Jambands.ca

~TONIGHT SLOWCOASTER RETURNS TO HAMILTON~

kc

Their last show with Diesel Dog rocked!

slocoroadsm.jpg

Cape Breton's Slowcoaster is coming back to Pepper Jack's Wednesday, February 23rd.

Very well worth the mid-week show.

www.houseofrock.ca

Slowcoaster

Coming from the island of Cape Breton, Slowcoaster offers something different from the traditional Celtic tunes for which the area has become so well known - something which reflects another side of the island's music scene.

The band represents a younger generation who has grown up with the honesty and sense of tradition so evident in the Celtic scene, but also with the 1960s pop and country records of their parents, the flashy sounds and visuals of Much Music, and the unique, original sounds coming from the vibrant local underground scene. This mish-mash of influence and style has produced irresistibly catchy songs which are both honestly written and undeniably danceable. The music is a fusion of funk and reggae, with hints of rock, jazz, hip-hop and even afro-Cuban rythyms forming a distinctively original sound.

Slowcoaster started to take shape in November 1999 when singing, song-writing, guitarist Steven MacDougall and drummer Devon Strang returned home to Cape Breton Island from Vancouver, British Columbia and hooked up with Mike LeLievre, a well-traveled local guitar player who took to playing bass guitar like it was his birthright. MacDougall brought with him a lifetime of tales which came to life in his songs. LeLievre and Strang provided a solid and innovative rhythm section when driving MacDougall's epic guitar and vocal melodies, sometimes taking center stage during sparse ballads, hip-hop influenced funk, or the nearing-the-edge-of-insanity of some nonsensical scrum song. Lelievre's innovative grooves blend with MacDougall's guitar work and vocals weaving complex counterpoint melodies that are the fruits of inspiration, intuition and a whole lot of attention. In the Summer of 2002, percussionist Darren Gallop joined Strang and set into motion another interweaving duo, both offsetting and supporting the strings. Congas accentuate syncopated funk-leaning songs and add a well-considered fullness to an already rich sound.

Slowcoaster has performed hundreds of shows in their hometown of Sydney, NS and throughout the Atlantic Provinces, building a fan-base by touring constantly and selling self-produced recordings from the stage. During the summer of 2002, a compilation of songs from their first album Jody's Garden and their second album Volume II replaced those recordings and became known as Leaves, as in "the one with the leaves on the cover". The band is currently working on their debut full-length recording which they expect to be ready by Spring 2004. Recently the band has been nominated for two East Coast Music Awards: "Best New Group" and "Alternative Recording of the Year" and singer Steven MacDougall will represent the Maritime Provinces in the 16th Annual National Songwriting Competition after winning the Regional portion of the contest for his song "Spanish Bay"!

Brad,I will make it down with my laptop to record this,no way can I miss getting to this one.

Last time SloCo hit the stage at PJC it was a non stop frenzy of rockin/jammin/out of control music from the first second to the last....

Right on kc,great call bringing these boys back.

in Toronto we have them playing with Hamilton's Flatt Street.

I totally agree with the Sublime/Manu Chao influences... But I also hear a Canadian-indie rock sound like Victoria's HOT HOT HEAT and also that dancy-indie rock a la Franz Ferdinan.

These guys have been going for a long time, and have turned out to be a very solid quartet.

Somebody in Hamilton, please tape this! Tapes of Slowcoaster shows are rare finds indeed, and we need more of them. I hope to be taping their Feb. 26 Mavericks show, and it'd be great to get as much of a SoOn run as possible.

Aloha,

Brad

I taped the last show when they were in Hamilton a while back. (Date of that show, anyone?) THe seamless sets one with Diesel Dog. From the soundboard. I'll put it onto cd in the next couple weeks sometime and then maybe I can send a copy to someone who can put it up on the 'internet.'

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Slowcoaster in Halifax on the 12th and enjoyed the show very much. They were a hell of a lot of fun!

If you're into musical exploration from a "jamband", then this doesn't quite do it, but they certainly know how to lay it down and keep your head bobbing the whole time. This is better drinkin' music than smokin' music.

That's rough Esau, can't count how many times I've been in that boat. If I wasn't just slipping this show in to the budget tonight I'd gladly get your cover, but the Rev is near the bottom of the collection plate himself, if you dig. Next time.

Speaking of Wednesday being Saturday, every day is Saturday during Reading Week. The only responsibility I've had this week is to show up at work everyday...at 4pm. I'll be there tonight, with a bit of a crew in tow, including kooky canooky, visiting the Hammer from Halifax. Should be a good time, looking forward to seeing Slowcoaster for the first time.

p.s. re: taping, I might have it covered. My roomate used to tape a lot and sort of got out of it over the past few months, but I think all his gear is still around and in working order...I'll see what I can do. Don't know if we can be bothered to pull the mics out, but a soundboard grab might be doable. I'll let y'all know tomorrow I suppose.

Thanks for the offer Rev its much appreciated but not necessary.Looks like I may (about 25% chance) be able to borrow a few bucks,which is really a drag given I shouldn't have to.

Just waiting on the doctors to finish their assments on my back and other medical issues and hopefully going back to a full time work week within the next month.Two more tests to do,one next week and the last in march 15..(fingers crossed)