Jambands.ca

Sell out suggestions for a lost artist?

Im going home Donny

I have some great images...like..drawings, paintings..well okay just drawings and paintings. They are pretty kick ass. I want to make money off them..there must be a way. Any suggestions/points in directions are so fully, completely welcome. I'm great at art...terrible at figuring out how to market/make money. I'm also curious if anyone knows any industrial designers? Where did they train? Do they find getting work easy? Can I speak with them? Thanks.

Is there a co-op store in your area that you can join? I know of a couple in Hamilton where instead of paying to have your art housed at the store, you put in say a days work at the store. And every artist does so on rotation. Not sure if the co-op still takes a cut if you make a sale or not. I'm sure that varies...

Is there a co-op store in your area that you can join? I know of a couple in Hamilton where instead of paying to have your art housed at the store, you put in say a days work at the store. And every artist does so on rotation. Not sure if the co-op still takes a cut if you make a sale or not. I'm sure that varies...

I currently live in the middle of nowhere. There is a co-op store...pretty sure they still take a cut. Guess I should look into it though. I get that the 'cut' part is fair..I just don't like it. Still though..thanks for reminding me to look into it...appreciate it. :)

I'm great at art...terrible at figuring out how to market/make money.

Sounds like my sister. She has a storage room full of her artwork that is bleeding money in storage fees, not to mention the artworks that have overtaken her apartment. She's a great artist but has zero business acumen.

Any wealthy patrons lurking out there?!

Good luck and let me know if you find any leads.

Yah..the artist with business skills and mad confidance is a lucky soul no doubt! Thanks for the wishes of luck. Definately attempting to fine tune the lasers!

create an etsy gallery and feature some things on facebook posts...make sure to ask your friends to share. get on twitter and start following OTHER artists, post pictures of your art and build up your own set of followers who like to follow artists. They'll see all your artwork, with a link where to get it. Ask them to share with their followers. The basics of social networking is easy, but you gotta keep at it and keep it lively.

Social networking is one aspect of promoting your art, but there is no substitute for pounding the pavement, shaking some hands, and getting your work into galleries and art shows.

Put together a portfolio of your best work and bring it with you to galleries. Find something unique about your art and play it up. In addition to being a great artist, you must become a great self-promoter.

Find out if there are any artist groups or communities in your area, and join. Network with other artists in your area. Many towns, neighborhoods, and cities have annual art shows or "studio tours". Get in on one of those and you've got a good start.

One of my best friends was in your shoes about 10 years ago. I worked with him in the beginning to make his website and to research methods of getting into galleries and art shows. He started selling his own paintings that he did as a hobby for a few extra bucks. His art has branched totally different medium and his work regularly fetches 4 figures (not bad for an artist who is still alive). His development from a shy hobbyist to an artist/salesman was absolutely necessary for his art to be seen.

I wouldn't rule out selling paintings on craigslist or kijiji to get some money in the short term.

you realize you're getting advice from a bunch of people who have never successfully sold art.

yah, yah but this has all been super helpfull. Like I said..I'm kinda lost and to be able to say some stuff, 'outloud' and hear some conversation in return has been helpfull. FbN..hearing about your living friend is inspiring. Also..I get the reasonable price stuff but that's hard..I'd rather give stuff to friends than sell cheap to strangers but I should probably get over this.

Definately going to look into Etsy and if I do I should re-open my FB..I quit because I was annoying myself and surely others but if I had a direction for it rather than just spewing my life out and every random thing that struck me...well that would make sense for me. Bouche...great advice btw..lol..like the coconut milk..so obvious but needed it pointed out. Thanks. Thanks all of yas..super duper appreciated. So far as I can tell, we only live once and it's fast. I'm good at one thing...hoping to not waste it. Again...thanks for helping getting my wheels spinning.