Jambands.ca

Ottawa Jazz Festival

phorbesie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones was a blast last night, far better than I expected.

Anyone who's downtown today, make an effort to be at the World Exchange Plaza for the Brecker Brothers Tribute Band at noon. The band includes Zakari Frantz, of The Souljazz Orchestra and other projects.

If the weather works out, I think I'll be out again tonight for at least a little bit: Florence K soulds like it could be fun, and Salif Keita should be really interesting.

Aloha,

Brad

Anyone interested in heavy experimental jazz looking for something a little more intense than the happy African vibe on offer in the park tonight might do well to check out Tim Berne, Lotte Anker and Chris Speed on the 4th stage of the NAC.

Tim Berne is a killer sax player who quickly leaves the comfort zone behind to explore the outer edges of sonic space. A lot of people might be bored or disturbed by what he does, but a few at least will be blown away.

I'll probably leave Salif Keta after about 20 minutes to go catch this.

Edited by Guest

Anyone interested in heavy experimental jazz looking for something a little more intense than the happy African vibe on offer in the park tonight might do well to check out Tim Berne, Lotte Anker and Chris Speed on the 4th stage of the NAC.

Tim Berne is a killer sax player who quickly leaves the comfort zone behind to explore the outer edges of sonic space. A lot of people might be bored or disturbed by what he does, but a few at least will be blown away.

I'll probably leave Salif Keta after about 20 minutes to go catch this.

http://www.ottawajazzfestival.com/en/events/eventDetails.asp?artistID=826

The trio is just three horns: two saxophones and a clarinet. I beleive the NAC 4th Stage shows are included in the Bronze Pass.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad, now that you are all about the Parade shows and the Avante-Garde Bar scene, you might enjoy the hell out of this.

It's challenging stuff very much jumping off the deep edge and into the realm of "beautiful noise", to steal a line from Blane.

And yes, the Bronze pass gets you in.

The late night jam at the Crown Plaza was killer last night, by the way. Those of you skipping out on the extra 3 hours of killer tunes every night have been missing some great stuff. The cats from Lee Konitz's band were there yesternight.

Edited by Guest

Brad, now that you are all about the Parade shows and the Avante-Garde Bar scene, you might enjoy the hell out of this.

It's challenging stuff very much jumping off the deep edge and into the realm of "beautiful noise", to steal a line from Blane.

I hear you, and I'm considering it. It'll be a game-time decision, and will depend on how I'm feeling (and how tired I am, especially given Return To Forever tomorrow night) and how Salif Keita is going for me.

Aloha,

Brad

How has Jazzfest been as regards lawnchairs?

Pretty bad I would say. I almost saw a fight break out when one lawnchair drone stood up and pushed the guy in front of him pretty hard. I was stunned. Not to mention the other half dozen acts of passive aggression that I witnessed.

I just got back from a heavy metal festival where the maturity level far surpassed what I saw last night. I hope some of those people are feeling pretty shameful today.

No mention of last nights show?

I thought it was awesome. Each one of those guys is just so talented. Great night of jazz/rock/progressive/fusion music. And how tall is Stanley Clarke - the other three guys looked so small standing next to him.

I'm taking my daughter to see Alain Caron and Lorraine Desmarais at the Library and Archives later today.

I agree re the acoustic portion. The rest was fucking great though imho. The encore was defintely a highlight. I didn't experience any crowd problems or witness any incidents. We ended up behind the soundboard for a clear view of the band.

I often take a chair to these shows (did not last night). Always do when I'm with my family. But I don't have problems if people stand and block my view. It's a fucking concert - if people are moved to dance, as I often am (even when I do have a chair with me) they should be allowed to. I just like having the option to sit when I need to.