Jambands.ca

Last Night @ The Orbit Room

can-o-phish

What can I say about last night....The Sisters were in overload mode to say the least. And room enough for everyone being that the end of the long weekend kept many regulars somewhere else.

The first set was smokin' and just a builder to what was going to happen for the second and, unfortunately, this is where I have to "vent".

I've been recording the Sisters for quite awhile now. Kevin and I have just finished picking and prepping 57 tunes to start going up on his website for download and streaming. Most regulars at The Orbit know me and are respectful with regards to the recording and not being to "vocal" around the recording gear.

Start of the second set, Giggles and I were primed with beer and ears and two people sit down next to us and one starts and continues to talk all the way through the second set. When the music was louder, well, so was this guy sitting next to us. Just wouldn't shut up. It was a little in to the second set that he passes Giggles some promo flyers for something he's promoting, and continues to babble and babble through some of the most amazing stuff I've heard the Sisters play. Those of you who know me know that I'm a polite and soft spoken person. I looked over MANY times at this guy to try to give him the subtle hint that he was bleeding into the mics, but he didn't catch on. I, and all the people around him, tolerated his yappy trap for the entire second set.

At the end of the second set I was informed that he's a member on this and other boards, Shainhouse. I was in shock. What was looking to be like some amazing material for the website is now not usable because of the constant spewing of verbal diarrhea that's in the mix.

We're all out to have fun, but if you're there to talk, please be respectful of the folks around you. Head to the back of the room or go somewhere where you won't be so intrusive. I know for a fact that were several people in our section who were a little pissed.

Respectfully,

Can'o'phish

I'm just wondering why you didn't respectfully ask him to keep his voice down? If you didn't say or do anything about the noise well then I guess you can't complain about the shitty recordings that resulted from it.

I don't think you can be blaming Shainhouse for them.

'Yeah there's this band New Shady Groove and they're really groovy and oh there's this other band Contact and well I don't know they're kind of Phishy but not you know like the song Contact with the tires are the things on your car and man you should come down to the Hammer cause there's a great show going on and did I tell you about my article on Jambase....'

if i was in your position, i just would have told him to be quiet.

did he know you were taping? if he did, that surprises me.

shain is a good guy, sometimes he just gets carried away. i personally love to see someone with such enthusiam towards our 'scene', or lack of it.

either way, if you have been taping long, you should know to write on a tiny piece of paper, "i'm recording, could you continue your conversation somewhere else."

I'm sure he would have gladly complied.

It almost seems stupid that you got so mad at someone who 'ruined your recording', when you could have taken care of it quite easily.

Oh well...

Kevin Breit is still THE man. Best guitarist in Ontario, probably Canada.

STeve

Not sure why Shain is suddenly being vilified on this site, kind of sad considering how much he puts in to this community. Easy target I suppose when someone puts themselves out there and is younger than most.

I am pretty sure that if you (dave?) and giggles had tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out the mics, he would've quieted down immediately. Sometimes people dont notice things like that, myself included. (sorry bradm- for repeadedly talking near your mics) People should speak up when they are thinking something and not assume people are catching subtle hints. :)

ps- cant wait to hear some of those recordings!

Well had I been in that position I wouldn't have said anything either. I wouldn't want to seem like a dick and tell someone to pipe down. For some people that's all they need to start really being an ass, not Shainhouse, but some people. Plus I hate confrontation and would have felt uncomfortable for the rest of the show, so either way it would have been ruined for me. I don't really think it's right to say that becuase you didn't do anything about it, that you should have nothing to complain about. I mean Can O Phish should *not* have had to tell *anyone* to pipe down in the first place.

I'm surprised to hear Shainhouse was the offender, he's usually pretty attentive to the music.

I agree, if you wanna chat, go to the back, don't sit beside the taper. Sorry Shain...

Damn though, I'm sorry I missed this show, sounds like it smoked!

"I mean Can O Phish should *not* have had to tell *anyone* to pipe down in the first place.

"

i disagree totally with this.

why shouldn't he have? i'm the biggest breit fan on the planet, and even i know, not everyone goes to a bar to listen to the music. if they paid to get in, if there was a cover, and they bought a beer, they have EVERY RIGHT to talk really, where ever they want. Its their right.

Not everyone wants to sit and stare at the music. Did u catch my comment about seeing GTB? Sometimes is ok to talk. And if the music gets louder, so does the chatting. Its just the way it is.

One question, if you guys are REALLY worried about the recordings, why didn't you go to radio shack, buy a cheap mixer, and run a matrix with the board, and ON STAGE mics...

