Jambands.ca

Futureman arrested for Fraud

phunkyb

that must be the ticket. I hope he doesn't get his drumitar taken away from him when he starts his sentence... That would be a good weapon to fight off all the horny criminals..

I never really could hear the drumitar.. on any live or studio stuff I'v eheard. I guess thats why he wears that retarded costume. Takes some of the heat off..

Wow, Roy Wooten only made $300,000 in four years?!? And only $200,000 was (supposed to be) take-home. I'm ready to give up! Me 'n Pablo met this great old blues guitar player in Mississippi who knows the Wootens well, and he says Futureman is the finest guitar player he's heard. Not to mention the greatest drumitar player alive or dead. $50,000 a year (even in US$) ain't enough money for an entertainer of that stauture. I mean, what does the lamest pro athlete bench warmer make in a year?

Whatever, they should shake his hand, send him home and give him a raise.

And, Mr. G. Monkey, if you've ever heard any drums or percussion at all on any Bela Fleck tune, that's the drumitar. They don't have a standard drummer.

If nothing else, hopefully this will get the Flecktones out and touring a lot. An Ottawa show would be nice.

No biggie, he will get hit with a fine, some festival-Type show will be held to help him get the money together, then, Willie Nelson and FutureMan will smoke a big fat bomber before they both take the stage for a rendition of the Beatles Tax-Man........

at least he didnt forget to pay the rent wink.gif" border="0

Alright, here is the confimation. It just so happens I work at a newspaper and this is what was found:

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/11/10702395.shtml

Roy Wooten of Flecktones charged with evading taxes

A musician in the band of banjo player Bela Fleck is charged with evading income taxes for four years, a prosecutor announced yesterday.

Nashville resident Roy Wilfred Wooten, who uses the names Futureman and RoyEl in his music career, was arrested Friday and charged with four counts of income tax evasion, said U.S. Attorney Richard F. Clippard in a statement.

Wooten could get up to 20 years in jail and $1 million in fines if convicted on all counts.

Wooten is accused of falsely filing in 1995 that he was exempt from income tax. The grand jury indictment claims he conducted his affairs in cash to avoid detection and concealed a taxable income over the four years of about $300,000, on which he owed more than $100,000 in taxes.

An arraignment for Wooten is set for Nov. 28 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Juliet Griffin.

Wooten plays the drumitar, a guitar-shaped instrument he invented that allows him to replicate the sound of a drum kit with a few fingers. His latest invention is The RoyEl, a piano-shape instrument that uses samples of sounds from nature.

Wooten has been a member of the jazz-fusion group Bela Fleck and the Flecktones since 1990. His brother, bassist Victor Wooten, is also a Flecktone. A spokeswoman for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones declined to comment.

— Associated Press

futureman has ideas but playing with elvin jones would serioulsy improve the flecktones. I hope futureman goes to jail and the flecktones get a real drummer. futureman may have ideas but i don't dig his sound. i think he's one of the main reasons the flecktones play such boring music.

don't get me wring - the emotion is there and so is the talent but i can't feel anyhting infectious about it. metalwood as them beat for keeping interest.

i wouldn't pay futureman more han 50 grand a year. i'd pay the bucks to carter beauford maybe.

maybe if the drumitar was touch sensitive...