Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

mmmmmm extra large pizza now! :D

http://bit.ly/98Y4Mi

Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Tony Rice – The Pizza Tapes Extra Large Edition

pizza_vol_1.jpg

The informal once-in-a lifetime jam session that brought guitar icons Jerry Garcia and Tony Rice together with their mandolin-picking host David Grisman was recorded in Dawg Studios on two successive evenings in February, 1993. The Pizza Tapes CD (2000) soon became an acoustic classic and one of Acoustic Disc’s most popular releases.

Now here’s the Extra Large 170-minute edition of this legendary session, including 16 previously unissued alternate takes in addition to the original master takes in their original sequence. This unique collection also features more of the personal repartee, which made the original release so endearing and insightful — the anatomy of this very special jam.

mp3@320VBR

Track List

01 – Pizza Preamble

02 – Man Of Constant Sorros (run through)

03 – Man Of Constant Sorrow (instumental)

04 – Always Late

05 – Man Of Constant Sorrow 1

06 – Constant Patter

07 – Man Of Constant Sorrow 2

08 – Louis Collins 1

09 – Louis Collins 2

10 – Shady Grove (run through)

11 – Shady Grove 1 (incomplete)

12 – Shady Jam

13 – Shady Grove 2

14 – Shady Grove 3

15 – Summertime (run through)

16 – Guitar Space

17 – Summertime

18 – Long Black Veil (run through)

19 – Long Black Veil 1 (incomplete)

20 – Rosa McFall (run through)

21 – Rosa McFall 1

22 – Rosa McFall 2

23 – Drifting Too Far From The Shore (inc run through)

24 – Nestles Quick

25 – Drifting Too Far From The Shore 1

26 – Jerry Plays Tonys D-28

27 – Long Black Veil reprise (run through)

28 – Long Black Veil intro

29 – Long Black Veil reprise 2

30 – Amazing Grace (run through)

31 – Amazing Grace

32 – Little Sadie (run through)

33 – Little Sadie

34 – Knockin’ On Heavens Door (run through)

35 – Knockin’ On Heavens Door

36 – Free Transition

37 – So What

38 – Interlude

39 – House Of The Rising Sun

http://bit.ly/98Y4Mi

http://bit.ly/dblcTj

Miles Davis – Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall

folder31.jpg

It’s good to see that record companies sometimes are able to get a grip and correct the mistakes of the past. Columbia has certainly tried its best to do justice to the magnificent recorded legacy of Miles Davis and this album is a part of that effort. This album assembles the complete Miles Davis Quintet / Gil Evans Orchestra concert recorded on May 19, 1961 at the Carnegie Hall, putting everything at the original recording order without editing or dubbed applause (the music included here was previously available on two separate albums: “Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall†and “More Music From The Legendary Carnegie Hall Concertâ€). This album is of course a perfect companion to the sublime Columbia 6 CDs box set “Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordingsâ€, especially as the concert was the first time Miles performed with the Gil Evans Orchestra live. 1961 marked an extremely busy and productive year for Miles. Following the departure of John Coltrane and Bill Evans, the “first†legendary Miles Davis Quintet was history and Miles quickly organized a new Quintet, which was to be his vehicle for an interim period of about two years, until the “second†legendary Quintet was to rise like a phoenix and take Jazz places never dreamt about. The “interim†Quintet included excellent and experienced players: Hank Mobley – saxophone, Wynton Kelly – piano, Paul Chambers – bass and Jimmy Cobb – drums (the last two were remaining members from the “first†Quintet). These players followed their leader with skill and devotion, creating some of the best modern jazz on record. Just one month before this concert the Quintet recorded a magnificent live album “Miles Davis In Person†(which is now available as a 4 CDs box set “In Person Friday And Saturday Nights At The Blackhawk, Completeâ€). The studio album “Someday My Prince Will Come†was recorded just a couple of months before the Carnegie concert recording. The next (and last) studio recording with Gil Evens (“Quiet Nightsâ€) was just months ahead. Looking back at this period it becomes plainly evident that Miles was already “miles ahead†in his mind, looking for a new vehicle and a new direction, which would commence shortly with the formation of the new Quintet and the groundbreaking new album ahead (“Seven Steps To Heavenâ€). That of course makes this music no less magnificent, as Miles was destined to be “in transition†for the duration of his entire career. It remains here, recorded for posterity, for us mortals to enjoy (almost 46 years later), loosing absolutely nothing of its relevance and eternal beauty. Miles of course was one of the very few artists, who made a statement with every note they played. As such, these notes are a source of inspiration and joy for those who love this music. Essential! - Jazzis

