Jambands.ca

Evolve 5 Review

Del

actually, i guess there's a little more i wanted to say...

as far as the dj's go, i can see where both del and velvet are coming from, but i think the problem lies in the placement of the stage, not necessarily what is coming from it. the late morning early techno coming from the unity stage where most of the tenting seemed to be close to would surely have made me want to pull my hair out. but like del said, it was cool down at the mushroom stage.. well, yeah, because its kinda secluded from any camping, as is the roots stage... so i think if that type of stuff was left to those stages for the 3-10 people that were up for it, it would do a world of wonder for the other few thousand that could really use a nap... or who want to take in a workshop and hear whats going on... or relax and listen to children's music over breakfast... whatever the case... but i still think in terms of sheer numbers, and drawing people to the festival, the dj's are a necessary part of the equation, there's no denying probably just as many people, perhaps more, go and dont even bother to see one band.

you know, the first thing i saw on the weekend when i got there, i was in line to pick up my pass, and i saw a baby trying real hard to take its first steps, you know, really thinking about it, assessing the situation, going for it, then deciding against it... but it kept getting back up to go for it... it was pretty amazing to watch, and i thought to myself that it'd be pretty fitting for the kid to take its first steps at Evolve... that kinda got the whole thing rolling on a real good note for me... and for anyone out there who knows him, it was jim lewis' kid (wassabi drummer), and by now she may have taken that step, or will very soon, so hey, congratulations jimmy and family! thats pretty cool..

i sat in on a few workshops on sunday morning/early afternoon, and man, i gotta say i hope more people take those things in throughout the weekend, cuz they can be very informative, or just relaxing and soothing to the soul. a great way to get the day going.

i also found my way to the waterfall/swimming hole, and man, talk about a commitment walk. its far, but once you get goin there is no turning back, and it really is worth it. nice little pool type area, with little pockets of water, and a nice little bit of waterfall keeping it full and flowing, and freezing fu©king cold... but the 15 or 20 minutes you can take in the water is worth the hour walk there and back. hahaha.

but yeah, i think thats all... those thoughts just jumped back in my head...

what a weekend.

oh ya, i also wanted to mention how great i thought it was to see all the other musicians checking out all the other bands and partying with everyone all weekend... on just about any stage for any act you could find usually more than a few other musicians taking it in... i think that shows a great deal of unity and respect... i mean, they could just hang out in the vip area with the food and free beer... way to go, guys... the ones that stick out the most, stephen franke was just about everywhere i seemed to be, same with various members of the bus, jer little from bnb gettin' down during nero, and i saw marc friedman and brad barr at the unity stage, at separate times, but i cant remember if it was wassabi or blue quarter on stage...

Could someone please make me understand why the stages pump ground-shaking dj's all night until 11am when there are thousands trying to get some rest and literally 3-10 people at the stage watching the music?

Evolve is a great fest, but the inescapable all-night dj's are enough to stop me from going again.

I was passing through Antigonish the weekend of Evolve and one of the main reasons why I wanted no part of the festival was because of the 24 hour music marathon. I'd go fu©king crazy.

There's a few rumblings here and there about violence that didn't quite surprise me. Throw a bunch of high ass townies into a festival and it's like a bag of cats. I thought this comment was hilarious though.

I never witnessed any violence but ganstas and booze seem to end up wrecking any good scene so its not a surprize. I felt like punching this drunk cougar at one point during Spearhead's set when she yelled out, "Tell someone who cares" when Franti was giving his speech about the War. I think she missed the point of Evolve. Some people just don't get it and will be there for all the wrong reasons.

Did anyone catch Slainte Mhath? If so, how was it?

http://www.slaintemhath.com/tour.htm

I caught these guys and though I was pretty burnt out by that point, I couldn't help but dance... great attitude, beautiful peeps, and a really good sound with a huge array of instruments. Definitely finished everything off with an awesomely upbeat and down east vibe.

I'll spare you the Spearhead details. Maybe this stuff is for some of you, but I can't stand the "do this", "do that" crap. NW

It was definitely for me... what a crowd pleaser! Not only was he pulling everyone out of their drunken sun-strokes, but he was passing along some very important messages about the current situation in Iraq (from where he was just returning). This set was one of the highlights of my weekend as I was very pleasantly surprised by the high energy and engaging demeanor of Franti. Not once did I get flashbacks to Sunday services (though I felt like I may have had one or two religious experiences!!!)

