Jambands.ca

Some advice for managing a band.

Kelly-Anne

Saw a great show in Thurso on Monday night at a community hall there. The band was a bunch of local kids called “Le Grand Pontiac Pudding Crash” They played for about an 20 minutes and they were wild. The bass player was 15, but played like he was a seasoned vet. They did a great version of “China Rider” that made me dance even through I was sitting.

I spoke with them after and asked them if they’d ever play in Ottawa. They said Yes!

Well one thing led to another and after some oral sex at 3am at Rene’s moms house, they asked me to be their manager.

I really see them being the teen version of Moe. I think there is an untapped market for a teen jam bands. Kids that age also have taste and are fed up of being force fed Hillary Duff and her likes.

How does one get a band booked? Would the fact that they are all under 16 prevent them from performing somewhere were beer is being sold?

They could be huge. Maybe if any of you guys in bands are doing shows soon, maybe they could open up for you. They’d go crazy at the idea!

And does anyone know what the age of consent in Quebec is? When I left in the morning Rene’s mom asked me how old was I and did I know that Rene was only 15. I just hope she doesn’t get in the way of things. Love has no boundaries.

In Ottawa, I know that both Babylon and Mavericks (and, presumably, Cafe Dekcuf, since Dekcuf and Mavericks are run by the same people) host all-ages shows, and if under-19s can get in to see an all-ages show, my guess is that they'd be allowed to put on such a show. I'm not sure about an underage band doing a non-all-ages show at a licensed venue. The best bet would be to contact the venues and ask them how it works.

Aloha,

Brad

All ages gigs for sure...you might even find some more young bucks to suck ;)

Seriously though, work on their package (press package sicko, not the "downstairs" package) and get the word out to some booking agencies and venues. Find the most "sellable" features they have and "milk" 'em.

In Toronto, a place called The Kathedral often has all ages nights...

hey.

I work for the Ontario Youth Network Commission. We put on shows through-out Ontario for "kids in trouble" all the time.

I think your band could get some bookings, maybe even a tour. They seem like a perfect fit. Mutt Lang, is on our board of directors and I'm sure if the boys have talent and drive, he might be interested in getting them into the studio and recording an album or two. He's also in tight with Sony, so maybe a deal could be worked out.

Let me know and I can arrange it.

Maybe we could get together for a few drinks sometime without the band. I have a really nice place out here in Barhaven that you could even crash at. It's near public transportation, so you'd be able to get the bus home in the morning.

Kelly_Anne, if we all work together we can make a difference. And don't worry about Rene's mom, she simply doesn't understand the pressure that kids today face everyday at school. Not all are cool people like me who understand and care.

Norm

Maybe we could get together for a few drinks sometime without the band. I have a really nice place out here in Barhaven that you could even crash at. It's near public transportation, so you'd be able to get the bus home in the morning.

Uh oh, looks like someone's moving in on Rene's woman...

You rang? Um, I think I was one of the people who tried busting cornhole connie..oh sorry, Kelly_Anne wide open. I ain't she.

dang, i was hoping to trick you into outing yourself. although you are much smarter than that, and like you'd admit it if it was you!

i (still) guess you, and if not, Booche or LowRoller.

note to self: add 'fake jambands identities' to list of pet peeves

::