Jambands.ca

Dark Star Orchestra tour close to Canada

bONES

Hi friends...I haven't had the time to post a message lately. Took me a few days to come down after the Nero show in Montreal. That night was a real treat...I thought the highlight of the show was when the boys broke into 401, but the encore blew me away!! It was a set in itself!

Anyway, I'm back on tour...DSO picked up again on thanksgiving weekend in NYC. Two nights on Broadway and I got to dance during the shows instead of my usual merch duties:)

I met a couple of great Ontario kids at our next gig in Allentown, PA...Marcelle and Ryan came out to the show and stuck around for two more on their way home. Nice driving through the blizzard Ryan...Canadians rock!

Thanks to the three Toronto brothers that were down at the Geneva show too...I had lots of names thrown at me that night so I can't remember yours, but thanks for making the trip! Every Canadian friend that comes down increases the chances of getting DSO up north, eh!

Anyway, the reason for this posting was to let y'all know that Dark Star are playing some shows real close to the border:

12/07 Boston, MA

12/08 Northhampton, MA

12/11 Portland, ME

12/12 Clifton Park, NY

12/13 Winooski (Burlington) VT

12/14 Philadelphia, PA

The Vermont show is probably the closest gig...4 hours from Ottawa...2 hours from Montreal!!

Anyway, roadie duties are calling...so I'm puffin' outta here dudes, cheers. Bones

I've only seen them once. They did a show from the acoustic/electric, Warfield, Radio City, tour. A friend of mine was at the show with his son. His son's only show was the last Highgate show when he was like eleven. His dad's first show was in 67. The dad thought they were really good and captured the sound while the son and his friends were boogien down like there was no tomorow. I noticed that there were a lot of ladies there who liked to dance. I like to dance too.

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

DSO headlines Jamgrass. I personally don't see what's so good about them. Half decent dead cover band, they are just less original by not choosing the setlist every nite.

[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

Whoa down there son..... you've seen them then? And they didn't blow you away?

I'm amazed by their authenticity, about how well they cover the dead through so many different eras- each show they play exemplifies their versatility. Think about this: it took the Dead years to transform into various styles, it takes DSO a night.

The quality of their jams is Amazing, they're all great musicians and even our own Dr. Hux will fall in love with the replica Bob Weir.

Even if that doesn't tickle your fancy, Vermontdave has a great point about girls who dance, and how if oyu like to dance, you might like DSO........... right Dave?

DaveyBoy,

I saw them do an electric and acoustic set 8/18/02 in Cleveland as they headlined Jamgrass.

I'm not a huge fan of cover bands, but they just didn't do it for me. They certainly knew their instruments and the tunes well, but the energy that I get from other cover bands wasn't there. They weren't smiling or having fun on stage, and there weren't too many girls groovin' like you said do as DSO shows.

I guess I had a bad experience, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 to see them again. They lack originality. Their is no new ideas going into their music. They are copying something to a tee, which I feel is a cop out to try to do something original.

I guess that's my two cents. Don't mean to offend.

Peace- [smile]

shain

dso = professionals

they are in the same league as blue floyd, or other 'non-bar' coverbands.

dso have made it into the hearts of many, many deadheads, which is a harder task than just making it these days.

I saw them in Buffalo, they were extremely tight. Its not like going to a father phil noodlefest, more like perfection. Not taking too many chances, they don't need to.

They just create quality entertainment, successfully.

Plus they have talent coming out of their wazoo's. . I guarentee the modern day trancy dance bands couldn't even raise an eyebrow to these guys. Show me another band that can pull off flawless Terrapin Stations or Dark Star's to the most hardcore audience, who is just looking for a reason to knock the band.

DSO sounds like the dead of the 70's or 80's if they choose. Something tOO's can't even do if they wanted.

Did u read the article with Herring where he says he can't sound like Jerry, even if he tried. His equipment today is so different to what the dead used back in the day. Well, DSO uses that equipment. The recreate the stage show ala dead in the 70's.

Full created Beast, all the same stacks and wah's; more or less a dead fans dream. I guess this is why two years ago I saw them sell out the Tralf in Buffalo for 12 dollars, now they are selling out state theatres at 20 dollars.

Just see dso if you like the dead. I'm sure if you don't like the dead, kinda like me in the past bob dylan thread, you would probably see them as hacks doin' something catchy. But if you like the 'boys, and respect music being recreated today, you WILL LOVE DSO; no matter how 'hardcore' of a deadhead ya think you are.

