Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus: Discussion

Summerhill

~Fellow Sanctuary Kidz~

Just want to hear a little more from everyone on what makes Grand Theft Bus one of the most talked about Canadian Jam Bands on this board.

Having followed the music careers of these kidz from Wooderson to the present - I find it very interesting to see what other people enjoy about this band.

What is it that draws kids from Cape Breton through Toronto to get on the bus ?

I read all sorts of rave reviews of their shows

on this board and I ask all those who have written to take some time and write more about what makes the GTB experience special for you ? Looking forward to your responses.

Peace - Summerhill

I have to agree with the Monkey, they have good songs that I find myself humming after listening to their shows; INCREDIBLE harmonies not overbearing or overdone; they take their time building a groove, and I mean sometimes they take so long that I find myself lost in the sway; They are such nice guys (and cute enough to get my non-jam-fan-girlfriends out to shows.... THEY ARE CANADIAN!!!

Hey buddy,

Hope things are well out there. We have meaning to call, but Spiegel is my bitch.

As for the Bus, the thing I have noticed is that while they do play very good songs, have very nice vocal harmonies and jam progressively- I think the thing that gets most people is the ability of the band to be totally non abrasive. There isn't one song in the repetoire that would chase you away. They seem to take that SCI vibe of just playing digestable music. Not that I don't like it, but there haven't been many moments at my Bus experiences where I said "Holy crap, enough already!" and waited for the next change in a jam(which has happened at most of the shows I have attended). They almost seem to be the boy band of the jamband scene, by just writing pretty melodies and not jamming "hard".

I would say the big draw is that the music is palatable by anyone.

Sean

There are a number of different reasons for everyone. I've found that they are as tight, talented, and 'professional' sounding as any killer band I've paid mucho bucks to see.

I remember seeing them for the first time and noticing all of their time changes going on. I've always been a sucker for things like that. I'll find myself trying to pick out the different time changes, and I'm sure some other people do that too. (GM eh?) But, that was only the eye-opener to their talent.

They also sound great, as GM said, the tunes get stuck in your head, and that can be bad, but when it happens from a grass-roots group and you aren't pissed off that it's in your head, it's something special.

One thing I like (among many; GTB is one of my favourite bands) is their appropriate use of vocals. It's as if they take the total amount of vocals a regular band would use, and distill out of it the essential parts, leaving pure gold; what's there is there because it's needed, not because the band thinks all songs have to have vocals.

It's also interesting to note how repetitive a lot of their lyrics are, and how little it annoys me. Some songwriters will repeat a verse (often re-using the first verse at the end of the song), and it bugs the Hell out of me. GTB can perform the same verse twice, and leaves me enthralled.

Aloha,

Brad

A really nice mix of songs with thought-provoking lyrics that are sung sweetly, jams and grooves that make me want to dance, and more interesting jams that involve improvisation and cool timing changes and unique beats.

I've seen this band 3 times and I've been really impressed every time.

Their new studio cd is also getting lots of action in my cd player.

Peace, Mark

Agree with Monkey and pretty much everyone else. It's not hard to see that a big part of the draw for this band is a large repertoire of catchy well crafted/sung/jammed songs. I think maybe because their sound is so well formed there repertoire sort of blurs together into alot of catches and hooks you find yourself humming later. I saw this band from it's infancy (at least one show with Andrew Butler on guitar) and it was really interesting to see the repertoire take foot. I've got alot of the old setlists in prob'ly Tim's handwriting. Songs like Methuo, Ol Giuseppe (whose origins change nightly), 1st Foot Forward, Methuo, Lake Width, Slinky, Ignition, Bolty, Gym's Class and the obvious standouts from right off Streetsleeper and Weight of Circumstance. Of course they keep adding tunes and about where I left off I was really liking Never Can Tell as their big third tune. At Evolve they played alot of the songs I know but definitely alot of next gen songs that the current East coast kids seemed to know.

It was odd seeing them make leaps and bounds in terms of their improvising as well. Although they do have sort of a staid cyclic style of jamming that admittedly suits them. Early on they'd have great guests like some friend of theirs who sort of did a talk song with them at the planet one night, or Caleb from Sense Amelia on trumpet, or this other woodwind player whose name I forget. Just that extra element would really push them over the top. Or they'd just build and build energy wise like a turbine generator. Or they'd do weird warbled time phased intros to recognizable tunes.

Wooderson was a whole different trip and really an amazing thing. Their you had Tim and Graham but then the stunning writing, piano, singing skill of John plus Kirsten's beautiful voice. Then of course K sort of insisted on always having her instrument with her and her playing was kind of holding up the improvisational growth of the band. That was rough but they all get along well now. The late 'son was really great improvisationally (Moma Dance!!!) but something was missing. The best moment hands down for that band was their opening at UNB Fredericton for the Jerry Garcialess Band. I'm happy to say I had something to do with getting them on the bill (although Darryl the booker at UNB at the time deserves alot of the credit) by taking the sketchy chick promoter to go see them at the former blues corner. It was a wicked show and great to see them in a big room on a big stage above your heads. For some reason I can't remember the name of their pretty songs but their Eyes was always great. Isn't that cheesy that I only remember the covers.

http://www.northernheads.com/images/Pictures/grand_theft_bus_planet.htm

If anyone in those "exclusively" EAST-coast bands (GTB, JSB etc...) is reading this - COME TOUR OUT WEST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

WTF?, do they want to play the saaaame old bars aaaaall the time? Do they not-like goooood pot? Are they afraid of biiiig mountains and kiiiiiiller powder skiiiiing/snoooowboarding??? Or are they just plain CHICKEN?? bok bok bok bok bok bok

If nero, Tala, Blue Quarter, Wassabi Collective, Slow Nerve Action, Free Flow, Threat From O.S., Moses Mayes etc.. can do it, so can the rest of em'.

How long has GTB been around? Have they ever played east of Ontario?

I guess they're comfortable being a LOCAL band. That's unfortunate for us west-coasters... [Frown]

To avoid repetition, I just want to lay my2sense down on the song crafting. All too often we concentrate on the jam and very little on the tunes. Jams is what keeps things fresh in our scene, but the familarity of geniunely good tunes is what puts the bands in our hearts. Dead, Phish, mmw, moe., BNB all did it for me. Nero, GTB are getting there (time, it would seem is the final piece of the puzzle). I can feel it. Funny but I don't neccessarily feel this for all jambands. But once the bands find their way in, nuthin you can do get it out.

As to GTB not touring West of Ontario, I think part of it may have been their lack of merchandise to sell. The further you go from home, generally, the smaller the crowd you draw, and you have to rely on sources of income other than the (generally decreasing) door; remember, Nero didn't head out until they had an album and shirts to sell.

Now that GTB has an album*, maybe they'd be willing to come out. It might also be worthwhile for some Western venue owners and/or promoters to get in contact with GTB management.

Aloha,

Brad

* Do they have shirts available yet?

Even at the May long weekend Come Together Music Fest (you know the one where it snowed? The one where no ice was needed to keep our food from going bad? The one that we could see our breath while huddled around the campfire burning the tips of our shoes? The one where the Tuba's spit valves froze?)...Even then, on the outdoor stage, he did not wear a shirt!

Along the same lines as Weezy, it is my strong belief that Grand Theft Bus and Jimmy Swift Band should quickly end their Peterborough hiatus'! Everyone wants 'em both back.

I've just recently heard GTB's studio album and its been playing in my room quite a bit. Can't wait to see them again. I've only seen them once so far, at the May Come Together Festival in the cold. I remember the topless drummer, the cold, the quick time changes and some catchy songs.