Jambands.ca

PHiSH = Nostalgia Act?

skelter

I can't help but feeling after reading through 2010 setlists and listening to a handful of shows that Phish is officially past it's prime.

There were a handful of new originals debuted in early summer, and only the generic Show of Life has made it into rotation ... otherwise, the setlists are becoming a little predictable, the jams are generally void of risks or experimentation, and while the shows are certainly an awful of fun, I don't feel quite the same level of excitement as I have in years past.

Anyone else with me?

PS - I am NOT a PT-style Phish sceptic, I love the band more than any other by a long shot ... just putting some thoughts out there!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have certainly been disappointing in my book. Nostalgia act may be a bit of a stretch, but they are close, that's for sure. And while I agree that they peaked years ago, that doesn't mean that we should come to expect what I consider to be boring shows.

i disagree....the alpharetta shows and charlotte were some of the best phish i have ever seen.

it's only the start of the tour, and phish is never great at the start of a tour. i generally avoid the beginning of the tour...

people complain about new songs. people complain about old songs. same as it ever was.

i don't feel quite the "same" about it all as i used to, but i'm also 10 years older and so are they.

looking forward to jones beach.

:)

i disagree....

it's only the start of the tour, and phish is never great at the start of a tour. i generally avoid the beginning of the tour...

people complain about new songs. people complain about old songs. same as it ever was.

i don't feel quite the "same" about it all as i used to, but i'm also 10 years older and so are they.

:)

Edited by Guest

Compared to phorbesie I'm a rank amateur, but I'll add that in the current era of Phish when I buy a ticket I know I'm in for a show that lands somewhere between good and great. There have been periods in the past where I didn't feel this guarantee walking into a show. Certainly it woulda been hard to walk out of the Hallowe'en shows slagging the band for not being at the top of their game. I don't know much but they rehearsed Exile a hell of a lot more than they rehearsed past Hallowe'en sets.

There are plenty of new songs, lots of nifty covers coming out, and four Tweezer Reprises in two consecutive shows; predictable?

What are they gonna play tonight?

Let me just throw this out there to all and nobody for consideration:

Is it possible, almost a decade on, that you are taking less crazy drugs at Phish shows than previously and are thus finding the experiences less overwhelming?

Maybe just a bit?

I have found it to be quite the opposite; I'm paying alot more attention and the highs/ lows of a performance are only enhanced.... and putting together the setlist in the hotel after the show without notes is relatively easy :content:

I don't think they are a nostalgia act- what does that even mean anymore? If they had released another album since Joy and were playing the shit of it- we'd all be posting for more 'old stuff'. Shit this scene has been the same since 1997- "too many Twists", "another Zero set closer?!", "Round Room sucks" etc. etc.

Let it be.

I think they're still playing extremely tight. Maybe not as experimental or adventurous as they're and our younger years, but solid all the way through. They're musicianship hasn't deteriorated at all. Most of all, they're playing 10X better than they were during they're brief, post-hiatus comeback. Like any band that's been around as long as they have, there are ups and downs. I think they're hit a nice plateau, and at least it's good and high...

YATS, I dunno, in my opinion they are nowhere near tight. I also refuse to throw Phish 2.0 under the bus like most do, because I believe there were some amazing shows/sets/journeys during that era that have yet to be matched in 3.0.

Just one dude's opinion.