Jambands.ca

memorable albums from your youth

doubleB

Great thread GM

You know what album covers always freaked me out?

That Phil Collins album where it is just his big balled dome staring at you... no jacket required I think. QUIT STARING AT ME!!!!! Lionel Ritchie always freaked me out too..something doesen't seem right about that dude

i didn't like the sticky fingers album when i was little, ofcourse the fly was really open back then too.

i quite liked the satanic majesties request album cover when i was little though, i still have it all crackerjackish...

my parents were also into musicals when i was little - guys and dolls, west side story and doris day movies, but i liked them.

i also liked ziggy stardust - learned that one young

and my father was a beatles freak - listened to the green and red apple compillations a lot....

I remember sneaking into my brothers room to listen to records. I would always have to be real brave while I dug through album covers of Sid Viscous and Johnny Rotten to get to the Beatles Albums.

I also remember laying awake while my parents had parties and listening to the "one of a kind voice" of Hank Wiliams crackling on the record player.

2 major records come to mind for me.

Looney Tunes from K-tel, and the 45 of Star Wars Medley by meco.

Looney Tunes had a couple of Alvin and the Chipmunks songs, and the ever-so-funny Shaving Cream.

Lyrics:

http://www.terrygajraj.com/albums/dingaling/lyrics/shaving_cream.html

The Star Wars Medley is a major disco rendition of various themes. At one point, I swear there is a Jawa saying "Wonderbar" in it.

Good thread! It's really a wonder I turned out the way I did with the music I was subjected to at an early age...

On one side, my Mom - Barry Mannilow, Dan Hill, Air Supply (what kind of a fuckin name is that anyway)

On the other, Dad with classical and the Irish Rovers (green alligators, long-necked beasts and a slim chance in brain damage to children under 6 yrs)

HOW DID I SURVIVE?

a)taking my parents albums and playing them at 45 (Air Supply now much better)

b)Hooked on Classics - loved this album as a kid - disco remix medleys of classical music

c)my cousins who babysat me - sure it was hand me down disco and Bay City Rollers lp's but they were mine!

The day of truth? Another cousin, Linda-Lee, the black trans-am driving, chain smoking role model that she was, slapped me silly for loving Abba and handed me the album that would forever change the way I look at music...

VAN HALEN - VAN HALEN

Been running with the devil ever since.......

I was lucky that in between the Englebert Humperdink and Paul Anka albums, my parents had a few of the early beatles albums, as well as the Red and Blue collections.

For me, in Grade 6, it was all about Deep Purple, Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and whatever blues albums I could find (Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Bluebreakers etc.).

scary album cover for me was bat out of hell...

the worst tape i can think of (yeah tape) was the good ol' WWF Hulkhogan workout tape!

seriously though, my parents were into elvis, clapton, beatles, stones, and my father was always into Lee Michaels-which was a very good band IMO.

Hey, thought I'd attempt a thread.. seems there has been a lull in good chats lately.

I can think of a couple records my folks had that always rubbed me the wrong way.. not musically but the covers..

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours.. (something about that chick hanging off the guys boot that bugged me)

Billy Joel- Stranger.. Billy lying in bed with a creepy white mask on the pillow, gave me many a nightmare.

Favorites to listen to??

ELO-( the one with strange magic and dont bring me down)

Beatles-Revolver/ abbey road- i learned young

Elton John- greatest hits.. i think every kid encountered that album with the white suited elton

so theres my attempt! welcome to winter!

I really dug the Strange Brew soundtrack when I was a kid!

But the one album that really stands out in my youth was Pink Floyd's The Wall. Luckily my mother appreciated it at the time (she could relate to the story about Roger's father not coming back home from the war) so I was fortunate enough to be in a car with her while we sang along to Another Brick in the Wall pt2 before she would drop me off at school! smile.gif" border="0

I have a beautiful Album/Christmas Spirit Storry to share.

There is a Hank Williams Album that I had been looking for for years,(he recorded it under a different name),it is comprised completly of spoken word kinda songs. I had been to many different record stores and had been told that it would be costly if I ever did find it.

Last Boxing day Davey-Boy, Booche and I were partying in Kingston, we met some complete stragers who invited us up to thier apartment. The apartment was full of various odds and ends that they had been collecting.

...and what to my wondering eyes did appear?

YES the album, I was thrilled jsut to be able to see what it looked like after years of reading about it. I said just that to the dwellers who replied "Well Merry Christmas, it is yours"...I thought I was going to cry.

Anyway just a story that makes me smile inside.

The first tape I ever owned was the Mini-Pops's "Video killed the radio star" I listen to that constantly on my Fisher Price Boom Box...

I was also introduced to the Beatles and the Who at a very early age.. "Tommy" and "The Kids are all right".. were my favourites although I was constantly tormented with "Tommy can you hear me..."

Interesting...My mom was an Elvis freak (was that why I made the pilgrimage to Graceland this summer?) while my dad listened wxclusively to truck-drivin' music (Betcha didn't even know that was a genre - Teddy Bear, Phantom 409, Hello I'm a Truck etc.etc.etc), so as a kid I got my I-IV-V's well ingrained.

The first album (yes, album) I remember buying was Billy Joel's Glass Houses, which I still think is a pretty good record, but THE album that changed my world: Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. It's still one of my favorite musical collections. All the lyrics are by Shel Silverstein. Every song is about sex and/or drugs and I knew the album by heart when I was nine (though I had no clue what 'Pennicillin Penny' or 'Acapulco Goldie' were referring to). They even played that year at the Moncton Coliseum but my mom wouldn't let me go. Wonder why not?

red sovine.....yep, that was my childhood.

remember when we heard teddy bear at the flea market in the parking lot and frontenac mall, catphish? i could cry every time i hear it.

red sovine and mozart and hymns in church. oh, and kenny rogers and elvis.