Jambands.ca

Chili recipes

fluffhead77

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about trying out Schwa's recipe.

My Saturday is pretty damn busy, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

if you find the liquid levels a bit low throw in a couple more onions on day 1 or even another can of diced tomatoes. :) Drain the beans first too. All of the liquid should come from the ingredients. I also forgot to mention that when I'm browning the ground beef that I completely cover it with a layer of black pepper while it's raw and let it cook into it. Just a guideline, I guess. You gotta work it. Mine is nearly different every time so add your own touches and it'll be fuckin' awesome!

Dudes!!! This weekend is all about the flavour!!

Thanks for the beer hook-up Chad! I'll be sure to pick up a few back up supplies.

I think I'm going to start the chili tonight and let it chill tomorrow night and finish'er off before the game. We'll pick up a few wings to round out the menu.

Go Steelers!

Edited by Guest

I finally got my chili going! I used Schwa's recipe as a framework and then made some modifications.

1 lb of brown'd lean ground beef, fat drained

1 lb of brown'd lean ground pork, fat drained

1 lb of brown'd cubed steak, fat drained

1 can whole tomatoes, coarsely cut

1 lb sliced mushrooms, stems removed

1 can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed

1 can black beans, drained, rinsed

1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed

2 sliced jalapenos, about half of the seeds removed

a good long squirt of sriracha hot sauce

1/4 cup of chili powder

1 tablespoon plus of peanut butter

I put it all in the crockpot (5 L) on low for 6 hours. I'll refrigerate overnight then fire it up 4 hours before kick-off, adding 1 chopped red onion and 1 chopped green pepper. Serving with cheesy nachos.

Looks good!

We had two moose/vension/beef chilis , one of them with serious 5 alarm bite. We couldn't get the recipe from the guy but it appeared to have the usual chili ingredients - beans (kidney, black etc) but it was packed with a variety of different peppers - serrano, cayenne, jalapeno amongst a couple others. It was really fuckin' hot that's for sure and I'm glad our chef buddy made two versions of it as I wouldn't have been able to eat a second bowl of the 5 alarm stuff - I was pacing and sweating it out for at least a half-hour after finishing.

One of the funnier things about it was the lack of trust everyone had for each other after that, I don't think anyone allowed anyone else to get them a bowl, or any food for that matter...even if it meant losing the coveted big easy chair with the beer holder...lol

Sadly, we had so much food and beer that everyone was full before I served it. I sent everyone home with a take out container of it.

I thought it was tasty. I spiked the flavours at the end with a hit of cilantro, sour cream and cheese. I'll be eating it for the rest of the week!