Jambands.ca

Any bakers in the house?

CyberHippie

I'm talking desserts, not ganja (although I do recognize that ganja will make you want desserts) ;)

I made a strawberry peach pie last night, to take up north to a cottage this weekend. However I realized once it was too late, that I had forgotten to add any sugar. Think it's a total right off? Should I be trying to whip another up before we leave?

If you used really ripe Ontario peaches you may be ok, in fact some people might prefer that to adding sugar. If not you could perhaps sprinkle brown sugar extensively and warm it up in the oven. Or if you have lattice on the top get a food-grade syringe and inject aspartame :)

(I'm just waiting for the homosexual jokes to come out of this reply. Bring it on you close-minded jerks :)

It was supposed to have at least 3/4 of a cup of sugar. I did use ontario peaches, I don't think they were super ripe though, but they weren't hard either. I'm thinking the strawberries and blueberries might sweeten it up a little. The brown sugar is a good idea, maybe throw some ice cream on the side too? I dunno... I really don't have time to make another...

Maybe you could lift/peel off the top, carefully put the sugar in (maybe sprinkle it all over), and carefully stir it in, then replace the top? I'd almost suggest making a simple syrup with the sugar (take the sugar, and add just enough water to make it dissolve; doing it in a saucepan over medium heat helps), and injecting it in through the top, but that'd increase the water content of the pie, so I'm not sure it'd work.

You might also try

http://www.foodtv.com/

and see if there are any questions/answers/chatrooms that'd help. Another one would be:

http://www.chatelaine.com/applications/forums/fserver-jsp/8/

which is Chatelaine magazine's food forum.

Aloha,

Brad

peaches, blueberries & strawberries are pretty naturally sweet as it is, so the sugar in the recipe probably has more to do with giving the filling a thicker consistency than just sweetening it. you could give it a go as is (although the filling will probably be a bit more runny), and maybe serve with ice cream as you suggested. but if it isn't baked yet, you COULD just carefully remove the top, scrape the pie filling into a bowl, stir the sugar in, put it back in the pie, let sit for a bit (to help it dissolve), and then bake.

sounds like a damn good pie though! :D

Go for the gusto and serve it as is with Vanilla Ice Cream or real whip cream that's been sweetened with confectioner's sugar or a fine sugar of some kind. Trying to take the top off a baked pie is like trying to take the top off the Olsen Twins...barely legal and very dangerous.

Yeah, it's not baked right now, but I still don't think I could get the top off, it's sealed really well. I'd probably have to put a new top on, which is an idea. I think I'll go with the sugar injection and see how that goes...

Of course I could always just make another, then I'd have one just for me when I get home. mmmmm pie arhalrarhlrarhalrahrl....

Thanks for all your suggestions folks.