Jambands.ca

Favorite cover song

M

Just read an interesting quote regarding cover songs:

Amateurs borrow; geniuses make you think they wrote it in the first place.

Up there for me would have to be Al Green's incredible version of "Light my Fire"....

I'm planning a radio show dedicated solely to phenomal cover versions of songs. Curious to hear what everyone's favorites are.....

• David Lindley & El Rayo-X: Werewolves Of London (from the "Very Greasy" album)
  • Was (Not Was): Papa Was A Rollng Stone (from the "Are You Okay?" album)*
  • Jeff Beck: 'Cause We've Ended Up As Lovers (from the "Blow By Blow" album)
  • Jeff Beck: Goodby Porkpie Hat (from the "Wired" album)
  • Frank Zappa: Whipping Post (from the "Them Or Us" album, or the live one on "Does Humor Belong In Music?")

Aloha,

Brad

* Lindley's version (same album as Werewolves) also works. Hell, any cover by Lindley is in the running.

cities (phish) even though i like the talking heads way better, phish DO make this their own in a slow way....man it would kick if they played it fast with that disco-phunk bass.

circus-phish

roses are free-phish (that might bother some weener's here---sorry, just throwing them out there)

2001-phish

ooh child-trey

sneakin' sally through the alley -phish-i don't think i've ever ehard the robert palmer version???

time to look for that

yamar-phish

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Puff Daddy's
classic
cover of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

-

I'm going to have to hurt you, Pinky. For a good cover of Kashmir, check out the "Bring 'em Back Alive" album by the Dixie Dregs.

quote:

TOOL-> No Quarter (Led Zeppelin)

This I'd like to hear. What album is it on?

Aloha,

Brad

Sneakin' Sally is from the Robert Palmer album where he hired Lowell George (Feat, Mothers) and Allen Toussaint (New Orleans legend) to make him sound funkier. Sneakin' Sally is part of a 3-song cycle that is excellent (although I can't remember the other songs right now). I think one is called Julia though.... I'll dig out the CD later... Oh wait: I'm leaving for Evolve later!!!

ad

I looked up the Robert Palmer stuff:

The album is called 'Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley', and it starts off with Sailing Shoes-->Hey Julia-->Sneakin' Sally.

Interestingly enough, Lee Dorsey also covered Sneakin Sally. Another one to download... AFTER EVOLVE!!!

ad

Here's a few:

Gov't Mule covering the Beatles 'She said, she said'.

Ben Harper covering Peter Tosh's 'You can't blame the youth'.

Bruce Hornsby covering the Dead's 'Scarlet Begonias' with Phil on bass.

Red Hot Chili Peppers covering Hendrix's 'Castles made of sand'.

Galactic covering Pink Floyd's 'Another brick in the wall'.

Widespread Panic covering the Talking Heads 'Papa Legba'.

Jerry Garcia, Merle Saunders, John Kahn - the encores album (I think) - Positively 4th Street.

It always gives me the chills. Even though the song is meant to be angry, Jerry sings it with a tear in his eye. Amazing guitar solo from the man as well..

Guest Low Roller

Puff Daddy's classic cover of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

-

But seriously:

Radiohead-> Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young)

TOOL-> No Quarter (Led Zeppelin)

Tea Party-> Rakim (Dead Can Dance)

Phish-> Been Caught Stealin' (Jane's Addiction)

Nero-> First Tube (Phish)