Jambands.ca

Wonky Wonka

bouche

i don't know, pais, i disagree with that... i think he should wait until after he sees the new one to view the old one. the old one is amazing, no matter when in your life you watch it (so it will be enjoyed regardless), and it would be a shame to skew how the new one is viewed if you're lucky enough to be able to see it without seeing the 1972 one first.

i for one am really looking forward to this! johnny depp, tim burton and helena bonham carter are all incredible. i would see a movie based solely on their involvement. but with 3 of them together (and such a great story), i am so there!

this one actually isn't a remake of the original movie at all. the screenwriter had never seen the old movie when he wrote the script, and this movie supposedly follows more closely to the book than willy wonka & the chocolate factory did. so that will be interesting for sure, especially since the 1972 film is quite a bit different than the original story in some ways.

what's with Hollywood and their "remakes"? The original is good enough! Be inventive and present something fresh! Or at least continue where the story left off in the magic elevator!?!?

I think a lot of it has to do with the people making decisions not being willing to invest the time to do things like read a script before they invest tens of millions of dollars. Instead, movies are approved or rejected based on "pitches", and if you can't get an executive's attention/interest with a short, simple, recognizable pitch, the movie won't get made. (I'm speaking here about the big studios, not independent makers like the Coen brothers.)

Thus, we get sequel after sequel, remake after remake, and adaptation-from-TV after adaptation-from-TV, not because those are the best subjects for movies, but because those are the easiest concepts for movie studio executives to wrap their heads around.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm more with zimmerman, dissappointed Hollywood with its billions of $$$ and multitude of talent can't come up with an original killer fantasy and needs to steal past glories with a cast of hot new stars

the cast does look good for the new one but I love how movies back then worked with limited technology and limited budgets but came out with amazing and unforgettable results, to me thats a beautiful story in itself... its not done and I haven't seen it but I have yet to see a sequel outdo the original, or usually even come close

whether or not the new one was coming out I'd beg anyone who hasn't seen the old one to watch it at the next best opportunity... if the new one ends up sucking it'll blow the story for them, we know the old one is a winner... I can't speak for the new one

and even Lazlo liked it ::

great stories have been retold countless times throughout history. i think it's awesome to have a new and fresh persepective and interpretation on a story that is presented simply but with such profound meaning. the arthurian legends are over a thousand years old and not all of the angles on that are exhausted, same with classic mythology from any culture, most notable greek/roman, norse, egyptian and celtic. this is postmodern western mythology in the making! i personally think this project will be done with integrity judging based on the people involved. tim burton is incredibly artistic and imaginative and johnny depp and helena bonham carter (who was in a wicked movie called "merlin" -another "remake") are two of my most favourite actors.

as an aside here, who's excited about the new batman movie? i could pee my pants i'm so excited. ::