Jambands.ca

some phish thoughts of my very own...

RUSTLE

i am not really sure if anyone cares about my thoughts (i am generally a lurker here, don't post too often), but hey, its the internet... and, while i sit here at work, thinking about burgettstown / deer creek next week this stuff just popped into my mind;

- i think gamehenge is interesting from a historical perspective, but i really don't get why some people love it so much, and that its not "true" phish unless they are doing gamehenge.

- i found it interesting that people were slagging trey's lyrics in TTE, for comparison have a read through some of the gamehenge tunes, multibeast's?

- i love how page is soooo under the radar. everyone focuses on trey/mike and even fish, someone on PT was saying that he looks uninterested! ha. in my opinion, page is on FIRE, as always and will always be. he adds such an amazing layer to the band. i could tune everyone else out and listen to him.

- 2.0 vs 3.0. its all the rage right now to say that 2.0 sucked - i don't think they did, frankly who cares? sure the number of misses and bad transitions was way higher, but, if i could be witness to another song i heard the ocean sing from SPAC in '04 i'd be a happy man.

all-in-all... i am so excited to see phish again next week. maybe we're just really spoiled? to me a mediocre phish show has always been way better than the best of anyone else i have seen.

thanks for sharing.

i did not see any phish 2.0, but am very happy with 3.0 thus far. people complain that they are not jamming enough, but i'm happier with them taking it slow and getting it right instead of going for too much and screwing up, at least for now :) the new tunes are good and improving.

i love the gamehenge tunes and i have always enjoyed it and thought it very fun. i love hearing those songs and am definitely psyched to hear a forbin's>mockingbird or mcgrupp again...but songs like llama and wilson rock too.

i am SO excited for star lake!

Nice Thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts: Gamehendge is interesting. If they played it at a show that would be cool but my head wouldn't explode. I think it is something people are searching for so they can put it on their tour stats.

Lyrics! Ha I think this is funny. People trashing the new stuff because they think the lyrics stink. People can listen to old Phish lyrics and it doesn't matter how stupid they are people think they are cool. Phish is like art the older it is the better it is. If it is new then it gets no appreciation.

I think all the band member are firing on all cylinders especially Page!

2.0 gets trashed for a reason. There was a lot of bad playing in that era but to be honest I went to some great shows in 03 and 04 and saw some killer versions of songs. I even own the Brooklyn DVD which I think they played very well on.

I also really like the songs from that era. Waves, ASIHTOS, Walls, Pebbles, S&SS and a few others. They were dark and were really fun live. Some of 2.0 sucked and some was great!

Cincinnati 2003 Awesome

I am pumped for 3.0 Phish. I am excepting of change and ready to go.The really sound like mid 90's Phish. If you don't like it then it's time for you to move on but from what I have seen and heard.. buckle your seat belts.

In the end..Phish phans are funny. Most are positive and others like to spread there negativity like trolls. Some phans dig everything the band does, some phans like most but are critical of some things, Then there is the phans who act like its cool to hate on them act like they would rather be somewhere else than a show. These phans are the funniest because you know deep down they love this band (you know who you are).

My opinion is: this band still has more to show us, the band has nothing to prove and are just having fun. Look out.

Judge for yourselves and be your own critic.

this may be more of an observation, but i wanted to watch chalkdust from the IT DVD (which is a killer almost 30 min version) and maaaaaaaan, trey is a train wreck. those little clips in between where they are talking, you can just tell he was def. on "something".

wild.

gamehenge is an odyssey. i remember the first time i listened to the whole thing and was awe struck. amazing. no interest in stats here, would LOVE to hear it all. who doesnt like listening to trey talk eg harpua..????

2.0 vs. 3.0 ummmh did they change their name? just kidding, but 2-28-03 stands up to ANY show from ANY year.

page was the star of hampton. thats all i can comment on as have not heard any phish since.

see ya at the gorge!

gamehenge is an odyssey. i remember the first time i listened to the whole thing and was awe struck. amazing. no interest in stats here, would LOVE to hear it all. who doesnt like listening to trey talk eg harpua..????

Me. And Harpua is another song I could go without, too. Songs with silly lyrics - like Contact - are fine by me. Songs and song cycles with lyrics that make you think of Dungeons and Dragons are embarrassing.

I agree with Hamilton on this.

As far as phish appreciation goes, I'm in the fortunate position of being completely immune to lyrics - I can never really hear them.

I hear melodies and tonalities, but I could never make out any lyrics to any songs (apart from the screamingly obvious) - I guess this is why I'm not into Dylan (and his like) at all.

I think this is a blessing with Phish. Their lyrics are admittedly stupid, and uninteresting. They (try to) do cool things with melody and harmony, though...

As far as phish appreciation goes, I'm in the fortunate position of being completely immune to lyrics - I can never really hear them.

I hear melodies and tonalities, but I could never make out any lyrics to any songs (apart from the screamingly obvious) - I guess this is why I'm not into Dylan (and his like) at all.

I think this is a blessing with Phish. Their lyrics are admittedly stupid, and uninteresting. They (try to) do cool things with melody and harmony, though...

I thought it was just me!!!

Is it true, do some people just naturally not hear lyrics while others do? I have to struggle to hear lyrics in pretty much any live setting, and even when I struggle half the time I can't make them out.

I seriously thought it was just me.

ps I appreciate stupid lyrics. It's actually one of my specialties.

I am in your boat Velvet. 100%.

Is it true, do some people just naturally not hear lyrics while others do?

In my experience, yes. Catphish has taught me to be mindful of lyrics and its been a struggle since I have met her. I have to fight to listen to the words but I have a newfound appreciation for people like Dylan.

As far as phish appreciation goes' date=' I'm in the fortunate position of being completely immune to lyrics - I can never really hear them.

I think this is a blessing with Phish. Their lyrics are admittedly stupid, and uninteresting. They (try to) do cool things with melody and harmony, though...[/quote']

I thought it was just me!!!

Is it true, do some people just naturally not hear lyrics while others do? I have to struggle to hear lyrics in pretty much any live setting, and even when I struggle half the time I can't make them out.

I seriously thought it was just me.

ps I appreciate stupid lyrics. It's actually one of my specialties.