Jambands.ca

They're Back! The Black Crowes Kool Haus 5/17 Review & Setlist

TimmyB

Ever since the beginning of this year when the Robinson brothers announced that the Black Crowes would be reforming for a series of gigs at the Hammerstein Ballroom in the Big Apple there were several weeks where Crowes fans openly discussed which musicians would be flying along with Chris and Rich Robinson.

Nearly all fans wished the for lineup the Black Crowes had from 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' to 'Three Snakes and One Charm' which included guitar virtuoso Marc Ford.

The fans got their wish with Ford coming back under the wing of the Robinson brothers along with Toronto native Eddie Harsch on keyboards who had been with the band since 'Southern Harmony,' Sven Pipien on bass who was apart of the band for their 'By Your Side' album and newcomer Bill Dobrow on drums. And all was good.

It went from good to great a couple of weeks ago when original drummer Steve Gorman rejoined the Black Crowes during their hometown run in Atlanta, Georgia at the Tabernacle.

For all of those who saw the Black Crowes between 1992 to 1997 and felt that the Crowes where missing something 1998 on, I have only this to say to you.

They're back!

The Black Crowes at the Kool Haus was one of the best "rock and roll" concerts I have seen in a long time. The Crowes again are the best band on the planet to see "rock and roll."

From a set that was dominated by material from their sophmore masterpiece released in 1992 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' to material that covered all their other albums, minus 'Three Snakes and One Charm,' the set didn't stop rocking, even when they slowed down to perform the Flying Burrito Brothers version of the Aretha Franklin song "Do Right Woman."

Highlights included 'Amorica' tracks "Ballad in Urgency" into "Wiser Time" which were immediately followed by what might be the most epic song in the Black Crowes canon of material 'Southern Harmony's' "My Morning Song." During the crescendo at the end of "My Morning Song" it was like Chris Robinson was a southern baptist preacher and the backing singers Mona and Charity were his choir.

During "Thorn in My Pride" Steve Gorman had a drum solo which made me think that of all the musicians that were on stage this night that went on tour with Jimmy Page in 2000, Gorman was the one that came closest to recreating Led Zeppelin's sound. After the drum solo still in a jam in the middle of "Thorn in My Pride" Chris picked up a harmonica to do some soloing of his own.

When they performed "Nonfiction" from 'Amorica' they extended the song with some jamming. And suprisingly there was an extended spoken word rant from Chris, where he stated repeatedly "It's right here, It's right now," "And we are all the same breath in, And we are all the same breath out" and "In the centre of your mind" ending with "Cause no one can take you all the way, You can only stop yourself half the way, ya."

The set closed out with the Crowes performing their classic "Remedy."

The encore included the Fred McCowell and Rev. Gary Davis composition "You Gotta Move" that the Rolling Stones made famous on 'Sticky Fingers' with both Marc and Rich on slide guitars. And the show ended with a jam up of the Black Crowes most famous cover, Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle."

Instant Live is on tour with the Black Crowes and the recording of this show has been improved by leaps and bounds compared to the quality of the Instant Live show I aquired at a moe. concert at the Phoenix in 2003.

I look forward to seeing the Black Crowes again on Saturday June 11th on the What Stage sandwiched between fellow Georgia bands Gov't Mule and Widespread Panic. I believe the impression the Crowes will make to those in attendance that were to young to see the Crowes with Marc Ford will send shock waves throughout the jamband scene. And I predict that at the next bonnaroo the Black Crowes will be headlining over Widespread Panic.

Setlist

The Black Crowes

Kool Haus Tuesday May 17, 2005

Start time 9:19pm

1. Virtue And Vice

2. Sting Me

3. Jam>Black Moon Creeping

4. Soul Singing>Jam

5. Ballad in Urgency>Jam>

6. Wiser Time

7. My Morning Song

8. Do Right Woman

9. Thorn in My Pride>Jam>Drums>Harmonica>Thorn in My Pride

10. Sister Luck

11. By Your Side

12. Nonfiction>Jam

13. Remedy

Encore:

14. You Gotta Move

15. Hard to Handle

End time 11:32pm (Total time 2 hours and 13 minutes)

www.theblackcrowes.net

www.InstantLiveConcerts.com

Liked the review... but do we really need to slag Panic!

The Crowes are not going to get that big... lets not forget the way the Further Fest would empty out after Ratdog when the Crowes closed...

I'm feeling all mean and nasty.

I don't think I'm putting down Widespread Panic, I just feel in the pantheon of Southern Rock bands from Georgia that the Black Crowes are higher on the pecking order than Panic.

Panic are great players and have a good body of material. But in comparison to the Crowes, Panic just do not have the quality of songs and/or albums that the Crowes have.

