Jambands.ca

Meeting Al Kooper

ersh

Figured I'd share this... Got the chance to meet and hang out with Al Kooper in Boston last week. Turns out he found the Trews on iTunes, and emailed the band about coming to the soundcheck and meeting us.

He was a truly nice guy.... laid back and together, and had all kinds of stories about recording with Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Blood Sweat & Tears and Jimi Hendrix. He told us how he arranged the whole band for Blonde on Blonde, and got to sit in a hotel room with Dylan and play the songs over and over on piano for hours so Dylan could finish writing all the lyrics! Hung out after soundcheck and had dinner and then chatted for a few hours. If you haven't heard his Super Session album, you should.

He's actually grabbing my throat pretty hard in this picture.

7031_293021235429_596390429_9589850_6095035_n.jpg

He told us how he arranged the whole band for Blonde on Blonde, and got to sit in a hotel room with Dylan and play the songs over and over on piano for hours so Dylan could finish writing all the lyrics!

Awesome, I'm goin wanna chat it up next time we cross paths. Those were some great sessions, now I wanna dig up the outtakes.

For anyone who didn't grab this the other times I uploaded & shared it here, here's a great solo (acoustic) Kooper show on my blog - I don't update it much but the link is still good. The Sam Stone cover is worth the download alone.

Al Kooper KSAN FM 95.5 1974-11-09 FLAC

Great story! I'm pretty fond of Al Kooper from the The Blues Project stuff. One of the riffs from their album turned out to be a big hit for The Beastie Boys. I think he's on Electric Ladyland and on parts of hits by Lynyrd Skynyrd - definitely a important keyboard player of the 60-70.

That's amazing that you got to meet him - I hope you told him about BNB too!