Jambands.ca

My Turn to Say Something

Douglas

No scene is all good brah. This scene, that scene, the next scene....whether we're talking about "douchbags" (as was so eloquently put) or family life, school, work, music, politics, love, friends, even nature can suck at times.

Everything can have a negative aspect. This "scene" is no different.

It also has it's wonderful uplifting qualities. I, myself, would rather wake up everyday knowing that I have things/people to be grateful for and happy with. Not to say that I don't frown or shake my head a dozen times a day, but I thank the heavens for every smile that crosses my face, for every laugh that erupts from the pit of my stomach, and more so for each and every good feeling that I may bring out in someone else. Whether that be as simple as helping the old lady who needed help with the ATM, or loving an old friend who was comtemplating suicide (yes, that happens).

I'm not an optimist. I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. I realize that there are scary things happening around us all the time. I realize that there are wonderful things happening around us all the time. And most of all I realize that this may be it for all we may know. And goddamn, I'm going to make the most of it. And that most certainly doesn't mean that it's all good....it means, make as much as you possibly can good.

Discuss that.

I'm not an optimist. I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist.

::

edit to add:

Not the topic for me to really get involved in here but I have had a similar conversation many times with another person on this board.

this discussion has been had ::

said the optimist who got tired of being a pessimist for so so long and considers life too fleeting and intangible to consider himself a realist (though his saggitarian nature insists what he knows is what is and truth is truth but then, perceptions, experiences and the weather vary)

see you on the weekend my friend :D

and this "scene" is simply a part of your life if you're aware of it, whatever "it" is... one of many many parts of each and everyone's life... which considering one of my favorite parts of this "scene" being the diversity of the backgrounds and opinions I'm aware of amongst the many who contribute something or other, even if only acknowledgement, gives each and every a chance to do with it as they will... knock it for what it is and try to tear it (or yourself) apart or take it as an extension of who you are (or why would you be here) and nurture it to become yet more

if its grown so unsavory why not just move on to tastier flavors and accept not everyone is at the same crossroads... people don't all change at the same time, we all like to be known and understood but can't all be the same... god help us if it was that way

one congruent thing I've found from the harshest to the mildest members of our "scene" (which I guess I'll call the people who frequent this message board though many others are involved) is acute sensitivity... while a wakeup call to lead away from stagnation is possibly sometimes in order, I don't think most here don't deserve a barrage of condemnations while heading to this favorite cafe of ours to meet up with people who we hope might be like us... if I'm stupid, illiterate, and boring so be it... at least sometimes I love life and this "scene" keeps me in touch with others who I love to see love life too (and it hurts to see them insulted and challenged for being who they are because I know it hurts them... there must be a better way to motivate change if change is necessary)

lovingly, drunkenly,

paisley

this discussion has been had ::

said the optimist who got tired of being a pessimist for so so long and considers life too fleeting and intangible to consider himself a realist (though his saggitarian nature insists what he knows is what is and truth is truth but then, perceptions, experiences and the weather vary)

see you on the weekend my friend :D

I have no clue what you are talking about man.

Did we have this discussion too?

From The Notebooks of Lazarus Long by Robert A. Heinlein:

Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament -- it is possible to be both. How? By never taking an unnecessary chance and by minimizing risks you can't avoid. This permits you to play out the game happily, untroubled by the certainty of the outcome.

I phrase it a little differently: "Hope for the best, plan for the worst." Being a part of a "scene" with a broad base of people and a wide range of experiences and resources gives me access to more of the best, and more help for dealing with the worst. (As Spider Robinson, one of the strongest heirs of Heinlein, put it, "Shared pain is lessened; shared joy increased.")

Aloha,

Brad

I love everything you've sad here. The proviso I would place on it is that this scene has a utopian quality and also a dystopian quality. That is to say the scene must die by the sword it lives by. Since this culture on one level views itself as in some regards superior music fans willing to go to the end of the earth they should also be judged for the dystopian or defunct aspects of that same culture. See 'lot trash' etc.

Well, one is either a bolo or a bozo.

1 - I swear to uphold all the stuff in connection with Stoopnocracy.

2 - I think Stoopnocracy is peachy.

3 - Machinery, I believe, is either the friend or foe of man and as such should be treated accordingly, unless there is an antidote.*

4 - I believe in more work and less leisure and often in less leisure and more work, or vise versa.

5 - I can spell S-t-o-o-p-n-o-c-r-a-c-y correctly.

6 - I'll play the game.

7 - I am against tassels on bathrobe cords.

8 - That is all I can think of right now.

* Note: Not to be confused with the animal that plays on the side of hills.

Well, one is either a bolo or a bozo.

1 - I swear to uphold all the stuff in connection with Stoopnocracy.

2 - I think Stoopnocracy is peachy.

3 - Machinery, I believe, is either the friend or foe of man and as such should be treated accordingly, unless there is an antidote.*

4 - I believe in more work and less leisure and often in less leisure and more work, or vise versa.

5 - I can spell S-t-o-o-p-n-o-c-r-a-c-y correctly.

6 - I'll play the game.

7 - I am against tassels on bathrobe cords.

8 - That is all I can think of right now.

* Note: Not to be confused with the animal that plays on the side of hills.

Is it OK that I cant understand a thing you've written here good buddy? or should I get some medicine.