Jambands.ca

Is Grand Theft Bus any good?

PhishyK

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, definitely go. While they used to be very jammy (almost trancy and trippy, at times), recently they've focused more on songwriting, which is varied and, IMO, very good. The vocals (especially when Tim and Graeme sing together; they're brothers) is really good, and the way they use the two guitars they have is also interesting, as it's not lead vs. rhythm, it's more each guitar somewhere between lead and rhythm, blending together.

The band is cool with taping, and there are a bunch of shows on the Live Music Archive. 2005-03-19 and 2005-05-15 are pretty good examples of what they sound like these days, IMO. (I'd give URLs to those shows, but I'm having problems getting at the archive right now. If you click on the "Browse bands" link, there'll be an entry for Grand Theft Bus.)

Aloha,

Brad

the Bus are an awesome awesome band... great songs, super vocals and harmonies, beautifully trippin jams... I'd love to see them in Victoria, thats going to be totally wild

definately, definately, do yourself the favor

Edited by Guest

Its worth checkin out...i gotta say i would never go see them EVER again in my life...but i'm form the eats coast and have seen em hundreds of times..and watched it all go down hill(IMO)

But definetley you may really like em where ya never have seen them b4..So have nothing to compare it to.

Hope ya enjoy

I really dug their first album, but I've heard they drastically changed their style. How did they change? I am thinking of seeing them in Whistler, but it's a Monday night and I don't bother to go out to bars until 2 am during the week unless it's really worth it.

Someone please try to explain how they now compare with their first album? I need some convinicing, or I'm probably staying home.

Well stonemtn.....they are nothing like the way they were ont he first album...Not jammy at alll..they dont want to be calle da jamband now or be associated with the jam community.,,they play kinda almost a more indy style with some aspects of jam..but alotta weird noises form the synth n stufff....not my thing at all...I cant even force myself to enjoy them now!!

Check it out for yourself though and see what you think...but to me the GTB i knew and Loved is DEAD..haha sad but true

StoneMtn - in my opinion (there ya go, Boochawan ;)), i dont believe their new stuff is any weaker at all. it's different, sure, it's a little more rock, a little dirtier, a little darker, but it's still quality music. they're fantastic songwriters and all great players, that hasnt changed. the last few shows i've seen there was some jam involved, it's just not noodley, you know? i find the newer stuff has some really neat and intestering textures - dennis seems to stand out a little more.

i dunno man, if they were in my town on a monday i'd go regardless. they're a great canadian rock band, as far as i'm concerned.

Guest Low Roller

March 5th, 2002, Street Sleeper. My mind came leaking out of my ears. I was hooked there and then.

GTB is probably the only band conceived in "the scene" that has a real chance of making it big outside of the jamband community IMF'nO.

Edited by Low Roller
wrong year

I dont know about that..Now with their style and attitude change...they've lost many fans in the east Coast...Its just not the same...A band should change for the better as their style and music evolves...but this is not the case fo rthe bus (IMO);)

cheerZ

Edited by Guest

Gr8Ful, IYO*, how should GTB have changed/evolved, if they were to keep your (and other East Coasters') high opinion of them? In other words, what would a "change for the better as their style and music evolve[d]" have been? (That's not a dis, or a challenge; I understand and respect your opinion.)

For the record: I saw GTB back in 2002 for the first time (which could be called "old Bus", I guess), and have seen them consistently since then, and have liked them (as they've changed) all the way along.

Aloha,

Brad

* In your opinion. :)

Hey no worries bradm...Honestly i'm not sure how theuy could of changed to keep all their fans...Probably the thing that drove many fans away is the attitude chnage in the members of the band whoi think they are rock starts or somehting now...they dont want to associated with jambands or anything to do with jambands..which is fine but i mena thats the scene that made them what they are!!I guess they could of evolved around the style that made them but thats not what they wanted and thats fine...Sorry its earley man and i was at wassabi until like 4:30 this mornign ...Maybe in a few hours i'll be able to think better and give ya a better answer bradm!! take it easy man!

oh and guigsey...honestley man..you wouldnt even beleieve the ammount of peope who were huge bus fans with a major hate on for them now...sooo many people wont go to their shows anymore around here.... they're still gonna draw a huge crowd...they had soo many fans to begin with..but the crowds at bus shows are Dwindling without a doubt!

