Jambands.ca

Bob Loblaw + Death Cake @ Irene's (Ott.) Sept. 15

bradm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a really fantastic time on Saturday. It's always great seeing all my favorite people jammed into one place at one time. The music almost seemed secondary upon arrival. That was until the music started. The Death Cake or as JP referred to them as, Necrotic Confectionery, were snappin' necks and cashin' cheques. Large and loud and in my face - just the way I like it. It was almost without effort that these two masterfully shot tasty licks and crispy beats all over the crowd like they were a 3 dollar whore. There were a handful of really comforting sounds that once might come to expect from this duo, given their musicial linage, but a whole bag of new nasty, little tricks that were unleashed on us. I'd run not walk to their next outing if I were you. Jean Michel du Chocolat and Bobby Vanilla are going to fill that venue with so much hot strange, you're going to have a hard time clamoring to get in.

As for my first taste of Bob Loblaw, well, let's just say these guys aren't for the casual listener. Their extremely intricate, uptempo rhythms were stuffed to the gills with great melody, ripping guitar lines and witticisms that took me until two songs later to ingest. There was nary a genre not baked into the delicious ear-fucking sandwich that Mr. Loblaw served hot and fresh. The association to god of genre bending, Frank Zappa, was easily made, but their sound not derivative. They craft a sound so tight and oddly curious that they commanded my full attention, which is hard to do these days given my advancing years. I will certainly be sidling up for another serving from the Laaaahblah, whenever they'll have me.

I had a really fantastic time on Saturday. It's always great seeing all my favorite people jammed into one place at one time. The music almost seemed secondary upon arrival. That was until the music started. The Death Cake or as JP referred to them as, Necrotic Confectionery, were snappin' necks and cashin' cheques. Large and loud and in my face - just the way I like it. It was almost without effort that these two masterfully shot tasty licks and crispy beats all over the crowd like they were a 3 dollar whore. There were a handful of really comforting sounds that once might come to expect from this duo, given their musicial linage, but a whole bag of new nasty, little tricks that were unleashed on us. I'd run not walk to their next outing if I were you. Jean Michel du Chocolat and Bobby Vanilla are going to fill that venue with so much hot strange, you're going to have a hard time clamoring to get in.

As for my first taste of Bob Loblaw, well, let's just say these guys aren't for the casual listener. Their extremely intricate, uptempo rhythms were stuffed to the gills with great melody, ripping guitar lines and witticisms that took me until two songs later to ingest. There was nary a genre not baked into the delicious ear-fucking sandwich that Mr. Loblaw served hot and fresh. The association to god of genre bending, Frank Zappa, was easily made, but their sound not derivative. They craft a sound so tight and oddly curious that they commanded my full attention, which is hard to do these days given my advancing years. I will certainly be sidling up for another serving from the Laaaahblah, whenever they'll have me.

What a nice re-counting, we love you too SpecialB! I nominate Fluff as a new Toronto jamband.ca contributor!

Let's get some more Fluffing going on round here!

Thanks to everyone for coming out, and I agree- Bob Loblaw is always such a treat to see (and hear!) in action. It's almost like being simultaneously aurally pollinated by four musically pent up bumblebees, but truly, much more so like being fucked, in the ear..

.. and Death Cake had a blast playing our second show.. Still working out the bugs and writing tunes, so I'm sure we'll have more in the months to come!