Jambands.ca

LA DE DA

bONES

the new Joel Plaskett cd La De Da is available now and definately worth picking up. I'm listening to it now for the first time from start to finish. Great writing and good music. Other notable cd's i picked up this weekend i'd recommend... The Constantines Shine A Light and The Sadies Favourite Colours

There's so much good Canadian music available, why buy anything else!?

"went down to phoenix

to make my last cd

and no one got paid

just like the good ole days"

nice! just got through the first listen, and i dug it. really enjoyed the songwriting on this disc, in sound its more similar to his first disc, the solo acoustic folky type thing, but in themes and whatnot is not too far removed from the last couple, just a bit of a mellow break... i thought a lot of the songs on this disc, although acoustic, would translate great with a full band type sound, and i think thats the mark of some good songwriting... yet another side of plaskett that i really like! some great lyrics on this one, too... i liked that verse about hating Kelowna in the last song, haha...

i've listened to this a few times through now, and im really impressed. i have to agree with dave-o that the last 2 tracks are super tremendous. i've gone back to natural disaster several times and then a few more for good measure. great tune.

over the weekend a couple buddies and i went up to algonquin park, and on the little trip one of the topics of conversation that came up was top canadian musicians/singers/songwriters, etc...

well, i made a case for plaskett... i think i would have to make a more serious case for him. he sort of comes and goes quietly, but his last 5 releases, going back to the last thrush hermit disc, and then his 4 solo albums, are all just rock solid all the way through, front to back. he's consistently gotten better as a writer, and i really hope this guy enjoys some bigtime longevity in the canadian music scene.

5 quality releases in a row! it doesnt happen anymore, folks, this guy is the real deal! keep on truckin', joel!

I'm really impressed too, this CD has grown on me in a small number of listens. In addition to the last 2 tracks, Happen Now is catchy as fu©k.

BTW guigsy, with all your recent talk I revisited the Clayton Park album this past weekend. Wow. Waaaay better than I remembered, it is truly an underappreciated Canadian rock gem.

Yeah, the whole upcoming tour with Pete Elkas is solo for both fellows. Haven't gotten ahold of the record yet, it comes out today. I saw an advance copy come into CFMU but didn't have a chance to sit down with it. Looking forward to a great record.

ya his website said it wasn't being released until today

How come i was able to buy my copy from Rotate This on the weekend then!?! Not that i'm complaining ::

I completely agree with guigsy (but we like a lot of the same bands)...Plaskett is a great Canadian treasure.

foolish non-believer...

Man, I love that there is a core group of people on this board that really appreciate the Plaskett. No disrespect to the non-appreciators, of course...

The Clayton Park record is one of my all-time favourites too, I think it's awesome back to front. There isn't much about the record I would change either, I love when the singing is occasionally just a little off-key, and when the solos get a little crazier than they should be. Seems more raw, you know? Maybe that stems from my love of people like The Band et al [<-- see Ricky Danko at left]. I also love the two JPE records, but I never actually bought a copy of Medical Attention, his first solo record. I've heard it here and there and know a lot of the tunes, but I never actually bought one. I should do that, I'm sure it's a record I could get into.

Guigsy if you're into the JP, have you ever had the chance to see the Spades? They're playing a big show in Hamilton, Saturday night March 5th at the Pepper Jack. No opener, and it's advertised as a two-set show, so I expect them to be long sets. I think you, and a lot of others on here that appreciate Plaskett in both acoustic and electric forms, would really enjoy this band. If anybody wants to come out that weekend and is looking for a place to stay, PM me...I've got lots of space but some of it is already filled, can probably pack at least another 2 in, considering couch and matress space...any number more, if you don't mind sleeping on the floor.

This PSA brought to you by the number 9 and the letters "T", "T" & "C".

As in the Bellamy 9? I grew up just off of McCowan Ave. between St. Clair and Eglinton, and used to catch the Bellamy 9 out of Warden station whenever I could on my way home from downtown...

Aloha,

Brad

This PSA brought to you by the number 9 and the letters "T", "T" & "C".

As in the Bellamy 9? I grew up just off of McCowan Ave. between St. Clair and Eglinton, and used to catch the Bellamy 9 out of Warden station whenever I could on my way home from downtown...

Aloha,

Brad

Naw, 9 as in "Getting to work for 9"...though I like your explanation better, so I'm just going to go with it...

hey Rev.. have yet to see the spades, but have definitely been meaning to... hamilton may be the time... i'll have to see about work and $$$'s, especially since london is getting hit with some awesome shows that week... but... it's officially on the radar, so ya never know... i've showed up in stranger places. ::

anybody in for another veggie "pot roast" pot-luck pre-show party at the cowboy city ranch for the show on the 30th!?!?

i'm thinking i'll pick up 6 tix soon...marge, i owe you for grabbing me a Mule ticket in the fall, so one of them will have your name on it.

i may just have to kick off work early on the 29th and catch both again

i just reserved 6 tix for the 30th with dinner.

so the pot-luck will be more of a "pot-roast" and drinks.

we have a table in the lower level near the stage reserved for 7pm

who's in?

i was thinking mooose, Large Marge, boogieknight & Amber, POG and myself

if any of you aren't interested let me know and i can pass the ticket on to someone else.

this venue only holds 200 people so don't procrastinate if you want to catch this show

yeeeeeehaw! another couple of Plaskett shows ::