Cheerz Fellahs... now i'm goin back to hurting and laying under my desk.

Some Bus recommendations from me:

• 2004-09-05 from moe.down last year is a good one-disc show.
  • 2005-03-29 is one of the jammier (and best) Bus shows of late.
  • 2005-05-15 is one of the more punishing Bus shows I've been to. It was a Sunday night, and I figured they'd do one big set, and they did: over two hours, with a double encore (four songs in all).

(Others may have different recommendations. I was at all of those shows, and taped them all [2005-03-29 was taped by aberg83 and myself], so these are the ones I remember.)

Aloha,

Brad

dennis seems to stand out a little more.

Oh...Dennis stands out all right. ;)

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/429f8f09z4739377/1538/__sr_/8a55.jpg?phpCFoCBC22IxV.V

Corey, go see these guys, if only to see what all of this fuss is about. I've definitely warmed up to the "new Bus". When I saw them the last time in Toronto, it was awkward and I had the same, typical reaction a lot of people in this community had. It was like trying on your favourite old jeans, only to find out that they didn't fit you anymore. I felt a little uneasy, a little like those "good old days" that we so often speak of, were over; it was darker, more "radio play" song driven and not the happy, dancey, free-for-all that I remember from the days on the Frontier. HOWEVER, I gave 'em another chance, and I paid attention. There is some really great stuff going on on that album. It is different, that's for sure, but it is a good album from a great band (who rocked our socks off in Ottawa...right bradm?). I think we're all a little too quick to close the book on these guys. They sure haven't stopped growing. Wait until you hear the acoustic connection that Tim & Graeme have when just goofing around and being two brothers with guitars in their hands. That shit is great too...and totally different again. I don't blame these guys for not wanting to be a "jamband". Read some of the shit that's said about them on here! Jesus! And believe me, it's bad...I wrote some of it. :P

I really don't understand this "they didn't evolve the way they should've" nonsense. Seriously folks, could you have any respect for a band whose only goal was to make hit records and sell out every tour? Sure, musicians want some measure of success, but they certainly aren't our puppets. If you want some dependable, please-the-masses band, turn on the fucking radio! Have some respect for what these guys do. They work very hard.

oh and guigsey...honestley man..you wouldnt even beleieve the ammount of peope who were huge bus fans with a major hate on for them now...

so they've sent the noodleheads back to the pastabar with their kimock cd's and happy pills and made way for some kids who wanna rock and get a little dirt under their fingernails. i say awesome!

edit: on a side note, i think it's great that people are passionate enough to take either side of this debate. kinda shows exactly what the bus are capable of, as far as getting into the musical hearts and souls of people.. old bus or new bus. reminds me of another old/new debate south of the border... check out the slip's graffiti page once in a while for a good laugh.

Edited by Guest

No doubt they're still going to do well...and yeah in loosing some long time fans they definetley have picked up a new fan base.. and for all the people i know in New Brunswick that hate their music and dont go to their shows theres alot of people who love em. Same with any music! All i know if that soo many of the people i know and go to shows with dont like the bus at all anymore..and i'm in the same boat! This isn't to start a ruckus or anything wiht anyone..like i said its just my opinion..to each his own!

Guest Low Roller
so they've sent the noodleheads back to the pastabar with their kimock cd's and happy pills and made way for some kids who wanna rock and get a little dirt under their fingernails. i say awesome!

LMFAO! ROTF! LOL2005!

I want Guigsy's post to be my signature, but it's too long... Can you condense that to about a one-line statement for me Guigs?