Jambands.ca

Rose Garland/Harvard Mouse in the KW!

dark_starr

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya never know. Between a pair of bands full of Deadheads, that's the kind of crazy and madcap thing that just might happen. Ha ha ha ha.

[Gratuitous] bump.

Btw, any word yet of afterparty? Will need an address, and possibly a gurney for daveymouse, who, having reached his fortieth year, plans on falling down at some point in the evening from some manner of excess.

One of my favourite progressions is from Frank Zappa's "Black Napkins", and it goes Dm7 to Dbmaj7. In guitar tablature:

---5--4--

---6--6--

---5--5--

---7--6--

---5--4--

---5--4--

If you just pluck/arpeggiate the D/G/B strings of the Dm7, letting the B string ring for a bit, then quickly pluck all three D/G/B strings of the Dbmaj7 chord, it sounds pretty good.

Aloha,

Brad

A fun night ... thanks to those of you that made it out.

Here's the Harvard Mouse setlist (I may have the order mixed up at bit).

Mercedes Benz

Let the Good Times Roll

Feelin' Alright

Walk On

Sympathy for the Devil

Groovy Boogie Woogie Good Time

Remedy

Keeps Us Alive

Vampire Blues

Hey Pocky Way

Won't Get Fooled Again

A moment I won't forget ... just before we started playing Won't Get Fooled Again, a bus load of "cougars" shows up at the bar - they were on a pub crawl and we were one of the stops on their circuit. I hit the opening notes of Won't Get Fooled Again, look up, and the dance floor is suddenly filled with women rockin' away! It couldn't have been planned any better.

Thanks to Rose Garland for playing some tasty Dead for us, and for the sound and lights ... we had some cool lights and video projections to watch throughout the evening.

Looking forward to a blow out in Chatham ... some surprises are in the works, that's for sure!

Peace, Mark

A moment I won't forget ... just before we started playing Won't Get Fooled Again, a bus load of "cougars" shows up at the bar - they were on a pub crawl and we were one of the stops on their circuit. I hit the opening notes of Won't Get Fooled Again, look up, and the dance floor is suddenly filled with women rockin' away! It couldn't have been planned any better.

I thought my mom said she and some of her friends were going to be in KW last night.....glad to see they made it to the show ;)

Glad to hear it was another success! Wish we could have been there!

thank you everyone who came out last night, and big thanks to rose garland, organic groove, and my mouse family for a stellar evening! it was very cool to begin to put faces to names, i look forward to chatham and another chance to get down with some fine folks...and welcome back bokonon! hope it's for a while!

and cheers to the universe for providing the Random Moment of the Week...

What a blast folks! Harvard, you guys sounded great. And we gotta get that drum thing happening at shows in Hamilton, it gets everyone so rev'd up.

You know it's been a good night when your body is sore from dancing, your hands are sore from drumming, and your liver packs it's bags and leaves.

I especially liked it when that bus load of cougars showed-up.... I suddenly felt like a lamb in the slaughter. :)

Thanks to Chris and MaxWebster for the hang-out spots... both days... almost stayed another night!

Until the next one freaks...

What a blast folks! Harvard, you guys sounded great. And we gotta get that drum thing happening at shows in Hamilton, it gets everyone so rev'd up.

You know it's been a good night when your body is sore from dancing, your hands are sore from drumming, and your liver packs it's bags and leaves.

I especially liked it when that bus load of cougars showed-up.... I suddenly felt like a lamb in the slaughter. :)

Thanks to Chris and MaxWebster for the hang-out spots... both days... almost stayed another night!

Until the next one freaks...

glad to have gotten to talk to you, paan, glad you had a blast! the drums are an amazing addition, keeps the grooooove flowing all night...both niffermouse and i are sore and tired today, but grinning...see ya in chatham!

Okay, now, who's gonna let the skanc community know what those busload of loaded gals called themselves? Does it fall to me? They called themselves the the "BEAVERS bus booze cruise".

Now in all seriousness, I respect that. It's way too often women's sexuality gets slammed/belittled/riduculed. I, for one, thought it was awesome a bunch of women were clearly out after what they wanted. I'm still not clear what constitutes a 'cougar' and whether it's a totally derogatory label or not (comments???).

But from some of the lads I spoke to that evening, they were thrilled to see such lovely lasses grooving to the jams and the drum circle. In fact, I have to share this: one gal I was talking to, who was grooving to the drum circle, shaker in hand, leaned over and said "wow, this is just like speech -- they're [the drummers] all talking to each other".

If you can manage to transform even one person's perceptions of the world, I think you're doing a great thing. Way to go Organic Groove and Harvard Mouse!!!!

I'm still not clear what constitutes a 'cougar' and whether it's a totally derogatory label or not (comments???).

Interesting Deb ... I just had a phone conversation with Tigger about this earlier today. When I posted, I put the word cougars in quotes because it's one of those terms that different people interpret in different ways. I've heard it used in a derogatory context, but to me it is a term that describes thirty to fifty year old women who aren't shy about their sexuality and who like to party & dance to rock & roll music. There's nothing wrong with that from my perspective, that's for sure!

It was especially fitting that they walked in just before we launched into Won't Get Fooled Again, which is a song that I thing many "cougars" would know and enjoy.

Peace, Mark

Hey Kevin, thanks for making the journey to KW for the show! It was a treat to see you there. Sorry I bailed on the late night party session ... my head needed a pillow.

To be honest, I've been holding off on bringing the mice and drummers to Hamilton, because when it happens, I want it to be extra-special. When it comes to music and friends, Hamilton has an extra-special place in my heart.

Have a great night ... I'm heading out to my backyard now to build a campfire with my son ... he's stoked about the idea!

Peace, Mark

I thought my mom said she and some of her friends were going to be in KW last night.....glad to see they made it to the show ;)

Glad to hear it was another success! Wish we could have been there!

Ok, one more quick post before I turn off this computer ... hmmm ... man-oh-man, I wish I could come up with a witty reply to this ... hmmm ... oops, better not write that ... hmmm ... oops, suppose Blair's mom reads this ... hmmm ...

I miss you Babsy, and I miss you Mud! I wish you could have been there, and I hope to see you soon!

Peace, love & hugs,

Mark