He rarely sings, and if he does, you still have the vocals coming out of the board, in a clearer and stronger signal.

if breit really wanted quality recordings, especially in a bar, he would have taken the measure to do it.

a simple matrix would solve any crowd problems...and its not hard to do.

i matrixed with my MINIDISC recorder all the time.

Damned if i'm telling someone to be quiet. THey have a right to talk. Instead I"LL work around it, so my recording isn't 'ruined'.

STeve

I had a porch party here a few weeks ago and I got a noise complaint the next day. What am I supposed to do about it the next day?!? If you got a problem, state it. You'll soon find out if you're dealing with an asshole or someone who just wasn't aware. Shainhouse woulda moved to the back.

You shoulda said something. Before you were mad.

And yeah, Kevin Breit is the best guitarist around.

Actually, shainhouse was sitting directly next to us with mics in front of his face. Like I said previously, I'm a very polite person and didn't want to be a "dick" and rain on his night. Everyone has a right to enjoy their night, but it baffled me that someone who "is part of the scene" was so ignorant to what was directly in front of themselves.

Next time I guess I'll lean over and tell whoever to "shut the fuck up".

Enough said...

Can'o'phish

Ya know what, I absolutely give up on this scene sometimes.

I brought a friend who had never seen the band before and was just explaining the songs to him throughout the night. He asked a question or two, and I answered them. I had no idea I was being so loud and normally I spoke when the band was not playing, as I was totally into the band last night. Next time, quietly tell me what I'm doing, and I'll rectify the situation. I noticed that someone was taping, and I tried to be curteous to both my friend and the taper by speaking quietly during the breaks in between songs. I had no idea I was being so loud.

Can o' Phish, I'm sorry I ruined your evening, the recording and obviously everyone else's evening last night. I had no idea I was offending you so much. You could have asked Giggles or Mary to tell me how much I was offending you, they know me quite well.

This is extremely frustrating to me. I'm not going to vent on this board because I have more important things to do with my time.

Again, I apologize for what I did. I had no idea I was being so obtrusive so please if you like, continue to villify me on this board, as has been the trend the past week or so.

Sorry, editing. Forgot one thing:

Greg, No. This was no mentioned to me before it was posted. I would have graciously apologized if I knew I was offending someone that much.

Respectfully-

Shainhouse

"Next time I guess I'll lean over and tell whoever to "shut the fuck up"

Did you read anything i posted?

if you told me to shut the fuck up, you'd get a really funny recording...

this is what i've done, and most tapers do, when confronted with your situation. i'm going to bold this, because you obviously missed it the first time around.

On a piece of paper, tell him you are taping, and to please continue his conversation elsewhere....offer him a recording....or a beer, as i said, he has every right to be there, and talk. unless breit, on stage says DONT TALK, he can chat.

Did you totally pass everything i said about matrixing? in a small bar, just run directly off the board, if you dont want to matrix.

the problem you encountered comes from an uneducated taper.

Sorry, its just the way it is. Now that you've experienced the situation, hopefully next time you deal with it in a more mature manner. your recording WONT be ruined, and neither will your evening.

But i'll say it again, in bold, MATRIX!!!!!!

if you guys are really concerned about the recording, and want to possibly release it, or add it to your website, why wouldn't you go to long and mcquade (sp) and rent some really good gear. It doens't cost much for a one night rental, and they'll give you some good info on how to produce a great recording.

A nice mixer, taking dual signals, once from a sweet pair of neumman mics, and the other a good signal from the board, and you'll have MUCH MUCH MUCH better recordings than taping from your table.

you didn't answer why you weren't running you mics on stage.

Yes, I actually read the posts.

Secondtube - There is no board to matrix off of at TOR. The stage is so tiny that if one were to put mics up there, well, the musicians would have mics in their nostrils or in their anal cavities.

Shainhouse, I apologize for this string. I tried to catch your attention many times but, like Secondtube posted, there are other ways around this.

I take the recording maybe a bit too seriously as it will be on Kevin and The Sister's site.

My apologies to all for the Tuesday bitchin'.

Can'o'phish

Hey,

Shain & I have passed the pipe and made our peace.

All is well again and my apologies for this Tuesday bitch post.

In my defense, it's been raining and grey for a week and half in Toronto and I'm gonna go fuggin' postal if I don't get a bit of sun soon!!!

Cheers,

Can'o'phish

it should be about respect

for the band

for people who travelled to be there

for old friends who maybe only see one another at shows

for new friends we make off this board

be aware of your surroundings

everyone deserves to have a good time and have fun

talk or don't...just be respectful

it should be about respect

for the band