Jambands.ca

All-Star Musician Survivor 2

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do I need to remind some of you folks about the story of the chicken and the egg??? we wouldn't be here talking about this right now if it wasn't for the chicken--

(GD) so, come on folks, yes, Jimi was a good guitar player, but this goes way beyond that, Jimi was an egg--not the chicken... Mr. Garcia deserves your respect. ::

Actually, Jerry was getting pretty egg-shaped near the end...

Aloha,

Brad

::

sheesh

looks like I should get classicrock.ca off the ground sooner than I thought

love jimi's stlye and passion but he didn't change my life with his heart, and maybe my mind is made of noodles but I prefer garcia's multiplicities of musical meanderings (they tickle my brain) and tear his soul out vocals, and judging from interviews I've heard I'd rather discuss this strange plane of existence we're experiencing, while watching the sun set off the island, with Jerry anyday (and I wouldn't have to worry about him trying to burn our only guitar or wiping spit off the strings because jimi used it to floss)

jimi off the Island

Hendrix was way more than a "good guitar player" number 2 - he completely changed the way the instrument is approached and certainly inspired way, WAY more guitar players and musicans in general than Jerry.

Jerry was definately a huge influence on a particular group of players in a particular genre of music that obviously a lot of people here are very into, but I think if you took a survey of the best guitarists in your 10 favorite bands (jamband or otherwise), more of them would name Hendrix as one of their top influences than Garcia.

- M.

this is not a servey on who was a better guitarist--this isn't guitar player Survivor,--Garcia and the Grateful Dead were the biggest influence on this music scene, "Jambands" were started at the Pranksters acid test parties, and I don't remember hearing Jimi playing them... Jimi is great, but Jerry is the egg--dude! ::

If Jerry came out with something that made my spinal cord tingle like jimi's solo in machine gun then i would vote for jerry to win but he hasn't. see ya jerry. Jimi should win. this is a jambands forum and i don't think there is anyone i would love to jam with more than him. after pete townshend saw him play moneray he told eric clapton we had better find new jobs. I don't think a lot of nay sayers really appreciate how talented this guy really was. If he was still alive the musical landscape as we know it would be very different place. I hope jimi and jerry are eating acid and jamming the blues together somewhere.

Garcia and the Grateful Dead were the biggest influence on this music scene

Fair enough #2 - I guess it comes to what's your personal criteria for voting.

I read Paisley's post just now and that made me think "well of course he's gonna side with Jerry, every time" 'cus Jerry has had a profound personal impact on his life, as he obviously has for many (but not all) folks here. Those of us who have great respect for Jerry (which I think is almost everyone on the board, myself included) but don't necessarily see him as having changed our lives personally are likely looking at things a little differently. That's people like myself and Jaimoe (whom I can speak for to some extent here 'cus I know he and I have some overlapping broad tastes) and others who love jam music but first and foremost love ROCK music generally.

I just wanted to throw that out there 'cus I suspect things are getting a little nasty, and certainly my vote is not meant as a dis of Jerry, or more importantly what Jerry means at a profound level to many good folk here, particularly the ones who I don't know personally as well and might not know where I'm coming from.

Well everybody except Hux who can just go stick it in Weir's ear for all I care. :P ::

Peace,

Mr. M.

Jerry vs Jimi? You Jerry voters ever heard any Jimi other than the 3 studio albums? Course you are all a bunch of dead heads ... and no one was able to blow me away with and Jerry mp3's ... so ...

Jerry out!

Steve

I've heard more then three albums...I'm surprised I never hear anyone ever raging about Nine To the Universe,which by the way we should be send emails and letters out to have that beauty recording re-released that album is probally one of the best inmy opinion.

I love Jimi,have for many years and have numerous albums & recordings (favourite being the Ottawa show) but Jimi never made as big an impact in my life as say Dylan,Cash or Garcia.

And Garcia never made as big an impact in my life as Dylan or Cash,but he did have a bigger impact on me then Jimi.

I've kept my mouth shout for all of these votes because each one was equally hard to choose in their own way.I was surprised to see so many Jimi lovers voting Dylan off (unsucessfully I might add) being how he had such an influence on Jimi.

I wouldn't i'm just saying he had that much of an influence on guitar players. he was at his creative best when he died and was only going to get better with age. I can't begin to imagine some of the collaborative efforts he could of been involved with. neil young, trey. shit would be off the hook yo.

"Right, it's bad enough you voted Miles Davis off (hang your heads in shame you sick, stinky wookies!) - I mean the guy only reshuffled and INVENTED entire musical genres like 300 times and was one of the finest horn players to ever live - but now you've voted off Johnny Cash?!?! In favour of JIMI "PURPLE HAZE" HENDRIX?!?!?!? The guy who wrote I Walk The Line, Folsom Prison Blues, Ring of Fire gets booted off in favour a freak in drag setting his guitar on fire?!?!? The guy who wrote Dolly Fucking Dagger???? Jesus Fuck! You all should be arrested and forced to listen to Jim "Do You Wanna See My Dick?" Morrison reciting poetry for the rest of your patch-work pant-wearing lives."

i love you.

oh, and i vote, well, i guess the guy who couldn't play guitar for even a decade....

