Jambands.ca

Wha' the fuck? - HELP!

hamilton

Hey all - a little (big?) question that I need your help with...

Since Saturday, my Hotmail account has been all fucked up. If I try to send more than **two** messages per day, I get this window that pops up and says "you have exceeded the number of sent messages in a 24-hour period", and advises me to save the message to be sent later.

Since when has there been a "limit" to the number of e-mails you can send in a day through Hotmail?!?

I'd write to the Help Desk and ask, but of course that requires sending another email, which the programme will naturally not let me do - at least, not for another 24 hours!

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? If so, what did you do to fix it? I'm really confused... not to mention pissed-off! [Mad]

Any suggestions appreciated!

Brian.

That sounds a little strange to me. I can't imagine that microsoft is limiting email. I could see if there was a limit to the size of emails being sent, or even a combined size, but they would never limit the number of emails.

That would be suicidal on their part as a free, and not-so-free service.

Yahoo works fine though. Their spam-filters appear to be better than hotmail's, and they do have a larger mailbox size.

I just sent 5 emails without any messages like you received. If that is true though, Hotmail would be absolutely useless to me.

They would be basically offering a spam service. A mail service where you get to send 2 emails and receive shit-loads of unwanted mail is absolutely back-asswards.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

That sounds a little strange to me. I can't imagine that microsoft is limiting email. I could see if there was a limit to the size of emails being sent, or even a combined size, but they would never limit the number of emails.

That would be suicidal on their part as a free, and not-so-free service.

It definitely has nothing to do with size - I can't even send an email with one sentence. It's very confusing. I thought it would just go away, but it's been three days now. [Confused]

I've never had a problem like this before, and no one else that I know currently has this problem either. As I said before, I can't even write to the Help Desk - it won't let me!!

Perhaps Yahoo will be the way to go. I'll give it one more day...

Brian.

Some spammer probably got a hold of your address and has been using your account to send spam. It happened to me a while ago - I noticed all these postmaster messages in the junk-mail folder saying all these emails couldn't be sent yadda yadda... Of course, I didn't send any of the messages - some fucker had somehow commandeered my account and was spamming the world - so when others received the message - it would say that it originated from me and had my name on it. I emailed hotmail and they took care of it.... eventually.

If this is the case, then maybe hotmail has some cap on emails to prevent spammers getting too out of control - and this fucker has reached the limit. Just a guess...

quote:

Originally posted by weezy:

Some spammer probably got a hold of your address and has been using your account to send spam. It happened to me a while ago - I noticed all these postmaster messages in the junk-mail folder saying all these emails couldn't be sent yadda yadda... Of course, I didn't send any of the messages - some fucker had somehow commandeered my account and was spamming the world - so when others received the message - it would say that it originated from me and had my name on it. I emailed hotmail and they took care of it.... eventually.

If this is the case, then maybe hotmail has some cap on emails to prevent spammers getting too out of control - and this fucker has reached the limit. Just a guess...

I found in the Help section that there is indeed a limit to the number of messages you can send in one day - but it's *500*, and there's no way that I've sent 5, let alone 500, in one day...

I've signed up with Yahoo now as well, so I'll send them a message from *that* account to get Hotmail cleared up...

Thanks for the tips! [smile]

Brian.

I've never heard of a restriction on the number of messages you can send either...but (it wouldn't surprise me) if hotmail does have such a restriction then the only logical thing I could think of is to check your sent messages folder and change your password. Hotmail will only copy msgs to your sent msgs folder if you specifically tell it to do so when you send a msg, so you might not have anything in there. Is it possible that someone else is using your hotmail acct? Or maybe some hacker has got a hold of your login info. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a restriction...and it would be a good thing because it would render the service useless for spammers. So change your password and see what happens.

Definately change your password.

That kind of happened to me with yahoo mail. I kept getting returned mails that were definately spam, and had failed to reach their destination.

I changed my password right away....although my password wasn't something that could have been guessed.

I'm not sure how they would get a hold of your account, although I think you can spoof email accounts without actually having access to them.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

Definately change your password.

I'm not sure how they would get a hold of your account, although I think you can spoof email accounts without actually having access to them.

Well, I've changed my password, but that didn't help - nor have I had a reply from the Hotmail people. I did manage to get a few emails out this morning, but after about three I was at my "limit".

I think that you might actually be able to log into the same account from two different locations simultaneously, in which case this person would have no issue with me changing my password as long as he/she doesn't sign out.

I've got a new account now, instead...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Brian.

Archived