I was passing through Antigonish the weekend of Evolve and one of the main reasons why I wanted no part of the festival was because of the 24 hour music marathon. I'd go fu©king crazy.

What a shame that you wouldn't come on account of that! The beauty of the Evolve site is that you are free to camp anywhere. If the DJ music is so bothersome, or the thought of 24-hour audio, then you can simply pick up your tent and move it over the hill, or into the woods or something... you may have been able to find some decent shade that way too. Personally, I found the 24-hour action to be a great attraction - talk about getting your $$$ worth! Besides, it just wouldn't be the same without all of those awesome ravers running around in their flamboyant costumes and buggy eyes at all hours of the night/day.

OK, so now that i've responded to everyone, here's my additions (albeit brief - I'm at my Mom's place in PEI on a tiny laptop with the letters all worn off of the keys... it's taking me forever to type!)

I LOVED IT!!! From the moment I arrived and saw Jay at the front gate to the moment I left after seeing Jay close it down on the main stage with a dissemination of garbage bags, I had nothing but good times. The setup was awesome (though wash stations at all the potty stops would have been nice), the staff and security welcoming and friendly throughout, and the site itself is heavenly (especially with that glorious weather!). As for the music... I was not once turned off or dissapointed. Even GTB didn't piss me off like they have the last few times I've seen them. As I said, Franti was a pleasant surprise, Nero's set rocked and whoever brought in the inflatable Orca and tried to crowd-surf it over the audience in the mere 8-ft high tent made my night! I finally got to see BNB again!!! (they always seem to play while I'm out of town) I was so impressed with the new stuff; have they already been playing this stuff in Ontario? If not, good things are coming to y'all. scratch - GREAT things! Other great things yet to come to Ontario... Mellonworks and Fat Jebus. Though they played earlier than originally scheduled, it was still a late night. Not too late for Mark Wilson, Stephen Franke and Jeremy from BNB to boogie in the front row and shout out encouraging accolades - man, I love this scene!!!

Anyway, I',m sure I'll think of more later, but that's all for now. Thanks to all the musicians, organizers and volunteers; I hope it was also a success in your books. Cheers!

man, i forgot about the crowd surfing orca! hahaha! i was gonna start a separate thread to mention the nero set, but i might as well do it here... HOLY fu©k!!!! i mentioned earlier that it was the first time i was really able to get down, but man, did i get down!! and up! and all over the place!! those dudes took me on an awesome rollercoaster, and i really cant say enough about that set. i danced, i got spacey, i stared in awe... all of it... first time i got to hear punk sing, and yeah, that was a treat. great echoes. it really seemed like the boys were having a lot of fun (especially lauzon), and i think it really came through in the music... thanks guys!

i caught a bit of mellonworks, and it wasnt really doin it for me.. not that i thought they were bad, to be honest, i was completely indifferent at that time.. so after chillin' out for a bit, i said goodnight and was asleep before i got a chance to see fat jebus... next year, i guess...

A little late but here's my story.. As some may know, Allison and I have been on the road for a few weeks now, and unsurprisingly the van was starting to feel it by the time Evolve came around. We got about a 1/2 km from Evolve when the car died.. Find neighbours, call CAA, got towed into a garage in nearby town of Monastrey. Friendly mechanic worked late to get me back on the road!

Anyway cuz of this event, our tent ended up being right beside the Unity stage, spewing many ungodly beats at all hours (also some great acts too).. Anyways we ended up sleeping in the van. GTB's set was awesome, probably the best I've ever seen them and I'm even beginning to recognize some of the new tunes. When will their new album come out? The Slip was the musical highlight of the weekend, we were maybe 10 people back, a little left of centre. What a show!! I wish they could've played longer. Masters of expression, I hope I make it back in time for some of those Canadian dates. Some gin & tonics and then we caught Wassabi's set which was certainly danceable and fun. I liked them better before the line-up changes but at least they still have something solid going on.

