Jambands.ca

So... How is everyone??

shainhouse

I like posting these, cause I want to know how everyone is doing. I am fine over here across the pond. I spent the week in Iceland at their annual Airwaves Festival for my job, DrownedinSound.com and really, really enjoyed it. Now I'm back in the London grind for a week; heading back to Amsterdam next week. I hate flying.

So, and you folks?

I am doing fine too!

I got a new computer on the weekend and loving it.

i can't seem to stay away from it.Its just so much faster and can do so much more than my old one.

I am also celebrating.My family was here on the weekend and it was such a great party.

today my sister and brother -in law- came for the day and we drank wine all afternoon.

Please don't ask what I am celebrating but lets just say its so much fun.

I am loving every minute of it!

i'm enjoying renewing old acquaintances in Montreal, drinking my favorite beers and coffee, cooking up a storm and getting out to my favorite restaurants.

Aside from that I've got a book chapter, short theoretical paper and powerpoint presentation to write before Nov. 3rd which is a bit wild to contemplate, then it's off to Antigua for a workshop that i'm SUPER excited to be attending (not just 'cause it's in Antigua either)and a quick vacation in St. Lucia and Jamaica!

Gonna be a pretty crazy next couple of weeks.

Edited by Guest

i'm going to humber in toronto learning about international project management, log frame analysis and results based management. anyone know what the hell i'm talking about?? sounds pretty dry but its actually good stuff.

i'm also making it out to good amounts of live shows... friday i saw 'do make say think' at the phoenix followed by carlos del junco at the silver dollar. last night saw sisters euclid and most excitingly i spoke with kevin breit for the first time. he was sitting there looking a little lonely so we talked a few minutes. we talked about this song "40 days, 39 nights" which is off his first solo album (maybelle). i told him how much it moved me and that it was a pretty important song for me particularly about 4-5 years ago. he had kinda forgotten it but he was pretty clearly happy to hear it, and we hummed it together and it all came back and he said i've planted the seed with him and hopefully he'll crank it out soemtime soon.

that's about it!

Hey Shain, good to hear from you and glad all is well. Things here are swell.

Yea my travel has been limited to my bed in the morning then to work at Casa Loma, But im doing pretty well thanks for asking, learning that owning a house is not as easy as I thought it would be though

What do you do there Hickster? I've been meaning to visit Casa Loma for years and I got phorbesie to agree to come see it with me when we're in Toronto for Neil Young. Maybe you'll be our tour guide!

i'm going to humber in toronto learning about international project management, log frame analysis and results based management. anyone know what the hell i'm talking about?? sounds pretty dry but its actually good stuff.

That's kinda funny Kev, the presentation I'm giving at the workshop in Antigua (mentioned above) is a critique of Logframe and RBM approaches to monitoring development projects!

This is the workshop:

http://unfccc.int/cooperation_and_support/capacity_building/items/4080.php

blane i think you said you were busy the night of club d'elf, but brahim will be playing another show...here's the email, it sounds cool. and are you going to stevie?

Friday, Oct 26, 2007

Festival du Monde Arabe de Montreal

Théâtre Corona, 2490, rue Notre-Dame O., Montreal, Quebec, H2S 2K1, Canada.

$33 (Canadian). 514-931 2088, 514-790 1245. Info: http://www.festivalarabe.com/fma/content.jsp?sid=31177834210738050241828728902&ctid=ARTICLE&cnid=1000761

w/ Brahim Fribgane (oud, perc & voice), Dave "Fuze" Fiuczynski (guitar), Gavin Castleton (keyboards & beatbox), Mike Rivard (bass & sintir) & Erik Kerr (drums).

this is a big gig for us, and it would be most delightful if some of ya'll could make it. feel free to email me and let me know if you have a ride to offer anyone, or are in need of a ride and perhaps we can hook folks up. it's quite an honor for us to be invited to play at this festival, especially when such illustrious groups as The Master Musicians of Jajouka are also performing. they have been a huge inspiration to us, and if you're not familiar with them check out their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jajoukamasters. brahim will be playing again at the festival with malika zarra (www.myspace.com/malikazarra ) on nov 3, so if you're feeling it check that show out as well.

That's kinda funny Kev, the presentation I'm giving at the workshop in Antigua (mentioned above) is a critique of Logframe and RBM approaches to monitoring development projects!

This is the workshop:

http://unfccc.int/cooperation_and_support/capacity_building/items/4080.php

Cool! What the CIDA folk and other donors must realize is that a project being carried out by any given NGO can only contribute towards a program Goal/Impact, not acheive that goal. What a project CAN acheive is at the Outcome level (one down from Impact). In terms of M&E, whoever is doing the project design has to have the logic down, and make sure solid measurable indicators in place (s.m.a.r.t.). So then the person doing M&E can actually do his/her job.

Haha sorry this is what I do all day.

That conference looks cool. Does the UNFCCC follow an RBM style in their project designs? Are you a M&E guy?

That's kinda funny Kev' date=' the presentation I'm giving at the workshop in Antigua (mentioned above) is a critique of Logframe and RBM approaches to monitoring development projects!

This is the workshop:

http://unfccc.int/cooperation_and_support/capacity_building/items/4080.php[/quote']

Cool! What the CIDA folk and other donors must realize is that a project being carried out by any given NGO can only contribute towards a program Goal/Impact, not acheive that goal. What a project CAN acheive is at the Outcome level (one down from Impact). In terms of M&E, whoever is doing the project design has to have the logic down, and make sure solid measurable indicators in place (s.m.a.r.t.). So then the person doing M&E can actually do his/her job.

Haha sorry this is what I do all day.

That conference looks cool. Does the UNFCCC follow an RBM style in their project designs? Are you a M&E guy?

Yeah, I'm basically doing my PhD on M&E of Capacity building. The UNFCCC uses all sorts of different approaches depending on the area they're working on. For a lot of what they do it's basically a heavily scientific approach (Baseline+indicators) since they're measuring CO2 emissions and such, but for Capacity building they're kinda lost, thus the workshop. We're supposed to get togetehr for 2 days and develop an approach which they and the Global Environment Facility will follow.

Anyhow, would be fun to sit down and talk about some of this stuff over a beer some time!