And in the North East where I'm assuming you saw the Furthur Festival in 1997 if Panic were in the spot the Crowes were in coming on after Bob Weir and Ratdog there would have been a very similar situation with many fans leaving before Panic finished their set.

Let us not forget that Panic only a couple of years ago had to cancel their show in upstate New York due to a lack of tickets sold. The Black Crowes have never had that problem up in the North East.

Liked the review... but do we really need to slag Panic!

The Crowes are not going to get that big... lets not forget the way the Further Fest would empty out after Ratdog when the Crowes closed...

I'm feeling all mean and nasty.

I don't think I'm putting down Widespread Panic' date=' I just feel in the pantheon of Southern Rock bands from Georgia that the Black Crowes are higher on the pecking order than Panic.

Panic are great players and have a good body of material. But in comparison to the Crowes, Panic just do not have the quality of songs and/or albums that the Crowes have.

And in the North East where I'm assuming you saw the Furthur Festival in 1997 if Panic were in the spot the Crowes were in coming on after Bob Weir and Ratdog there would have been a very similar situation with many fans leaving before Panic finished their set.

Let us not forget that Panic only a couple of years ago had to cancel their show in upstate New York due to a lack of tickets sold. The Black Crowes have never had that problem up in the North East.[/quote']

Actually - that was during my younger years, and I did the whole further tour. Black Crowes were not looked highly upon anywhere, not even Lakewood Amph.

I agree that they sound good, but WSP they are not. Hell, Bonnaroo is a WSP show with special guests!

All I have to say is that was one of the best black crowes shows I've ever seen,and I seen a lot. The reason? Stever Gorman is the only man who should be playing those drums parts. What a f@cking show!!!!!I can't believe how F@CKING sweet it was !!! AHHHHHHHHHH I love Steve Gorman!!!

BTW, the Black Crowes sell records. Widespread tour the south and are't heard of much outside there. Has Widespread sold 6 million records? Has widepsread ever had a song in the top 10? Widespead are a jam band, Crowes are a real band. End of story.

BTW, the Black Crowes sell records. Widespread tour the south and are't heard of much outside there. Has Widespread sold 6 million records? Has widepsread ever had a song in the top 10? Widespead are a jam band, Crowes are a real band. End of story.

Maybe JB should visit a stylest and date Kate Hudson - could be good for their image, and would likely help to sell records...

:P

I've seen the Crowes and have all of their studio albums, but I think their popularity and commercial appeal peaked early. I think it is still too early for the Crowes to re-group and think that they will be embraced with the same zeal and kitschy popularity that is currently being expoited by Motley Crue and Velvet Revolver.

Comparing them to Widespread Panic is unjust because the Panic are a different type of band in terms of relevance and popularity: one that will never rely on hits, looks and album sales; and one that was and continues to be a big part of the " jam " community.

However, dissolving the band and generally laying low for a number of years has given the Crowes a new musical identity, one that has seen them embraced by a different audience - i.e., a jam audience. There is buzz surrounding the band again, but it is not the same type of buzz that greeted them back when their first album and subsequent singles hit rock radio. I admire their ability to re-group and create a buzz about the band again - something that was clearly NOT evident when they broke-up, but still thinking that they are the second coming of The Rolling Stones is and was ludicrous.

Ever since the beginning of this year when the I predict that at the next bonnaroo the Black Crowes will be headlining over Widespread Panic.

timmy...i love both bands equally and have seen them both about the same times (btw i think the crowes were TOTALLY short changed by deadheads during the 97 further fest and i saw 5 shows on that tour) but i'm also a gambling man and i'll put up anything that the crowes won't be the headliners next b'roo...

also...i'm heading down there next month, let's hook up and we can check out both bands and have a helluva time!

Probably not. I'm cutting down on shows for this and next year since I have to start saving up for my wedding next summer.

I'm going to the Allmans here in Toronto. I'll be going to The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, whenever they are booked for a club show - probably in September. If MMJ comes to T.O., I'll be going to that for sure. Same with The White Stripes.

No Zooma for me.

How's your new(ish) TV job going?

I first saw the Black Crowes at Alpine Valley for the Furthur 97 tour. We showed up late only to catch Planet Drum and The Crowes. They were a buzz killer for me and we ended up leaving early, pretty bummed.

But the show I saw at the Kool Haus on Tuesday was THE BEST 'rock n roll' show I've seen in a long long time... probably ever. Extremely happy I went. Absolutely loved it.

I really should have gone to the Crowes show. I really love Marc Ford's lead playing. He's lyrical, aggressive and never wastes a note.

The Crowes layoff has enabled Rich to become a much more confident lead player too - he's not just the songwriter, slide and rhythm guitarist anymore.