Jambands.ca

Come Together Music Fest info

mark tonin

it seems to me that the line ups in the past were much better, it just seems like a lot of small acts, i definatly think DD should play the second stage all day saturday and saturday night, and maybe catuion jam sunday night, and cavern should play saturday moring early enoght that people are stiull sleeping or too hung over to hear that crap

Probably, but I'd get a one day pass... Izzy's straight up sucks... While it is a beautiful venue, the amout of cops and kids makes it less of a crazy scene than Ghost Town ever was. That was part of the charm, you could do whatever you wanted, all while fantastic music was being played. I have seen almost every one of these bands live, and besides Diesel Dog and Tala, I really don't care to see most of them again. I'm not saying they suck, just not what I'm into. nero, being my favorite band, would obviously sweeten the deal. So would GTB, The Slip, Creaking Tree String Quartet, JSB, Drums & Tuba, or one of many other bands who have graced the stage at a CTMF. It's a fairly weak line-up at a overly policed venue... I'll be saving my money. Will you be going?

I know that the "camping with kids and families" issue is a concern for some people. I spoke with Mark Wilson about this and many other things last night, and he told me that there will be a separate campground set up this year specifically for people who are attending the festival. Festival goers will have a choice where they camp this year - with the seasonal campers (which includes some families), or in the special "festival campground". More specific info about this will be posted on the festival web site soon.

As for being "overly-policed", other than the one incident which involved the police and the guy who had lots and lots and lots to drink and was definitely pissing some people off, I personally didn't think it was overly-policed. Yes maybe the campground security people could have told people to slow their driving down in a more friendly way, but really, I thought the security in the camping area and in the music/stage area was pretty reasonable. I didn't see anybody get kicked out for any reason, and I didn't see any security roaming through the campground looking to give people a hard time. Pretty relaxed security compared to most music events that I've attended.

That's my 2 cents for now ... more small change to follow at some point I'm sure! :D

Peace, Mark

i went to izzy's for labour day ctmf, and while i half-expected to encounter some "oh, this isn't as good as frontier town" pangs, honestly, the weekend was *SO* unbelievably fun from start to finish, i couldn't have had any complaints if i tried to. i didn't notice any over-the-top security, and where we were camping at least, the families with children kept pretty much to themselves, and we didn't really encounter any major problems with them. and maybe we were just lucky, but we certainly didn't roll back the anything goes attitude that goes along with a frontier town trip, and we didn't run into any snags. heck, we didn't have a firepit at our campsite, and thorgnor, givin'er gov'na that he is, dug one out of the middle of a "road" with a hatchet. i think the most that even came of that was a laughing, oh, well that's a road -- they didn't make us fill it in or give us any crap or anything.

i don't know, as long as you aren't acting like a complete and total jackass, and you party responsibly enough you aren't pissing people off left right and centre, then you shouldn't really run into any difficulties.

frontier town is tha bomb, and of course we're gonna miss it, but izzy's is pretty stylin' too. the drive is much nicer than the one to frontier town, the lake is a beautiful, beautiful touch (and i didn't even go in it!), the main stage area is great, it's got lots of great amenities frontier town didn't (i.e. actual bathrooms), and if labour day was any indication, it's a sick, sick, sick amount of fun.

so if you haven't been to izzy's yet, don't in any way think the festival won't be as much fun just because it isn't at frontier town. give izzy's a chance, personally, i can't wait to go back!

I look forward to every CTMF! Three days of camping surrounded by truly fun and wonderful people, and put together by genuine promoters - now that's my kind of weekend and definitely worth my support! I'll go camping even if it means throwing on the same old cds on my car radio, but THIS is BETTER! There's LIVE music to fuel the fun! And judging by the line-up, some fantastic bands will be persuading my shoes to come off and have me kickin' up some dirt!

Can't wait to let loose and party it up with all you crazy freaks!!!! CTMF always proves to be the highlight of my summers.

as long as you aren't acting like a complete and total jackass, and you party responsibly enough you aren't pissing people off left right and centre, then you shouldn't really run into any difficulties.

wakeupwakeupwakeup itstimetogetuppppp

I've never tried to piss anyone off but I don't like bumping into 7 years olds while I'm stumbling about at 9 am on day 3 mumbling about god knows what... its good things are seperated... something I truly enjoyed about Frontier Town was if things became a little "overwhelming" I could duck out to the back 40 or into the forest for a bit without having to disturb anyone

I prefer the wild tribal drumming fire spinning gathering than the party hardy but responsibly type gathering but if I'm free that weekend (and can afford it) I'll likely stop by

musically speaking most of the bands I travel to go see are playing at the Shaker... while there's some all right things going on on the list if the prices are the same as last year I'd like to see a few things added... most of the bands I can see here in town fairly regularly

I sure miss the saloon, but campings fun and better yet with live music... guess I'll leave it at a "we'll see" for now

I've never tried to piss anyone off but I don't like bumping into 7 years olds while I'm stumbling about at 9 am on day 3 mumbling about god knows what.

That's exactly how I feel. It's a nice place for sure, but the party atmosphere is definitely not the same as it was at Frontier Town. At least, not for me. I just cannot ignore the fact that we have an audience of families and children, and get completely crazy.

I'm sure I'll go to, but I cannot pretend it's the same old party. This venue needs some bigger names to really sell it. I'm willing to put up with security and police and families and children to see some big name bands that I maybe haven't seen before, but this festival does not offer that, IMHO.

This is taken from the other CTMF thread:

Originally posted by Cosmic:

The latest news:

The lineup is close to being finalized for the May 2004 festival - check out who has been booked so far!

Jomomma

Diesel Dog

Tala

Cavern

Caution Jam

The Resinators

New Shady Groove

Mark Wilson & The Way It Is

Steve & Crazy Stickbird

Cosmic Boogie Band

Superstack

Watts

Six Foot Groove

Gorilla Funk Monster

… and more to follow ...

This year, there will be two stages. The main stage will feature bands on Friday night (starting at 8 p.m.), and from mid-afternoon until late at night on Saturday and Sunday. The second stage will operate on Saturday and Sunday during the afternoon and evening.

i also find the kids that think their mullets will bleed if you cut them quite a weird aspect of the environment. but i love ctmf. the fact that there is swimming available in waterford and the fact that i dont have to book the weekend off of work as i can go to work from izzy's and come right back garuntees my presence. is there anything more fun to do on may 2-4 than see dozens of great bands in a beautiful spot with several hundred nice people that you have partied with before? i mean, we may not all know each other but generally we are familiar faces and that is a great feeling!hey, i'll make a deal...if over a thousand people show up for this i will swim naked! ::