I regret missing SF&NFTT.. next time. The Rheostatics set was surprisingly (to me) sparsely attended, we sat at the very front of the stage and took in the whole thing.. Pretty good set but very mellow, reflecting the dead crowd. Chris Brown & Kate Fenner sat in which was kinda nice. Then those 2 took off to head over to the mushroom stage for their set and Tielli said to them (over the mic), "we'll see ya over there", so I wasn't gonna miss that. I missed the Luther Wright set and opted to check out Scratch Bastid ---- so glad I did!!!! This Halifax kid is a real entertainer, scratching and mixing beats, some funk and some great sounding hip hop. He talked to the crowd, smiled a lot and took requests. I could see exactly what he was doing on the tables too which I really enjoyed. I'd highly recommend checking him out!

Then down to see Chris & Kate's set.. all of the Rheos excpet for Bidini (I think) were sitting in and it was pretty cool to see all these great musicians on a small stage. Once they left, Luther Wright & The Wrongs joined Chris & Kate too. I found it ironic that at a festival with such focus on jam bands, it was the mainstream rock bands doing all the musical collaborations or "sit-ins" that our scene tends to love so much.

A funny scene I saw at the side of the stage as Chris & Kate finished up their set.. BNB was unloading their gear and the Rheos were still hanging out. I noticed Mike Flippowitch (sp?), Martin Tielli and Dave Bidini having a nice chat for a good 10 minutes and I couldn't stop laughing at this picture. Flippowitch and Tielli engrossed in conversation --- BEST CAPTION CONTEST EVER! I ran over to Scott (guigsy) and wondered what they were talking about. guigsy put it best - "I don't even want to know!"

Ran back over to the other side to catch JSB, smoking tunes over there on the main stage, man this band is on FIRE now! The crowd was huge and everyone seemed to be right into it. Then back to see about 2 songs of BNB, I wasn't minding it but the two people I was with wanted to catch Spearhead so we took off. Spearhead ---- meh. I wasn't into it at all.

I missed Nero's set and I'm still kickin' myself... fack! i know, i know. very dishonourable. Biggest regret of the weekend for sure.

On the Sunday, I can't remember the name of hte band right now but they were on the mainstage and playing Django Reinhardt inspired gypsy guitar tunes and this was the most chilled out set of the weekend - sun was shinning and it was just perfect! Jay Cleary was in on this set - good on ya! The band is great and I hope they tour around a bit. Hot Toddy was a treat too.. I heard that Slainte M_____ band from my tent and it sounded like fun.

Other things:

- nice hanging out with the Punk, Sloth and Bear and the swimmin hole on Saturday!

- can't believe i never even saw you there Del, G-Monkey, Dave, Lara --- strange.

- caught some of High Plains Drifter's set on Saturday on the way back from swimming - sounded good. They covered a Supergenerous (Briet/Baptista) song.

- We stayed till Monday.. Sunday night was dead all around the campgrounds, with some decent music coming from the Om festival bus' little mini stage.. but no one to hear it. There were still lots of tents around though; i guess most just passed out.

- guigsy the mix cd's are awesome! thanks!

- the van made it out, died twice on the way to Antigonish then went into the shop. we got it fixed and now it seems to be working well. "bad connector on wire harness to distributor".

- right now we're wwoofing, we're on cape breton, we're here: www.bighillretreat.com

cheers!

fu©kin' eh, man!

haha, i had completely forgot about seeing you at the chris and kate set... i remember now, though... so many holes in the weekend, and i didnt even drink! hah, but yeah, that was a pretty funny scene... and that was my personal favourite set of the weekend.

have fun wwoof'in!

evolve5-52.jpg

High Plains Drifter setlist for EVOLVE

Drum Jam - > Friki (original)

Mario Brothers (regge/metal version)

Harlem Nocturne (jazz standard reggae version)->dub jam-> Bed's Too Big (Police)->Harlem Nocturne

Midnight (original) ->segue->

50/50 (Frank Zappa) ->segue->Digerido jam

Panteca (Grey Boy Allstars)

Rust-a-Bout (Supergenerous) ->segue-> I can't put my finger on it (Ween)

Ron's Requiem (original)

Hardheaded Rio (Charlie Hunter/Garage a trio)

Funky Zucchini (original)

guests:

Ryan Mercier (Fat Jebus) on tibales and percussion

Jeff Mosher (Mellotones) saxophones