Jambands.ca

Dark Star Orchestra tour close to Canada

bONES

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Bobby joined dso at a benefit, commenting on "how this is the way the dead meant to sound"....
[Razz]

Seeing as how the DSO agenda is to recreate Dead shows right down to the equipment used, it's kinda hard to figure out what Bobby could possibly have meant by that, but whaddya expect from a dyslexic freak who had to quit doing acid by 1966 just as the rest of the world got turned on? [Wink]

quote:

whaddya expect from a dyslexic freak who had to quit doing acid by 1966 just as the rest of the world got turned on?
[Wink]
[/QB]

Hahahaha !

I do agree though that listening to a recorded DSO seems pointless if you can get the actual Dead show, but IMO, DSO is all about being there and seeing the Bobby who is more Bobby than Bobby (or Dr. Hux [Razz] ) will ever be.

ahhhh, i thought that might get your attention.....

greg has been restoring old fat cat gems and this was one of his finest. he gave it to me last night. it has some flaws, but the quality is quite good, and the playing is fabulous.

It has some pops for the first 1:30 of each disc, which makes me wonder if greg burnt the shows to quick, or if its on the original.

Maybe santa will bring marc an early fatty christmas present.

apparently every Fatties gig from 1997 is currently being transferred from original analog to digital (!).

Johnny used to just throw a mike up at every show and let it go. I always thought listening to those shows may be a devastating experience, for fear of hearing myself indulging in some stooooopid drunken conversation some night, somewhere that I wouldn't even remember the next day, let alone five years later!

Once those shows are transferred, I'm thinking of starting a Fat Cats cover band, featuring faithful recreation of every 1997 show.... ha!

[Wink]

or how about this: start a Dark Star Orchestra cover band.....

I have had this conversation with Velvet before, and I do agree, that taping DSO shows is a little strange..........

Aside from that, I love downloading and freaking out at the authenticity. Going to see those guys is reliving magic, and re-recreating it while re-creatively creating it. That is what gets my bucks and will again.

Shut the door, close your eyes and let them take you places, cause they can and not alot of bands can.

MarcO,

I'm on your side man. I saw DSO and although I certainly was impressed with their stage up, professionalism and ability to re-create, in its entirety Dead shows, I need originality to get me going. I never saw the Dead, but my enjoyment of TOO 11.30.02 far surpassed any feeling I'd ever get at a DSO show.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe the are hardcore musicians that know their shit when it comes to re-creating the Dead, but I'd rather get the original show for free (or cheap) and save my twenty bucks to see nero, Grand Theft Bus, Raq, Uncle Sammy and Psychedelic Breakfast for the ame $20.

That's my two cents.

BTW, Steve, How's that Fatties show?

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began"

It was Canadian kids behind the wheel, on a bus to the Dark Star Jam....

I had a FUN time last night...thanks for making it to the show Todd, Jay, Dave, Chris. Thanks too for chillin' by the table at times. That was a big ole session we had in the truck, and the gourmet chocolate was FINE:) [smile][smile]

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the music and had a good time.

It's good to see people posting their like/dislike for DSO on this message board...the Grateful Dead did not appeal to everyone either, so for those of you (Shainhouse & MarcO) that are not into what Dark Star Orchestra do...that's cool! There are lots of great touring bands out on the road that do original material.

For me it was never an issue when the Dead covered The Band, or Dylan, or Merle Haggard, etc., etc. I love those songs and the way the Dead played them live was magical for me. So to hear them live again, (along with Dead original material) the way the songs were meant to be played, and done so well is awesome! This band puts a lot of professionalism and hard work into their performances.

So for those of you (SecondTube, Davey Boy, VermontDave, bouche and bradm) that would like to "...ride that train again", I hope we meet at a Dark Star show one day soon...(like Winooski)!! Bones

Oh, and brad...talk to earthfreak (aka: Caroline) about coming to Vermont, I really want her to make this show. The band hasn't seen her since April and they're beginning to wonder if she's really their pal...not really, but she's way overdue for a "Strange Man" [smile]

I'm so glad (and jealous) to hear that the boys made it to Northampton.

My only issue for this weekend is primarily time as it does take about 4.5 hours to get to Burlington, and money.

If we make it to DSO, I'll walk around chanting "bones....bones...bones" and I just may be wearing a nero shirt.

I hope you nero boys get a hold of VermontDave. He seems pretty pumped about this coming weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I'm so glad (and jealous) to hear that the boys made it to Northampton.

My only issue for this weekend is primarily time as it does take about 4.5 hours to get to Burlington, and money.

If we make it to DSO, I'll walk around chanting "bones....bones...bones" and I just may be wearing a nero shirt.

I hope you nero boys get a hold of VermontDave. He seems pretty pumped about this coming weekend.

If the timing can be arranged, I might be up to share costs to VT, bouche, assuming we stay through Saturday night to see Nero.

Aloha,

Brad

should I walk the lot chanting, bouche...bouche...bouche??? haha [big Grin]

Hope you and Brad make it down. Talk to Caroline, what about Gord, and what's Graham doin', passed out guy should definately be there...anyway, I'll gladly put 2 kind Canadian hippies on the guest list if you make the trip:) Bones [Wink]

quote:

shall we go, you and I while we can

quote:

Yeah, you can walk the plank screaming, "Booche" if you want. But, barring a minor miracle, you wont be seeing me running up and giving you a stranger-ly hug.....

Hopefully, Bouche will though [Wink]

Graham was telling me on Thursday night he really wants to check DSO out, and considering how much he loves the Dead, he should.

Bouche took me to see them in Syracuse in '00 as an xmas gift, at least, that is what I told my boss in order to get the time off, having been on the job a month.

Blabber Jabber!

Hey Bones, since you know the Passed Out Guy and Graham, have we met before?

Kingston? Ottawa? Somewhere in between???

good question.....I don't know if we've met before.

I've known PassedOut Guy for ever, well not really but we've been buds since 1990 or so...been living in BC for the last decade though. Met Graham and Blair through POG at some BNB shows a couple summers ago...earthfreak and I were partners for years...and she's in Ottawa now!

It's certainly possible.