Jambands.ca

Turning musical sacred cows into hamburger

bradm

wow. that's pretty interesting. a lot of it is kinda sour grapes to me. but interesting.

edit - I completely agree with Craig Finn of the Hold Steady, his paragraph was about LA Woman (Doors)

Edited by Guest

I like these takes on Nevermind by Wayne Coyne:

Nevermind had a poisonous, pernicious influence. It legitimised suffering.
If you think you're going to hear an utterly original, powerful and freaky record when you put on Nevermind, as a young kid might, Christ you're going to be disappointed. You're going to think, "Who is this band that sounds just like Nickelback? What are these drug addicts going on about?"

Not that I think Nirvana sounds like Nickelback but it's pretty good indictment on their unfortunate influence. Because I think in the end they influenced way more crap bands than good and nurtured too many negative personality types.

Listening to Nevermind takes me back to a really great period of my life. No reviewer can take that away. Plus I still really enjoy the album as a while and think the songs are good.

Because I think in the end they influenced way more crap bands than good and nurtured too many negative personality types.

Oh man. "unfortunate influence" is a pretty petty and irrelevant criticism of a work of art. But yeah, nickelback totally sucks and haven't written a song that comes anywhere close to anything on nevermind.

I've always tried to find the virtue or "special something" in albums that are deemed brilliant, or classic.

I have TRIED to do this with Pet Sounds a number of times. I still don't hear it. Like the comment was made, I've always loved God Only Knows. Amazing song, but serves well on its own. I never got the TuPac thingy either.

DSOM and Sgt. Pep's are fucking awesome thought. I don't care what they say. Often "prog rock" albums such as those are panned by people who are into more "raw" rock'n'roll. So, i can see where they are coming from. Hell, the punk movement fed on people who were tiring of the over-produced, and musically complex albums that were prevalent in the mid-70s. I will be listening to DSOM (and especially the Dub Side of the Moon) until im dead and gone. Sure, you tire of it sometimes. But go back to it a year later and you'll still find something new within it. A true mark of good art, IMHO. For some reason, i can't see doing that with a lot of 3-chord punk ... but that's just me.

Oh man. "unfortunate influence" is a pretty petty and irrelevant criticism of a work of art. But yeah, nickelback totally sucks and haven't written a song that comes anywhere close to anything on nevermind.

My statement was not meant to condemn the album as a work of art. Just commenting on its context. Although "Petty and Irrelevant" would make a kick ass user title.

"I'm... waiting for my man."

"Twenty-six dollars in my hand."

---

"and I'm rushing on my run, and I feel just like Jesus' son, and I guess that I just don't know, I guess that I jus don't know"

---

put me right in how I picture the Village was during those times

My statement was not meant to condemn the album as a work of art. Just commenting on its context. Although "Petty and Irrelevant" would make a kick ass user title.

Context indeed. Lots of good bands wouldn't even be formed if it wasn't for Nevermind. I'll take the good and ignore the bad in this case. Holy fuck does Nickelback ever suck though.

You're right about some of the negative personality types though, I saw a lot of people in high school adopt the perceived Cobain 'dropout lazy loser' attitude and that (IMO) was a pretty dumb thing to subscribe to.

Any chance to shit on Jim Morrison is ok by me.

Ditto!

Double-ditto! Good gawd, the Doors were a great band... except for that ponce who wrote and sang the lyrics. You're not the Lizard King, Jim... you're just a pretentious ass who's consumed too many drugs.

If you ask me, MC5 - Kick Out The Jams should be burned at the stake. Blah

I think I love you.I fucking hate that album and generally feel like cramming it up the ass of every pretentious "I'm down with the roots of punk" wannabe that spouts it's greatness.

I like Nevermind.

Jim Morrison-what are you guys talking about? He was a genius teen wet dream-a walking cock spouting maudlin, self absorbed, french lit induced, drug enlightened poetry-sooooo dreamy.Swoon.A GENIUS.(ummm ya triple ditto)