I really really really really really really wanna make it to DSO and nero next weekend.

It is basically the coolest weekend possible. 2 nights in b-town. Night one, DSO at Higher Ground, the SWEETEST live venue I've ever been to. They create a magical evening for anyone that loves the dead, and can turn anyone into a deadhead by providing them with basically a virtual live experience.

I like to compare them to the virtual reality of the future.

Night two, Nero returns to B-town. It was a blast to see them there in there first gig, and Valencia's has really warmed up to them since from what I've heard.

I have about 4 days to figure out if it's possible to make it down.

hey folks...I've got some time to kill before tonights show, so I thought I'd check in.

We're in Northhampton @ the Calvin Theatre...Todd and the boys, I'll be seeing you tonight:)

Last nights show was at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, and for the fourth time this tour the house provided a merch. seller. I got to boogie by monitor world and begin to take on some of the recording responsibilities.

It was a full house and the band recreated the setlist from June 4, 1977. Smokin' Lazylightning>Supplication in the first set. We also got a long overdue Peggy-O, a sweet Candyman, with a Music Never Stopped to end the set. Second set came a rippin' Estimated>Eyes, as well as Terrapin and China Doll among others. I thought the band played awesome, and as always played until the curfew.

For those of you coming down to Higher Ground, shoot me an email first and we'll hook up:)

Peace all...see you on down the road. Bones

"gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go we just ride" -R.Hunter

Does anybody know what show they'll be doing in Vermont? I checked http://www.darkstarorchestra.net/ and couldn't seem to find it. (Note that the VT show will be webcast on http://www.dcn.com .)

Since it's a 7:30pm start, it'll be tough to make it without leaving Ottawa by noonish, but I might be up for a two-night run, with Nero on Saturday, if anybody's thinking of going.

Aloha,

Brad

You won't know until the end of the show, unless you've got your pocket Deadbase on hand and manage to get the setlist early.

The last one we went to there was webcast, but it didn't show up on DCN for quite a while after the show.

They do every one that happens at the Higher Ground.

DSO video archive.

Watch the one from 05-21-2002 and see why you can't miss this if it's even remotely possible to get there for it.

Hey there, after the show last night in Northampton, I just wanted to say thanks to Bones for hooking us up with tix. I personally was blown away by the size of the production and the crowd that was there (approx. 1200-1500 people @ $20). Show was June 15, 1985 (wicked Terrapin and a nice U.S. Blues closer). I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would see the band again sometime. Hope all is well north of the border...

Bones, thanks so much for everything - the comps, the truck visit, the education into touring at that level (now I know why the Stones charge so much for t-shirts!). I can't imagine anyone coming closer to the Dead than DSO - I've seen six Dead's and two Jerry's and I mean they nail it. I was especially blown away by the stage setup, and I gotta say it makes it way more fun/authentic that they get huge crowds.

Thanks again Bones, you're one of the best. Hopefully we'll see you in Toronto at the Rivoli.

quote:

I just find it beyond bizarre that with all the young original touring acts out there anyone would want to go see a band recreate another band's shows.

Not all of us have seen that 'other band' perform the original shows, so seeing dso do what they do is very entertaining. You have to check them out, you'd understand......maybe.

Bobby joined dso at a benefit, commenting on "how this is the way the dead meant to sound"....

then again bobby played with the mmmboppers.... so [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

I just find it beyond bizarre that with all the young original touring acts out there anyone would want to go see a band recreate another band's shows.

I understand you point of view, but I consider the authenticity to be pretty original in itself. That sounds paradoxic, but then what other band does what they do?

Unabashed imitation- at least they're honest about it, and damn good at it.

my two scents

Please don't get me wrong, I understand the impulse to attend a DSO show and it's not surprising to me that they should be doing so well, there's obviously a generation of younger people who never had the chance to see the Dead (as Steve seems to mention to me every single chance he gets) and I guess if you want it bad enough this is a way to experience something. I just find the enterprise in and of itself bizarre, to say the least.

Someone sent me a DSO show as part of a b&p once and I checked it out. It was impressive inasmuch as they nailed the material but I couldn't get through the whole thing. All it did was make me want to listen to the Dead (which I proceeded to do). Maybe that's the point, I don't know....