Jambands.ca

Wassabi broke up

weezy

from ox on the Upstream board:

quote:

wassabi collective played there last show the other night . stephen ( drums ) has moved to saltspring island to work at an organic farm and decompress . sad , these guys were starting to get noticed

I thought they were finished a while ago when the marimbas left, but now it's official. I'm sure there'll be a spin off band eventually...

Boo! Worst news I've heard all day... I absolutely LOVE Melissa's voice... I guess I'll have to get by on the 2 shows I have on CD... Anyone got any other recordings besides:

11-03-02 Pepper Jack's, Hamilton, ON

08-16-03 The Rivoli, Toronto, ON

I'd love to hear a little more of them... I thought they had some sick beats and nice jams... Really a damn shame...

i don't know why people are so harsh on wassabi..i personally think they are really nice folks but maybe that's just me...well, this is just a shame, i am sure something new will come about...i definitely love melissa's voice; she has a real presence. I have never danced as hard and been so happy as dancing to wassabi.

Does anyone have the show from Pepperjacks last sept.? That would be sweet.

I find it funny that people don't 'get' why otherse dislike the Wassabi. It might have something to do with them being the textbook stereotype of agrarian aquarian left coasters with distinct overtones of culty weirdness. They actually kind of scare me the way certain acidheads on the lot can. Plus their music is pretty generic.

That's actually a good point about someone's dream dying. None of us should take that too lightly. I think on the other hand though, and Wassabi is the perfect example, alot of bands take an oath of poverty to try and get by while enjoying some of the more liberal aspects of your twenties. I wonder how many of these groups think that they're going to go somewhere and how many think it's just a fun ride. Because the downside is heavy in that you've spent a good chunk of your time invested in a band and likely your work experience and even perhaps education have suffered as a result.

The line that always comes to mind when I think of them is from something Pitchfork said about the Cheese and their fans: 'acid devouring gypsies spending the most productive years of their lives driving around in vanagons'. True of alot of us sadly (perhaps).

Archived