 12 (white snakeskin tolex and all), and I use (in order) a Guyatone OD-2, a Guyatone MD-3, and a Guyatone PS-3.

Other random seldom-used gear includes:

• Gibson L6-S
  • Fender (silverface, ca. '74) Champ
  • Roland Cube 20
  • MusicMan Silhouette

Non-guitar gear includes a Boss DR-5 beatbox and a Yamaha MT1X ministudio.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by boogieknight:

hey I have an Ibanez musicain as well(bought it from giggles) I also have an AS-400 which is like the scofield AS-200

That's a nice looking guitar!

My musician is the 300 model. I bought it from Songbird in T.O. for 400 and change. Not a mint axe but a nice player. I would like to pick up a MC 400 or 500 in real nice condition but that will be in the future. I might try my hand at "Jerryifing" this one first before I try it on the top models.

i understand that people appreciate good tone but specifically 'jerrifying' a guitar will make you want to play like jerry all the time.

why not check the specs and figure out how you play...fit it to your style a bit more.

you'll only sound more genuine and nobody'll ever hear you killing a dead lick if your'e half in the bag some time at a jam.

you've got to give the man some respect!!!

I don't really have a problem wanting to play like Jerry all the time. But I do understand what you are getting at.

Jerry is ninety percent of my influence. At least in this stage of my playing/life. I don't really have a problem emulating him. There is so much to learn rhytmically, harmonically from his playing that I could only really learn if I studied jazz.

Which I don't. And don't want to at this point in my life.

But again i do understand what you mean. I am very conscious of not trying to sing like him or write songs like him. I acutally stay away from the creative process because of that (right now) I also spend time learning other players stuff Like Betts' "Jessica". Just so I don't fall into a Garcia Pigeon hole.

But frankly, why listen to Dickey or Trey ( or whoever) when I can listen to Jerry. I only mean that in a metaphoric way, cuz i do listen to them. But It's Jerry's approach to music that made me fall in love with music. Page and Hendrix are wicked. But I ain't in love with them.

Besides have you ever heard an Ibanez Musician with the stock pickups replaced with Super 2's and an extra pickup placed in the middle slot. Not to mention an envelope filter sent through a guitar with a unity gain buffer.

It's beautiful.

I imagine so is a Paul Reed Smith. Maybe I'll save up for one of those too.

I'm giving you a long reply(s) because I actually think what you are saying is VERY IMPORTANT. It is a major concern to me that I don't end up just a copycat. I think about it alot. But I also realize that one must go with one's strengths. If it seems to be working don't arbitrarily change it. But constantly re-evalute and analyse what you are doing.

I wouldn't harp on Stevie Ray Vaughn for loving Hendrix. In the end he sounded quite different, but it is obvious that he learned to play every Hendrix tune there was.

Remember how Dylan sounded just like Guthrie in his early days. Yet we all listened to that and say we love classic folk Dylan. Hell he thought he was Guthrie! Dylan didn't get original until right before his electric change.

I also think that the Jam bands that are original should really stick with what they do best. Just go with it. Look at Nero! Fucking Wicked!. Diesel Dog, Cavern etc. They all rock out. And more importantly where will they be as players and writers in four or five years.

...but...if they always stay in the same groove funk trap...they will all sound like each other. Fine. Maybe. Still fun to do and see. But that would never have been enough for Garcia or Anastasio.

Jerry and Trey definately got to the point where every song must be played differently and they have to re-invent their own rhythms (and harmonies somewhat) for each song to have it's own memorable identity.

To me, that is what it means to style oneself after Jerry. It's a self correcting mechanism in my opinion. It's also why Phish sounds so unlike the Dead but are the only ones who really graduated to a complete entity on their own. The only ones who seem to move the same amount of energy around IMHO (remember, they were a Dead Cover band once too).

I think for them it was a conscious decision.

I have a pretty good set of of gear, I've never written it down so here goes. I've used a whole bunch of different stuff (guitars, amps, effects) in studio situations but for the most part this is my live gear set up. I've got a good set of road equipement, that has stood up to many road beatings... probably 300 shows...

Guitars:

*Ibanez "Artist" or Gibson E138 copy -80s (it's not labeled an Artists but it has that look, it also has no serial number, I think it comes from the original copys that were made, and which Ibanez got sued for.. it's a beauty..)

*Yamaha Acoustic/Electric APX-4A

Effects:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Boss Tuner / Seiko Tuners

Dunlop Wah and Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah

Boss Compressor

Boss Super Overdrvie

Boss Distortion DS-1

Boss Super Chours

DOD Phaser

Boss Delay

Acoustic Effects

Boss Acoustic Processor

Berhinger DI

Amps:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Fender Red Knob Twin

I like the looks, and I would imagine I'd like the tone of that AS-400. My next guitar is going to have to be a semi-hollow body. J'aime le sustain, Non? I'm playing an Ibanez Artist (sunburst). Let's see,

I also use:

Boss RC20 Loop Station

Line 6 DL4 (green delay)

Pro Co Vintage Rat

Ibanez TS 9

Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Korg Tuner (not rack, small one)

Through my '65 Fender Twin (reissue)

I like hearing about people's rigs/setups...it gives me ideas.

G

Oh yeah my electric/acoustic is a rosewood Fender...it's pretty sweet.

Archived