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. So What 12:01

2. Spring Is Here 4:03

3. Teo 9:10

4. Walkin’ 9:32

5. The Meaning Of The Blues / Lament 4:34

6. New Rhumba 4:07

7. Someday My Prince Will Come 2:55

8. Oleo 7:19

9. No Blues 10:38

10. I Thought About You 5:00

11. En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor (Adagio From “Concierto De Aranjuezâ€) 17:05

Bass – Paul Chambers

Drums – Jimmy Cobb

Orchestrated By – Gil Evans And His Orchestra

Piano – Wynton Kelly

Producer – Teo Macero

Saxophone [Tenor] – Hank Mobley

Trumpet – Miles Davis

http://bit.ly/dblcTj

http://bit.ly/bAb9Mr

John Fogerty – Centerfield (25th Anniversary Edition)

folder32.jpg

25th ANNIVERSARY EDITION OF JOHN FOGERTY’S CLASSIC CENTERFIELD CELEBRATES GROWING UP IN AMERICA WITH MUSIC AND BASEBALL RE-MASTERED CD WITH BONUS TRACKS. Fogerty To Make History As First Musician To Be Honored At Baseball Hall Of Fame Induction

“Put me in, coach, I’m ready to play.†With that heartfelt lyric from the title song to Centerfield, John Fogerty tapped into the hopes and dreams of every boy who ever played baseball and of every man and woman who ever yearned to become better in any aspect of their life. With “Centerfield,†Fogerty–one of the most acclaimed singer-songwriters of our time–created a rare rock classic that has become part of the fabric of the American Songbook. Celebrating the return of that 1985 album, Centerfield – 25th Anniversary Edition (Geffen/UMe), will be released on June 29 and features the original album, digitally remastered, and adds a pair of rare B-side bonus tracks–covers of the Rockin’ Sydney `80s hit “My Toot Toot†and the `50s R&B/doo wop gem “I Confess.†- amazon.com

mp3@320CBR

Track List

01. The Old Man Down The Road

02. Roack And Roll Girls

03. Big Train (From Memphis)

04. I Saw It On T.V.

05. Mr. Greed

06. Searchlight

07. Centerfield

08. I Cant Help Myself

09. Vanz Kant Danz

10. My Toot Toot (Bonus Track)

11. I Confess (Bonus Track)

http://bit.ly/bAb9Mr

http://bit.ly/9J8dPh

Peter Gabriel – Plays Live

pgabri-playsl_09.jpg

Great, live, solo Gabriel, pre-Sledgehammer:

PLAYS LIVE includes cuts from 4 different North American concerts between December 1982 and Spring 1983.

PLAYS LIVE is the sound of a man finally freeing himself definitively from the shackles that had bound him for years. Admittedly those shackles, being front man for Genesis, one of the most fascinating and consistently creative prog-rock bands of the early ’70s, were hardly severe. But they were a constraint nonetheless. (How often could Peter take some fan screaming “Suppers Ready†when trying to debut new material?) Finally, with a substantial body of solo material (four albums, three of them titled PETER GABRIEL), Gabriel was ready to put the ghost of Genesis to rest.

And while he did drive a stake through his art-rock past, Gabriel’s incendiary stage presence could not be distinguished. Luckily the live set captured here, which draws heavily from the SECURITY album, is consistently first rate and involving. Not content just to breath fresh life into road-weary veterans like “D.I.Y†or “Solsbury Hill,†Gabriel reaches for new emotional heights on stellar versions of “San Jacinto,†“Biko†and “And Through The Wire.†As a bonus for completists PLAYS LIVE also contains the ultra-rare “I Go Swimming.†Overall an excellent portrait of Gabriel’s live show.

The complete package of the former Genesis lead singer’s first solo live album from 1983. – cduniverse.com

Peter Gabriel (vocals, flute, piano, keyboards, synthesizer, drums);

David Rhodes (vocals, guitar, background vocals);

Jerry Marotta (vocals, drums, percussion, background vocals);

Larry Fast (piano, synthesizer);

Tony Levin (background vocals).

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. “The Rhythm of the Heat†– 6:26

2. “I Have the Touch†– 5:18

3. “Not One of Us†– 5:29

4. “Family Snapshot†– 4:44

5. “D.I.Y.†– 4:20

6. “The Family and the Fishing Net†– 7:22

7. “Intruder†– 5:03

8. “I Go Swimming†– 4:44

9. “San Jacinto†– 8:28

10. “Solsbury Hill†– 4:40

11. “No Self Control†– 5:02

12. “I Don’t Remember†– 4:20

13. “Shock The Monkey†– 7:40

14. “Humdrum†– 4:03

15. “On the Air†– 5:20

16. “Biko†– 6:50

http://bit.ly/9J8dPh

Grateful Dead - July 10, 1987

JFK Stadium - Philadelphia, PA

Recording Info:

SBD -> Cassette Master -> CD

Transfer Info:

