Jambands.ca

R.I.P. Scott Larned (DSO keyboardist)

Basher

From http://darkstarorchestra.com/

mainphoto.jpg

PEACE BE WITH YOU, SCOTT

Our bandmate, our brother, our friend

Dark Star Orchestra keyboardist and co-founder Scott Larned passed away of heart failure Sunday afternoon. This is a quite sudden shock for all of us and will take some time for us to process.

Scott was a leader, co-founder and, for years, the band's manager helping guide this thing through some tricky waters in the early goings. His swirling hammond organ and glassy piano trills captured the eighties-era sound backed up by a most effective growling Mydland-esque voice. He will be missed both on and off the stage.

The Larned family has asked us to thank all of you for the outpouring of emotions you have shown. The family's service will be private but they will bring with them the love, memories and thoughts you have expressed. It is comforting for them to know that so many kind people were a part of Scott's life. We thank them for sharing him with us.

As mentioned above, we are still in shock and need to take some time to get our bearings. For now, we are cancelling the remaining dates of the Spring tour with our deepest apologies. Please check back at the website for information on a memorial as well as donations in Scott's name in lieu of flowers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more personal note: When I first started working on this website for the band, Scott was the one with whom I collaborated. He would have been proud of the fact that I didn't end that last sentence with a preposition, for instance. In a previous but simultaneous life, he had been a teacher and the site became another student's paper to grade. One time in the early years he said to me, "I can trust you to write what I would and not have to proofread every word." And so I tried to live up to that compliment. I now knew at least part of my audience and spent many hours just trying to make Scott smile when he would check in. It had been a cinch...a silly photo, a casual inside joke...it wasn't hard to find something to say. Until this Sunday. The first thing that I thought was "what would he want me to say?" followed by the realization that without him I had no grade, no teacher and, worst of all, no friend to make smile. If the site seems not up to it's usual caliber in the coming weeks, I apologize in advance for I have lost one hell of a creative mind to work with. (Sorry for that last preposition, Scott...)

-Webmaster Ed

Edited by Guest

I just read about this after this site was down and while browsing through bt.etree.org and I clicked on a recent DSO show.

I read the comments and noticed someone mention him and say "was this his last show?"

After going to the dso site, I then saw their announcement. That must be unbearable. These guys built a great touring show together and I'm sure it'll be a while before they can get that steam back.

I've only seen them twice and every band member stood out in their own fantastic way. I remember being amazed by the keys.

it's taken me a while to comprehend that Scott has passed on so early in his life

he was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet

and he was family to me

the following is a poem that was written by a friend of the bands

thought i'd share it here

The Keyboard Man…

Shining down with ivory smile

Left too soon, please stay a while

The loving touch of your magical hands

Gave us life in one special band

Built a world in every song

No matter what that day, seemed so wrong

To you I tip the cap of life

Your memory lives on, even through the strife

Each moment is a lifetime, the blink of an eye

Can’t help but ponder, the question why?

The Keyboard Man, we miss you so

Someday we’ll meet for another show

The days will pass and seem so long

We’ll think of you, the family must be strong

God bless you Scott, til we meet again

My thoughts of you, one hell of a Man!

SRN – 4/24/05