Jambands.ca

Another reason Mickey Hart rules...

Hux

31P1TVH24KL._AA240_.jpg

Originally created for the birth of Mickey Hart's son Taro in 1983, this 70-minute soundscape was intended to transform the coldness of a hospital delivery room into a warm, rhythmic environment which would aid concentration and breathing and shut out external noise during the process of labor and birthing. Hart recorded Taro's heartbeat in utero, then overdubbed that organic rhythm with subtle bass harmonics, drums, and wooden shakuhachi flute in a simple musical pattern repeated with slight variations throughout the recording. Hart and his wife found it greatly calming during Taro's delivery, and friends began to request it for the deliveries of their own children. Consequently, Hart decided to release the recording on CD as well as cassette for the general public, as an idiosyncratic title in THE WORLD series.

Hang on... there's a *first* reason why Mickey Hart rules?!?!?!

Ironically, I'm probably the one person on the board who actually owns that album. I got it for free back in the old Columbia House days when there was a "buy-one-get-one-free" special and I couldn't find anything I wanted for my free purchase. I suppose it's good to put on if you are trying to study or something (like, I dunno, deliver a baby) but trust me, it's really not worth searching out unless you're a completeist or pregnant.

31P1TVH24KL._AA240_.jpg

Originally created for the birth of Mickey Hart's son Taro in 1983, this 70-minute soundscape was intended to transform the coldness of a hospital delivery room into a warm, rhythmic environment which would aid concentration and breathing and shut out external noise during the process of labor and birthing. Hart recorded Taro's heartbeat in utero, then overdubbed that organic rhythm with subtle bass harmonics, drums, and wooden shakuhachi flute in a simple musical pattern repeated with slight variations throughout the recording. Hart and his wife found it greatly calming during Taro's delivery, and friends began to request it for the deliveries of their own children. Consequently, Hart decided to release the recording on CD as well as cassette for the general public, as an idiosyncratic title in THE WORLD series.

come on, that's just friggin' cool. A rhythm track based on an unborn child's heart beat...unique and cool in my books.

Ironically, I'm probably the one person on the board who actually owns that album. I got it for free back in the old Columbia House days when there was a "buy-one-get-one-free" special and I couldn't find anything I wanted for my free purchase. I suppose it's good to put on if you are trying to study or something (like, I dunno, deliver a baby) but trust me, it's really not worth searching out unless you're a completeist or pregnant.

Wrong and double wrong ... I find it is awesome ambient music (right up there with Apollo by Brian Eno and Music For Airports by, errr, Brian Eno). Puts me out like a light and sweet dreams. Well worth the price of purchase, as fas as I am concerned.

Ironically' date=' [b']I'm probably the one person on the board who actually owns that album. I got it for free back in the old Columbia House days when there was a "buy-one-get-one-free" special and I couldn't find anything I wanted for my free purchase. I suppose it's good to put on if you are trying to study or something (like, I dunno, deliver a baby) but trust me, it's really not worth searching out unless you're a completeist or pregnant.

Wrong and double wrong ... I find it is awesome ambient music (right up there with Apollo by Brian Eno and Music For Airports by, errr, Brian Eno). Puts me out like a light and sweet dreams. Well worth the price of purchase, as fas as I am concerned.

Admittedly, I haven't listened to it in about ten years. I certainly enjoy both of the Eno albums you mentioned, so perhaps it's time for another listen. Except, of course, that it's sitting in a box in a room in Hamilton, and I'm on the other side of the world. Another time, perhaps.

Ironically' date=' [b']I'm probably the one person on the board who actually owns that album. I got it for free back in the old Columbia House days when there was a "buy-one-get-one-free" special and I couldn't find anything I wanted for my free purchase. I suppose it's good to put on if you are trying to study or something (like, I dunno, deliver a baby) but trust me, it's really not worth searching out unless you're a completeist or pregnant.

Admittedly, I haven't listened to it in about ten years. I certainly enjoy both of the Eno albums you mentioned, so perhaps it's time for another listen. Except, of course, that it's sitting in a box in a room in Hamilton, and I'm on the other side of the world. Another time, perhaps.

Actually, I also own this album. And, I even paid good money for it like 20 years ago. I can't say that I ever enjoyed listening to it, other than for its bizarreness, and to watch my cat's reaction which was quite amusing. He would get very low to the ground and work his way under the bed.

Actually, I also own this album. And, I even paid good money for it like 20 years ago. I can't say that I ever enjoyed listening to it, other than for its bizarreness, and to watch my cat's reaction which was quite amusing. He would get very low to the ground and work his way under the bed.

I'll give you $5 for it.

How about this:

In 2000, Mickey Hart became a member of the Board of Directors of the Institute for Music and Neurologic Function, a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to seek to establish new knowledge and develop more effective therapies which awaken, stimulate and heal through the extraordinary power of music - continuing his investigation into the connection between healing and rhythm, and the neural basis of rhythm. In 2003, he was honored with the organization’s Music Has Power Award, recognizing his advocacy and continuous commitment to raising public awareness of the positive effect of music.

In 2000, Mickey Hart became a member of the Board of Directors of the Institute for Music and Neurologic Function, a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to seek to establish new knowledge and develop more effective therapies which awaken, stimulate and heal through the extraordinary power of music - continuing his investigation into the connection between healing and rhythm, and the neural basis of rhythm. In 2003, he was honored with the organization’s Music Has Power Award, recognizing his advocacy and continuous commitment to raising public awareness of the positive effect of music.

He became a member. Woopety doo.

This makes MOBY rule

This lady rules on account of her being the director as a music therapist

heck, I don't even see mickey mentioned in the Wikipedia entry.

How about this:

What organization gives awards to someone on its own board? Lemme guess, the selection committee was made up of board members.

Mickey stole my idea, I recently recorded the sounds of Katie's eggs traveling through her uterus. It is titled "Materniternity" and it comes out on Itunes next week.

I used to have that Mickey album but gave it to a pregnant co-worker 10 years ago and never got it back. Sometimes I wonder how her kid turned out?

Sadly I missed Mickey last weekend at Langerado but the way DSO opened the weekend I almost felt bad for Phil & Mickey and any attempts to follow that awesome performance.