Jambands.ca

who's listening to what?

Vermontdave

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trevor, that trey show could very well be the greatest experience of my life.

maybe only surpassed by B.C. 99'

Anyways, i'm still listening too,

Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album. Watched the movie the other day, then been on the kick.

lovin' it right now....maybe i'll dust off some of the my old cd's....the old studio stuff i haven't looked at in a year or four.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Tala -> Hiway Freeker (seamless), 2003.03.07, Club One, Montreal.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

bradm, how was the show??

It was the bomb. I got it all on tape, including the coin toss they did to see who went on first (Tala). From what I heard, I think it was Hiway Freeker's idea to make it seamless (wonder where they got that idea, huh, Doc?), which was a surprise to the soundman, who didn't realize ahead of time that he had to do two bands at once. (At one point during HF's soundcheck, Paul Malin [guitar player] asked for a vocal mic for the keyboard player. "Nope. I'm maxed out." came the response from the sound man.)

One thing to remember is that this was the first show for at least one (if not two) new Tala members. Add to that going seamless with Hiway Freeker, and they were facing a dauntless task. They found some daunt, though, and stepped up to the bar in an amazing way.

The blender jams were a bit different from what we've been seeing here. I can think of a couple of ways to do a blender transition:

1. the first band starts a cover tune, which the second band continues
  2. the first band starts a nameless jam, which the second band continues
  3. the first band starts one of their own tunes, which becomes a jam, which the second band transforms into one their own tunes

(The Dr. H -> HF "Maggie's Farm" from 2002.12.19 is an example of a type #1 blender.)

Obviously, type #3 blenders are the toughest. This show had one or two #2s, and at least one #3.

Hiway Freeker put on one of the best shows I've seen them do. They did a "Find The Hole (Part II)" that went seriously other places, and came back around beautifully, and some seriuously slinky/pimp funk that made me wish I owned a gold 1978 Buick Riviera...

Tala floored me. I've seen one of their shows before (2002.09.12), and thought they were pretty good. Nope: they're great. Their sound is in a similar trance/groove vein to GTB at times, with key/chord and time changes that are either fun or nightmarish to follow. They've got a good balance between guitars (one doing mostly lead, the other mostly rhythm, but both essential to the sound), and display musicianship and songwriting that's a joy to behold.

The room (Club One, 1186 rue Crescent) was a little downstairs place, midway in size between Cafe Dekcuf and the Bayou. (It's almost right across the street from Brutopia.) It had a good feel, but the drinks were on the pricy side ($7 for a pint of Keith's? they had some local beers which were $5/pint, though). The dance floor is big enough (unlike Dekcuf), and right in front of the stage (unlike the [old] Bayou), but the owner ended up shutting off the mics at 3am (after giving HF a 5-minute warning; I don't think the owner was too happy the show went on so long, nor was HF too happy to get shut off; the tape may need some "bleeping", if you get my drift...).

All in all, it was a great show. I've heard a rumour that Tala may be coming to Ottawa, and may do the show seamless...Here's hoping it happens.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

sounds awesome bradm, although your numbering system kinda confused me, what's # 3 again??

Sorry; posts with lists often get scrambled/truncated when edited. I re-edited it back to what it should have been.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

bradm, how was the show??

One other thing I forgot: I came away from the show with two free packs of rolling papers! Mid-way through the show, a couple of guys from Pure Hemp showed up with a display case of packs of papers, and were giving them out. I grabbed a pack of Pure Hemp, and a pack of Firefly papers.

Aloha,

Brad

The Jerry Garcia Band - 3.18.78

This is the solo band of the obscure "Jerry Garcia". He's the fellow who used to play the slowish songs inbetween the Bobby Weir tunes in the Grateful Dead...apparantly he even sang back-ups on Truckin' !!

"Garcia" is seen here on Bobby's left...(unidentified bass player on his right)

-

quote:

This is the solo band of the obscure "Jerry Garcia". He's the fellow who used to play the slowish songs inbetween the Bobby Weir tunes in the Grateful Dead...apparantly he even sang back-ups on Truckin' !!

I thought he was an ace studio musician brought in (and out on tour) to fill in, cover up, and adapt to all the mistakes that riddled the Grateful Dead's rhythm guitar parts...

Aloha,

BRAD (Bobby Razzing; Anticipating Derision)

Oh, bring it on, Huxie-boy: it's Open Slam at Cafe Dekcuf tonite! You break out a pastel polo shirt and be on your best Bobhaviour, and I'll dig out a black t-shirt and shades in an attempt to Jerrify all those who dare to witness the throwdown.

And I hope you are a doctor, because at least one of us (not to mention audience members...) is going to need medical attention...

Aloha,

Brad

Pat Metheny 6/23/90

Mellon Hall, Philadelphia PA

Philadelphia Jazz Festival

source: Sbd ?

xfer: Tascam DA-20 > s/pdif [sb live] > HD [forge 4.0 / cdwav] > shn

Guitarist Pat Metheny with some of the greats. Herbie Hancock on keys, Dave Holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. Excellent recording, and an excellent show.

quote:

my schedule just opened up for tonight...

perhaps a little "Throwin' Stones" at Dekcuf to mirror our little on-line...........tiff.
[Wink]

Transcription printed, SHNs downloaded and listened to, I'm hopeful I'll be ready; perhaps a "tiff" drink or two might help...

Now if Phil would just show up and play bass with us...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Pat Metheny 6/23/90

Mellon Hall, Philadelphia PA

Philadelphia Jazz Festival

source: Sbd ?

xfer: Tascam DA-20 > s/pdif [sb live] > HD [forge 4.0 / cdwav] > shn

Guitarist Pat Metheny with some of the greats. Herbie Hancock on keys, Dave Holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. Excellent recording, and an excellent show.

Hey Steve -

I have this as a commercially available CD. It's called "Parallel Realities Live", as it is essentially a live show from the tour accompanying Jack Dejohnette's "Parallel Realities" album (which featured Hancock and Metheny). The sound kicks ass.

Apparently, this recording falls into one of those "grey areas" of legality, slipping through legal loopholes in certain nations - a bootleg in some places, in others not. Apparently, it's not available in Canada. I picked it up here in Korea, where it has been 24-bit remastered and reissued. I have also found a Pat Metheny Group live recording of equally good quality from 1990 (*not* "The Road To You", but with the same band) released by the same record company - Jazz Door, which I think is German.

Brian.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

my schedule just opened up for tonight...

perhaps a little "Throwin' Stones" at Dekcuf to mirror our little on-line...........tiff.
[Wink]

Transcription printed, SHNs downloaded and listened to, I'm hopeful I'll be ready; perhaps a "tiff" drink or two might help...

Now if Phil would just show up and play bass with us...

Aloha,

Brad

Well, Phil showed up and played bass. (No, not that Phil, the Ottawa Phil that's been coming to Open Jam at Dekcuf and consistently blowing us away.) It became apparent, however, that we had no reasonable chance at getting "Throwing Stones" together.

Even worse, rather than me out-Jerrying Dr. H's Bobbying, it seemed like I out-Bobbied his Jerrying...I'm not sure how that happened, but I ended up doing more chordal stuff, and Dr. H ended up doing more leads...I don't think his (nice pastel) polo shirt would have fit me, nor would my black t-shirt (let alone my prescription sunglasses) have fit him. But we had fun, and we got it all out of our system...

...for now... [Wink]

Aloha,

Brad

Archived