Jambands.ca

New Reader...Book Advice?

Jared

If you're into The Band, this one is a quick read and awesomely informative and fun:

1556524056.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It will make you hate Robbie Robertson, though, and you'll never look at The Last Waltz the same way again after you read his new afterward, written after the passing of Rick Danko. Quick read though, lots of fun.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jared...get a copy of on the road. it's set around the time of the 'beat generation'...mostly because this is the book that defined the term. Definitely a pivotal peice of literature.

I'm glad that you started this thread. it's threads like this that help make this board a plethora of information. i can never get the search feature to work properly but when it does work it's tha bomb.

i'd also suggest that if you want to go and buy a book, go to chapters and check out the bargain section. I'm in the middle of my $10 hardcover copy of 'how to know god' by deepak chopra...super deals, my friend.

have to second many of the suggestions already made..

my favourites are tied between kerouac and HST. kerouac faves:

on the road

dharma bums

i have read big sur, like it but i also think it's damn depressing.

my favourite by HST is fear and loathing in las vegas, also really liked 'hell's angels' and 'rum diary'.

catcher in the rye was good... one of my students was reading it last semester and you could tell how bad he wanted to be holden caulfied. all sullen all the time. what a monkey.

i just read 'slaughterhouse 5' by kurt vonnegut, a good easy read and short. recommended to me by lots of folks, really enjoyed it and i can't wait to get into lots more vonnegut.

liked 'hitchhiker's guide'...

also some travel-y books which i really liked are 'a jaguar is eating my leg' (sooo good) and 'last chance to see', the author's names are escaping me...

i guess i'm mainly throwing down votes for books already mentioned, nonetheless...

currently i'm reading 'and you shall know our velocity' by the dude who wrote 'a heartbreaking work of staggering genius". it's cool, weird, good.

good luck J!

PS kaidy - i'm glad you said that about henry miller - guigsy let me borrow it and i had a hell of a time with it and it made me feel like a big moron b/c it's one of his favourite books. phew!!

nice... I love used book stores.... I can't believe how economical the entertainment can be. The book I mentioned, Tortilla Flats, was given to me by a roommate at the Princess St. West Backpackers in Edinburgh. I was placed in the longterm stayer area, and in their room, if you were to live there, Chris Truter, a crazy, remarkably cool South African insisted that you read the book... I think I have drained this entire area of every copy, giving them out to friends... Really worth a read, lots of good recommendations here, and no, War and Peace is not beyond anyone, its not a difficult read, just very long... But, Pierre and the General are fu©king brilliant characters... best of luck there.

Ahhhh!

Trust me here, listen to me. I love junk food books, just like you will very soon.

ANYTHING by Stephen King will blow your mind (esp The Stand, Firestarter, etc)

Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

Fall On Your Knees - Anne-Marie McDonald

Start with those and just drop ol' Unky K a line when you're done.

-Unky K

wow, nice to see fugitive pieces getting some props. i had to read the first ten or twenty pages a couple of times (at least) until i got her style...but that book ranks as one of my favourites, the writing is simply beautiful.

love tom robbins-fierce invalids home from a hot climate is my favourite....

ooo! K you just reminded me of some books i was reading while doing a bit of traveling -

poisonwood bible - awesome!!!

red china blues - jan wong: she's a journalist; she writes about going to school in china and being there for tiananmen square, really crazy stories and a great read.

life and death in shanghai - (can't remember author's name) - another true story about life in red china, power of human spirit, really inspiring and depressing at the same time.

I suggest any Tom Robbins.. he rules

If you like fu©ked up books..like REALLY fu©ked up.. ( I am warning you here) Check out Chuck Paninuck.. he wrote fight club

The NeverEnding Story is one of the best books I've read in awhile.. it's a children's fantasty book..

and The Electric KoolAid Acid Test is amazing... it is kinda dense but it's soo good!

cheers,

Sarah :P

hey sarahbelle, i think you mean chuck palahniuk. as much as i love fight club the movie, as far as books go i would have to say i enjoyed reading diary about a zillion times more than fight club.

Choke was good too, but he definitely has a formula. It gets a little old after a while. Good though if you're looking for something a little dark and different.