Jambands.ca

Holy Traffic Batman

Ms.Huxtable

bouche and I were stuck in that awful traffic this morning due to the bridge closure. After sitting in front of a Coffee Time for 20 minutes bouche said "I bet I could run in there and grab us some coffees and you'd still be right here". We debated for a few more minutes and then he ducked out and grabbed coffees. By the end of the cup we were STILL right by the Coffee Time.

We turned around and came home. What took and hour to get to, took a minute and a half to come home from.

PLEASE fix the bridge soon!

Think of it this way, being stuck in traffic just means more time to listen to Howard Stern.

I was only delayed by a couple of minutes going into Hull, which is easier in the morning anyway. But it's going to be a major headache for a lot of people until they fix that bridge.

The commute across the Ottawa River won't be easy for drivers or bus passengers this afternoon.

The Chaudiere Bridge is closed in both directions and could be for some time after an inspection found "deterioration in the masonry arches" according to a release from the federal department of public works. The bridge is one of the key downtown links between Ottawa and Gatineau, and its closure means more traffic will be pushed onto adjacent crossings up and down the Ottawa River.

The city is waiting for formal word from the Department of Public Works, which owns the Chaudiere Bridge, on whether one lane in each direction can be opened to traffic, according to John Buck, manager of the city's traffic management office.

In that case, there would be a weight limit in effect so trucks and buses would have to be rerouted, he added. Public Works is talking to the National Capital Commission to see if trucks can use the Portage Bridge nearby, which belongs to the NCC.

OC Transpo bus routes 8, 88 and 105, which cross the bridge, have already been rerouted. No STO buses use the bridge but traffic tie-ups are causing delays.

Buck said the lanes are unlikely to open in time for the afternoon rush hour, but police will be on hand to direct traffic.

Those who use the bridges across the Ottawa River are being asked to factor extra time into their tavel plans

ya I had the same thing this morning but coming from carleton place.

The 7 was closed because of an accident.

I got in line and moved maybe 20 feet in 20 minutes...

so I turned around and took my super secret backroads way in.

I wish I had taken some backroads. The detour was ridiculous.

always go through richmond on days like today. much faster...

after getting out of that detour... it only took me a half hour to get into town.

Guigsy will like this.

I work in Hull. My "arrives like clockwork" bus home was 30 minutes late. Then it stopped on the Hull side of the Alexandria bridge and told us he couldn't go any farther due to an accident on Wellington Street (in Ottawa). So I hoofed it home from there, my blood pressure rising by the minute.

When I got downtown Rideau street was lined with mostly empty buses that were not moving at all.

What a fucked day in the capital.

I had to walk across the Alexandria bridge again today. Well, chose to versus sit on a bus that wasn't moving.

Traffic was backed up all the way to the bus stop outside my work. 2 km from the closest bridge.

I facking hate the Outaouis region right now!! FIX THE FUCKING BRIDGE ALREADY!!!

both nights, there were no problems going into hull. downtown Ottawa has been gridlocked though. Along with last night's accidents IN OTTAWA, I had heard of more downtown accidents snarling things tonight. People just can't relax and drive carefully when it's icy.

Traffic on the island park going into ottawa was backed up and at a stand-still well beyond parkdale.

smooth sailing into the outaouis region. I think you should really just hate Ottawa. The bridge wasn't affecting traffic at all.

ya I had the same thing this morning but coming from carleton place.

The 7 was closed because of an accident.

I got in line and moved maybe 20 feet in 20 minutes...

so I turned around and took my super secret backroads way in.

I wish I had taken some backroads. The detour was ridiculous.

always go through richmond on days like today. much faster...

after getting out of that detour... it only took me a half hour to get into town.

Not to mention much bakery-er.

smooth sailing into the outaouis region. I think you should really just hate Ottawa. The bridge wasn't affecting traffic at all.

The bridge is totally affecting traffic. Like I just said, it was backed up to a crawl up all the way to St. Joseph and Montclair because so much bridge traffic was being off loaded to the McDonald Cartier bridge.