Jambands.ca

The trip of a lifetime:LSD

SevenSeasJim

Before 1960s' Flower Power, LSD was a medical wonder drug - a supposed treatment for mental illness. Then it became outlawed and discredited. But now a new generation is researching the medical benefits of psychedelic drugs.

"You realise that your feelings are beginning to change. You have to understand these drugs don't put things into your mind. You're very aware and in a subtle way this drug begins to change your perception - you're able to look at your same problem and feelings in a very different way."

Pam Sakuda, 58, is dying of cancer. Last year she took part in a controversial pilot project which uses psilocybin (pronounced sil-o-cybin), which comes from magic mushrooms, to help patients cope with the anxiety of being terminally ill.

From BBC News - Full Story

This is from that link,

I did 40g of mushrooms in one go once and became only too aware of my mortality. The effects they can have cannot be predicted and it's ridiculous to expect any meaningful research to come out of this....Ian Steele, Kettering, UK

I predicte that if you eat 40 grams of mushroom at once you will be VERY high.

I would maybe agree with that. Mushrooms are poisonous, so large amounts could do damage. While a trip now and again I'm sure is fine.

LSD on the other hand is not poisonous (alhtough very concentrated) and had not been linked to one direct death and has no known side effects (even the old "flashbacks" myth is being discredited these days, very rare indeed).

More LSD for magnum! :)

Edited by Guest

I did 40g of mushrooms in one go once and became only too aware of my mortality. The effects they can have cannot be predicted and it's ridiculous to expect any meaningful research to come out of this....Ian Steele, Kettering, UK

That's like eating an entire package of Gravol and concluding that it is an ineffective treatment for nausea.

I'm sure extreme doses of acid can't be good for you either. Like if you were to say, chug a two litre bottle of liquid.

Ever see SLC Punk? That doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

a guy i knew in toronto who claimed that he drank a big slug of water from a pitcher full of water and sheet trimmings. he had been cutting the lawn and was really thirsty.

he then laid down on the couch for a week and saw the beginning of the universe and floated through space.

not a reccommended activity :)

Micro Dot [From the Cactus family] 'from what I've heard' is far superior to all of the above. I have also heard that as a result of Its natural properties cannot be tested for afterwards.

I've only heard the term microdot used to describe LSD in pill form. Microdot acid is generally considered inferior as it may contain other chemicals, whereas with blotter you're likely to be getting clean gear.

ohhh yeah...do you remember the double barrels?

shudddders....nothing like realizing those crazy hot into freeeeezings was probably the rat poison....ewwwe.

Anyone know if there's any truth behind the whole...considered clinicly insane after X amounts of hits?

and is there any way to prove how much one has done?

Disability cheques would be glorious for a little while. :P

Mostly just curious. ;)

Howler, sounds like a rumor. Surely it fucks with your head after a few times, but there is no logic for claiming insanity after a precise number.

you should watch 'the beyond within', a 2 part series captured from the British Columbia learning channel. its funny to watch interviews of now very old scientists who dosed themselves in the 50's while the drug was being clinically tested.

I think the only claim about insanity that is worth taking seriously is whether someone were predisposed to it in the first place, and the experience confronted him/her with things that needed dealing with in an (8-10 hour long) inescapable way. Most people I've known like that came into the experience with huge (conservative) religious baggage, which meant mostly authoritarian restrictions against looking at the world in radically novel ways. That is bound to shake someone up, and can take a long time to get past. If you listen to testimonials among evangelicals, e.g., some deal with it by embracing their pre-shaken-up selves that much more firmly and coming out with guns blazing at the antagonising experience. Unfortunate, and sad, but there's a lot of that around.

I count that among the reasons why it's a drug to treat with a considerable amount of respect. It is, after all, the strongest drug known to us, which in this day and age is still no small feat.