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Acid is a powerful drug. This vote is coming down to what seems to be both for people and not MUSICIANSHIP (see Miles early exit for details) However, I'll play within the rules of the current game and if it's Lucy in the Sky and long-lost memories that fuels the average choice then it's back to the Purple Haze of my high school daze.

GDTRFB for doing this but I'm voting Jerry out.

Well, I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just having some fun. Please don't take me too seriously in these debates. I'd be happy to crank up some Jimi - or some high-end Lennon - at any time.

Let me be clear: Hendrix was one of my first musical loves. I collected quite a few bootleg vinyl LPs and live tapes, worked my way through his catalogue, studied his life and works, saw the video footage, loved it. Some of the first tunes I learned to play on guitar were Little Wing and Angel. But I guess I am a little tired of his being propped up as the be-all and end-all of influential guitarists, and I do think his legacy has been largely propped up by classic rock culture, largely to the detriment of other great guitarists. I think we need to challenge these assumptions from time to time but there is no doubt Jimi's influence extends farther than Jerry's.

Still, after Miles got booted off this time, any concept I had of retaining influence over personal preference went out the window. Given my druthers, Jerry would have been booted off before Miles, Elvis or Johnny but here we are: Jimi vs. Jerry.

Jerry gets my support because he didn't supernova and die (too) young like Jimi. He left a larger body of work behind that - while it may only largely be the concern of Deadheads at this point - will one day be seen in the bigger picture as a phenonemanally high level of quality and generous output. He was in a sense the closest rock and roll ever got to a Miles Davis (hah!). Nevermind his A+ songwriting, which will be reinterpreteted for hundreds of years, in true folk tradition.

No doubt Garcia was completely blown away by Hendrix (esp @ Monterey) but he rarely demonstrated a direct influence in his playing. I prefer passion and a slow-burn to pyrotechnics and a supernova. And, as paisley pointed out, Garcia possessed an agile mind and endless curiosity that would make him better company on the island. Hendrix would just break open your tylenol capsules and try to find a couple of sisters to get it on with, leaving you to sit there and beat it.

But let me repeat my mantra: DOWN WITH CLASSIC ROCK CULTURE! it's not good for music.

I vote Jerry off, no question. Jimi could kick your ass if he had three fingers missing! Jimi is it, the be-all and end-all of guitar heroes, and boy could he write a song! And lyrics! And without the help of a writer either. Not to mention that he made his mark and passed on at the age of 27! Jerry had twice that long, give Jimi his due!!!!

Spoken perfectly, Hendrix revolutionized music of that area, took it some place no one thought possible, the guitar n music was an extension of his being. Not only a revolutionary guitarist, a poet and great songwriter to boot. Any musician from that era has said the same thing, Hendrix brought music to a new level no one thought possible, he invented something new, not reinvented something that was already there. Anyway enough babbling, god love Garcia, and he is amazing and also has made an impact that'll be felt forever, but it took Garcia and the Dead a lifetime, Jimi did it in a little over 3 years, wow. Band of Gypsies?? come on people. Don't vote against this guy till you've heard the real shit, and i'm not talking radio friendly Watchtower, Purple Haze, Vodoo Chile, etc. They're great but did deeper for the real shit and listen before you act. It'll be tough with all the GD Heady pressure on this board.

My Vote: Garcia off.

But I guess I am a little tired of his being propped up as the be-all and end-all of influential guitarists, and I do think his legacy has been largely propped up by classic rock culture, largely to the detriment of other great guitarists...

But let me repeat my mantra: DOWN WITH CLASSIC ROCK CULTURE! it's not good for music.

Here, here MarcO! But let's also not throw the baby out with the bathwater either. If this was coming down to Jerry vs., I dunno, Tom Sholtz from Boston or somebody like that, yeh no question it's Jerry by a million miles. But there are a few truly great guitarists that are part of the classic rock pantheon (Hendrix, Clapton, Page & Van Halen spring to mind) and are admittedly overplayed on Q107 or whatever, but that shouldn't diminish their real greatness 'cus it has so little to do with who they were as artists. That would be just as bad as saying Garcia sucks solely 'cus you don't like the supposed "drug & lazy hippie culture" that surrounds the Dead. That crap really pisses me off when I hear people diss the Dead 'cus I at least understand to some extent what it's really about for most Deadheads 'cus they're my friends, and I end up standing up for them all the time.

Oh and MarcO, no worries - I never, ever take you too seriously! :P ::

- M.

people dissin the Dead is a good thing, keeps the scene pure®... people show up because they want to, not because its the cool thing to do (well, I guess that kind of changed in the 90s, but still)

Hendrix had one of the original tube models of those nero pedals that played all the notes for him :P

its all apples and oranges, just comes down to who do ya like better (rockers)