Jambands.ca

Does anyone truly appreciate evil???

Paan

This dark/light relationship makes me think of Taoism, and the necessary complementarity of opposites it insists on, which raises the question, How do we get past it, and into something more "natural"?

Then you've got Gandhi, who insisted that there was no such thing as an evil person, only people caught up in evil circumstances, doing evil to satisfy those circumstances, and that usually a strong enough appeal to their moral conscience (sometimes occasioning the need for a miracle) can jar them to do the right thing.

Of course, Gandhi did end up shot for following this line of reasoning.

I mean, one part of the flick comes out at me, and its when Kurtz is discussing his first tour in 64 in Vietnam, and he tells the story of how his company were going around giving children in villages polo shots...And when they returned to the villages they vaccinated, they found a pile of "little arms." He remembered that moment as being the last moment he cried during his service---(now I realize its just a movie, but, I hesitate to think that there isn't a little truth in some of the situations that are depicted in the film) Kurtz then discusses how you need to remove your passions and emotions and accept moral terror in order to be successful in war...

that leads me to think--do people that commit evil acts need to justify their actions--do they find a way/means to persuade their moral judgement??

Where does the conscience fit in?

It all boils down to overcoming ego needs and living life for spiritual means...of course we all need to work to afford living, but living to work isn't healthy.

selfish living is inherently evil and it takes many people half their lives to realize this...personally, it took some creative writing to put it into perspective for me.

it's all about balance of good and evil...light and dark...nice and mean...whatever you're going to call it or complain about its biased diction...

we all need evil to realize what good is and how to achieve a righteous path.

now pass me that bill...

Damn!!! Paisley figured me out! And I was sooo close too! Two more souls and I would have gotten the free toaster oven!
aaahhhh, you can have mine still, i'm not using it.

and i looked at lazlo's link, and it was pretty much what i expected, although i have to admit some of it was mildly funny (in a lazlovian kind of way)

"I have a fondness for it myslef... if you really learn the true nature of it... in it's natural form, and not the man-made religeous version... not what they associate with Hitler, Stalin, Bush, and other mass murderers, etc.. (which are just severe mental cases, not evil)." - Paan

I think that's what was missed in my original post... no such thing as evil without the name, the definition or the people to categorize it... therefore evil IS man-made. Otherwise it's just sh!tty circumstances.

Actually, what got me into this train of thought (other than alot of wine and a little cynicism) was this nature show that was on at 3:30am... it was about this species of monkey (can't remember the name), but they were apparently our closest relatives in the ape world. Definitely one of the most interesting shows I've seen in a long time.

They seemed to have alot of loving traits like hugging, cuddling, tickling, and I swear they could laugh.

But they also had guarded borders and sent out war parties to attack other groups, there was infanticide with no apparent reason, rape, homosexuality, cannibalism... many of the things that in human terms many of us consider sin. And how human many of their facial expressions were... it was eerie.

It made me wonder if evil was a human invention, or a deep seed left over from an instinct in our past.