CD -> Samplitude Professional v10.02 -> FLAC

(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller

charliemiller87@earthlink.net

July 30, 2008

Patch Info:

Sennheiser ME80 -> Cassette Master -> CD (shnid=3859) supplies:

Terrapin Station (0:11 - 0:23)

Notes:

-- Set 1 is seamless

-- Set 2 with Bob Dylan

Set 1:

d1t01 - Tuning

d1t02 - Iko Iko

d1t03 - Jack Straw

d1t04 - Sugaree

d1t05 - New Minglewood Blues

d1t06 - Althea

d1t07 - My Brother Esau

d1t08 - Take A Step Back / Mexican Hat Dance Tuning

d1t09 - When Push Comes To Shove

d1t10 - Cassidy

d1t11 - China Cat Sunflower ->

d1t12 - I Know You Rider

d2t01 - Looks Like Rain ->

d2t02 - Terrapin Station ->

d2t03 - Drums ->

d2t04 - Space ->

d2t05 - I Need A Miracle ->

d2t06 - Black Peter ->

d2t07 - Around And Around ->

d2t08 - One More Saturday Night

Set 2:

d3t01 - Tangled Up In Blue

d3t02 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

d3t03 - Man Of Peace

d3t04 - The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest

d3t05 - John Brown

d3t06 - Simple Twist Of Fate

d3t07 - Ballad Of A Thin Man

d3t08 - Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

d3t09 - Chimes Of Freedom

d3t10 - Queen Jane Approximately

d3t11 - Gotta Serve Somebody

d3t12 - Joey

d3t13 - All Along The Watchtower

Encore:

d3t14 - Touch Of Grey

Presently going down to Minglewood...

http://bit.ly/dmoVu2

folder33.jpg

The Black Keys – Brothers

The maturation of the Black Keys as record makers and performers has been both subtle and startling. With their 2008 Nonesuch release ‘Attack & Release’ – the fifth album of their eight-year career which doubled the sales of their previous album and Nonesuch debut ‘Magic Potion’ – guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney illustrated the durability of their few-frills sound, a mysterious and heavy brew of seventies-vintage rock, classic R&B and timeless, downhearted blues. Producer and pal Danger Mouse, their first outside collaborator, didn’t try to reinvent their sound but further isolated its essence with the help of a few carefully chosen guest players and some retro-modern electronic gear. It didn’t need to get slicker to get better, or, as the Boston Globe put it, â€Attack & Release’ proves that cleaning up the boys still won’t stop them from tracking mud all over the house.’

Danger Mouse returned to co-produce ‘Tighten Up’ on ‘Brothers,’ but for the most part, the duo was on its own, spending ten days at the legendary Muscle Shoals studio in Alabama and coming up with the an even more intensely focused, deeply soulful set that includes a cover of Jerry Butler’s ‘Never Gonna Give You Up.’ The performances are inventive and impassioned: Auerbach extends his vocal range to falsetto on the lead-off track ‘Everlasting Light’ and ‘The Only One’; ‘Howlin’ For You’ opens with a Gary Glitter-style drum riff and the chorus practically invites singing along. The tunes offer a surprising amount of lyrical candor and more than a little dark humor; the grooves alternate between ballsy swagger and bluesy rumination. The album reflects where Auerbach and Carney have been lately, most recently collaborating with a who’s who of New York City MC’s, including RZA, Q Tip, Mos Def and Raekwon on the 2009 BlakRoc super-session organized by hip-hop impresario and Black Keys fan Damon Dash. They’ve also pursued projects on their own, Auerbach with his solo ‘Keep It Hid’ album and tour, Carney with his band Drummer and its debut disc, ‘Feels Good Together.’ Their maturation didn’t happen just in the studio, though. Carney admits, ‘Dan and I grew up a lot as individuals and musicians prior to making this album. Our relationship was tested in many ways but at the end of the day, we’re brothers, and I think these songs reflect that.’

‘Brothers’ was primarily cut in Muscle Shoals, a setting that turned out to have more in common with the Akron, Ohio factories where the Black Keys used to record. The place was desolate, the town depressed, so once again the duo slipped into a world all its own. They did additional recording at Auerbach’s Easy Eye Sound System in Akron and The Bunker in Brooklyn. The album was mixed by engineer Tchad Blake, a veteran of sessions with Los Lobos, Pearl Jam and Peter Gabriel. Says Carney, ‘The way he approaches mixing is the same way we approach making music. Respecting the past while being in the present.’ - amazon.com

mp3 V0 (VBR)

Track List

1. Everlasting Light

2. Next Girl

3. Tighten Up

4. Howlin’ For You

5. She’s Long Gone

6. Black Mud

7. The Only One

8. Too Afraid To Love

9. Ten Cent Pistol

10. Sinister Kid