GalacticPoster.jpg

NuFunk & Live Nation Presents...

GALACTIC

w/Corey Glover (of Living Colour) & Corey Henry

+ special guests Heavyweights Brass Band & DJ Farbsie Funk

Wednesday, June 29th

Lee's Palace

Doors: 8:00PM Show: 9:00PM

BUY TICKETS HERE: http://www.ticketweb.ca/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3693825&REFERRAL_ID=tmfeed

or in person at Rotate This, Soundscapes

Tickets (incl. HST) $23.50 (plus service charges)

19+ / General Admission

Facebook Event Link : http://on.fb.me/iEyvSB

20027571.jpg

GALACTIC

www.galacticfunk.com

New Orleans outfit GALACTIC has a well earned reputation as one of the most exhilarating live acts around. Last year the band released the critically acclaimed genre defying sonic tribute to the Big Easy entitled YA-KA-MAY, which The Boston Globe described as "an album that showcases a breathtaking array of New Orleans talent, from old-school R&B legends to influential underground hip-hop artists" and the Huffington Post proclaimed as "NOT your grandparents' New Orleans record!" Now the celebrated outfit offers up a rollicking live counterpart to YA-KA-MAY with The Other Side Of Midnight: Live In New Orleans, released May 3rd via Anti- Records.

The album was recorded during an electrifying sold-out show at legendary New Orleans' nightclub Tipitinas which has hosted countless luminaries such as the Neville Bros, the Meters, Dr. John and Professor Longhair. The venue has, of late, become something of a regular home court for GALACTIC, with the band playing multiple sold out shows at the historic club throughout the year.

Like YA-KA-MAY, The Other Side of Midnight: Live in New Orleans features a host of guest appearances from the bawdy hip-shaking gender bending "bounce" star Big Freedia to local legends Cyril Neville and Trombone Shorty, the whole thing capturing GALACTIC's deep musical relationship with their storied hometown. As Galactic bassist Robert Mercurio explains, “For this night, we invited a lot of guests that inspired and participated in our last couple of albums--this night felt like the culmination of years of touring with these guests†Only in a city like New Orleans could a night this raucous, sweaty and wild also be so incredibly profound.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Same night as Reggie Watts...This has caused much conflict in our household...Myself being a Galactic man and my fiance being of the Watts persuasion...

Don't know how this one's going to play out...

Apparently, the last few shows we've seen together have been my choice and it's her turn...

But I got bored with Reggie after the second youtube clip I saw...

I don't HATE Reggie...But if I have to miss Galactic because of him, that might change...

Dude's not all that great a beatboxer and not all that funny...Nice fro though...

The only way to get specialty bands like Galactic to come to Toronto, is if people continue to come out and support. Attendance to Galactic shows in Toronto have been on the wane, I simply want people who are fans help spread the word of this great band to their friends. This isn't a desperate plea - we're just spreading the funk around - come join in the fun!

--

Farbsie Funk has been added!

farbsiefunk.jpg

Farbsie Funk

Thornhill, Ontario

DJ Farbsie, founder of the Make It Funky Collective got deep into funk at Mo’ Gravy in london in 1996 prior to that his musical influences were formed in the jam band scene traveling to over 400 shows across North America. Having collected thousands of records over the years in 2000 He first stepped up to the decks and the formative years for the Make It Funky Collective began.

In 2005 Make It Funky was born. In the years to follow Farbsie has been spreading the funk gospel and grooving dancefloors across the country. Fusing funky breaks with mowtown sounds, hiphop, calypso, reggae, and classic rock, Farbsie continues to push the boundries of where a dj can take you. Building a journey for the dancefloor that will have you smiling, shouting and singing along as you dance the night away.

Farbsie working with Make It Funky partner Jay Cleary (House of David gang) spent years developing the funk/breaks scene presenting local and top international Breaks, Rare Groove, Turntablism, Classic old school hip-hop and live touring artists to venues across Canada. Farbsie dj skills and addictive flow and track selection has allowed him to share the stage with internationally acclaimed artists like Dj Z-Trip, Afrika Bambaataa, Krafty Kuts, Freddy Fresh, Herbaliser, A.Skillz, Mat the Alien, Fort Knox Five, Dj Czech, Bassnectar, and Deekline and Wizard.

Farbsie’s vision is a concert experience whose mission is to explore the funkier side of all things breakbeat and it’s a mission he brings directly to the dance massive. You’ll get an exceptional night of music, dancing and good fun, with a focus on bringing the cutting edge of funk breaks hip hop and beat driven live music to the masses. Farbsie is just getting started and will shake booty’s on a dancefloor near you. Watch out!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...

I didn't shoot any video any of the Glover stuff...In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a bit of footage of Mr. Glover just because I have a difficult time explaining his look to people...

I was kind of hoping he'd pull out the old multi-coloured braided extensions from the Cult of Personality days...

He could definitely sing though...Amazing range...

I don't know if he was the best fit for the band but good on them for trying something different...Their sound was a lot harder edged with him than with Cyril Neville on the mic...

In contrast, 50 Cent....errr...I mean Corey on trombone meshed a little better the band...

Heavyweights Brass Band was a great surprise...I really enjoyed their set...I look forward to seeing more of those guys down the road...

Overall it was a great show although I gotta admit IMO Corey Colour was pretty cheezy, on the flipside Corey Trombone was sick!

agreed! could've done without the singing, but some of the instrumental stuff was pretty awesome.