Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Sisters Euclid this Monday (April 26th)

DevO

back to the hammer?

as in your leaving from the hammer?

if yes, we should carpool, i was thinking about heading out myself.

Steve

Hey Steve, actually I'll be driving down from Peterborough and then heading to the Hammer.. But if you can get to the show I'll gladly drive you home.

Party on! Maybe Cyro Baptista will drop by again.

That was a FAAAAANTASTIC show!

Nice to finally meet KevO and a couple other new faces (Steve, and, um, ...), and always nice to see Cyberhippie, Slippery Dan, Large Marge, peipunk (the birthday boy), and all the others who I can't remember.

Sitting at that VIP table was SWEET!

Time for bed - work in 8 hours (no problem)!

Bash.

In case you're interested, here's a review of Breit's John & The Sisters album:

From All Music Guide:

***/5

The artist billing for this CD is a little uncertain: looking at the cover you'd deduce it's a self-titled effort by "John & the Sisters," but elsewhere it's inferred that this is a collaboration between Kevin Breit's Sisters Euclid band and singer John Dickie. Whatever the case, guitarist Breit is certainly the main motor of the project. He and Dickie — credited as a "special guest," though he is in fact the usual lead singer — are also responsible, working either separately or together, for writing most (though by no means all) of the material. It's an eccentric record, a kind of mutant blues-rock that rarely sounds like straight blues, mixing it with a good amount of funk, soul, gospel, brass band jazz, hipster vocal attitude, and odd, murky sonic textures (including occasional brief links between songs) that sometimes verge on the experimental. In these respects, there are some similarities to bluesy-but-not-blues' ventures by the likes of Tom Waits, Morphine, and the Latin Playboys, though it's not imitative of any of these. There's a kind of sleazy, swampy atmosphere to both the songs and arrangements that almost makes you wonder whether these guys are self-consciously trying to be weird, or are a more ordinary bar band who are somehow unselfconsciously sounding weird. All of this is probably making it sound more intriguing than it is. The songs aren't so hot, conjuring the sort of low-life, twilight-zone hotel existence pictured on the cover, but usually in a way that's more mundane than enticing. Too, Dickie's mannered, sometimes overwrought vocals can grow tiresome, and the songs themselves often plod on for way too long. — Richie Unterberger

Note:

The Toronto Sun gave the album 4/5 Suns.

It's an eccentric record, a kind of mutant blues-rock that rarely sounds like straight blues, mixing it with a good amount of funk, soul, gospel, brass band jazz, hipster vocal attitude, and odd, murky sonic textures (including occasional brief links between songs) that sometimes verge on the experimental.

That's a pretty good description of what went down last night, I was having a hard time putting it to words. The music is borrowed from a lot of the roots but formed into something completely unique!

I'm glad I stuck around the City for this show last night. It turned into a mini-Skankaroo! Nice to see again / meet Trevor, Basher, Slippery, Large Marge, Jaydawg, Can'O'Dave, and the PUNK and maybe more (?). Kevin Breit kills me with that slide! The first song of the first set still stands out, beautiful song. Kevin's older brother came out for a song during first set. John Dickie played at least half the 2nd set as well as the 2-song encore.. All songs they played (with John Dickie) are featured on the new John & The Sisters album that Jaimoe mentioned. I have the album, I like it, and I'm gonna review it soon for jambands.ca. John Dickie has a hugely powerful and wide ranging voice, and he sways around on the stage with his arms at his sides, its pretty entertaining!

My rear-view mirror busted off on the way home and I had to pull over and buy super glue. ::