Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/aXqv2t

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense

folder22.jpg

Ten years after they called it quits and 15 years after Jonathan Demme’s groundbreaking concert film first ran, this expanded reissue of the original STOP MAKING SENSE soundtrack seems as strange and new as the Heads did back in the dark, Reagan-era day. Minimal but soulful, angular but always fluid and naturally groovy, this is the best white pop band of the new wave era making flippy floppy with a loose and loving sense of intellectual cool Steve Malkmus would kill for. Adding classics like the galloping headrush “Thank You for Sending Me An Angel,†the taut, James Brown-goes-dada “Found a Job,†and the pricelessly sweet “This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)†to an original lineup that included “Once in a Lifetime,†“Burning Down the House,†and “Psycho Killer,†this is a key collector’s piece for any fan and an excellent intro for newcomers. (It even features an ace run through the Tom Tom Club’s hip-hop classic “Genius of Loveâ€!) You can almost see David Byrne in his size-99 suit, looking like a stockbroker from Neptune as he stood at the edge of the stage wondering, “Well, how did I get here?†Sure, the synth-stylized music’s chilly spaciousness and the band’s reticence to rock out can seem alienating, but they never claimed to be a party band — and that geek-chic, loner vibe was always part of the appeal now, wasn’t it? - Jon Dolan, Barnes & Noble

mp3@320CBR

Tracklist:

1. “Psycho Killer†(Byrne, Frantz, Weymouth) – 4:24

2. “Heaven†(Byrne, Harrison) – 3:41

3. “Thank You for Sending Me an Angel†(Byrne) – 2:09

4. “Found a Job†(Byrne) – 3:15

5. “Slippery People†– 4:00

6. “Burning Down the House†– 4:06

7. “Life During Wartime†– 5:51

8. “Making Flippy Floppy†– 4:40

9. “Swamp†– 4:30

10. “What a Day That Was†(Byrne) – 6:00

11. “This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)†– 4:57

12. “Once in a Lifetime†(Byrne, Eno, Frantz, Harrison, Weymouth) – 5:25

13. “Genius of Love†(Weymouth, Frantz, Adrian Belew, Steven Stanley) (performed by Tom Tom Club) – 4:30

14. “Girlfriend Is Better†– 5:06

15. “Take Me to the River†(Green, Hodges) – 5:32

16. “Crosseyed and Painless†(Byrne, Eno, Frantz, Harrison, Weymouth) – 6:11

http://bit.ly/aXqv2t

http://bit.ly/9wLXNn

James Brown – Live at the Apollo

jamesb-liveat_03.jpg

Recorded live at the Apollo Theater, New York, New York on October 24, 1962.

An astonishing record of James and the Flames tearing the roof off the sucker at the mecca of R&B theatres, New York’s Apollo. When King Records owner Syd Nathan refused to fund the recording, thinking it commercial folly, Brown single-mindedly proceeded anyway, paying for it out of his own pocket. He had been out on the road night after night for a while, and he knew that the magic that was part and parcel of a James Brown show was something no record had ever caught. Hit follows hit without a pause — “I’ll Go Crazy,†“Try Me,†“Think,†“Please Please Please,†“I Don’t Mind,†“Night Train,†and more. The affirmative screams and cries of the audience are something you’ve never experienced unless you’ve seen the Brown Revue in a Black theater. If you have, I need not say more; if you haven’t, suffice to say that this should be one of the very first records you ever own. ~ Rob Bowman

mp3@320CBR

Tracklist:

1. Introduction To James Brown and The Famous Flames (by Fats Gonder) – 1:49

2. “I’ll Go Crazy†– 2:05

3. “Try Me†– 2:14

4. “Think†– 1:45

5. “I Don’t Mind†– 2:28

6. “Lost Someone†– 10:43

7. Medley: “Please, Please, Pleaseâ€/â€You’ve Got The Powerâ€/â€I Found Someoneâ€/â€Why Do You Do Meâ€/â€I Want You So Badâ€/â€I Love You, Yes I Doâ€/â€Strange Things Happenâ€/â€Bewilderedâ€/â€Please, Please, Please†– 6:27

8. “Night Train†– 3:26

http://bit.ly/9wLXNn

Talking Heads

Demos, CBS Studios

New York, NY

November 1975

Studio recording

01 - Psycho Killer

02 - Sugar On My Tongue

03 - Thank You For Sending Me An Angel

04 - I Want To Live

05 - I Wish You Wouldn't Say That

06 - The Girls Want To Be With The Girls

07 - Who Is It

08 - With Our Love

09 - Stay Hungry

10 - Tentative Decisions

11 - Warning Sign

12 - I'm Not In Love

13 - The Book I Read

14 - Love Goes To Building On Fire

15 - No Compassion

http://bit.ly/cZwiaB

folder25.jpg

Jackson Browne – Running on Empty

Recorded onstage, backstage, in three different hotel rooms, and on a Continental Silver Eagle tour bus during a cross-country 1977 tour, Running on Empty is a paean to life on the road. Jackson Browne’s sense of camaraderie extended to the road crew, if “The Load Out,†a love song to his roadies, is to be believed. Browne is much more blithe here than in his earlier outings. But Empty also represents a fleeting lighthearted moment for the singer-cum-poet whose concerns became more political than personal after its appearance. Beneath its flippant surface, this disc is a look at the lengths Browne and his friends went to avoid facing the demands of the touring life. What with the frequent drug references, misogynistic references to on-the-fly pairings with women, and the sobering line in the title track–â€I look around for the friends I used to pull me through / Looking into their eyes, I see them running, tooâ€â€“one realizes that Browne was much more comfortable on the road than off. –Jaan Uhelszki

Tracklist

1. Running On Empty

2. The Road

3. Rosie

4. You Love The Thunder

5. Cocaine

6. Shaky Town

7. Love Needs A Heart

8. Nothing But Time

9. The Load-Out

10. Stay

http://bit.ly/cZwiaB

http://bit.ly/bTORex

jbrown-latefo_03.jpg

Jackson Browne – Late For The Sky

His third album, and arguably his finest, Late for the Sky continues Browne’s sincere self-analysis into positively grim territory. The title track concerns the lingering effects of a dead relationship and was featured in Martin Scorcese’s film Taxi Driver. While “For a Dancer†confronts death head-on, “Farther On†explains the difficulties faced by us dorks who live life through books, films, or music; and “Before the Deluge†forecasts environmental gloom and doom. Guitarist David Lindley adds terrific counterpoint to Browne’s musing, supporting the tracks with tasteful slide and fiddle work. –Rob O’Connor

On his third album, Jackson Browne returned to the themes of his debut record (love, loss, identity, apocalypse) and, amazingly, delved even deeper into them. “For a Dancer,†a meditation on death like the first album’s “Song for Adam,†is a more eloquent eulogy; “Farther On†extends the “moving on†point of “Looking Into Youâ€; “Before the Deluge†is a glimpse beyond the apocalypse evoked on “My Opening Farewell†and the second album’s “For Everyman.†If Browne had seemed to question everything in his first records, here he even questioned himself. “For me some words come easy, but I know that they don’t mean that much,†he sang on the opening track, “Late for the Sky,†and added in “Farther On,†“I’m not sure what I’m trying to say.†Yet his seeming uncertainty and self-doubt reflected the size and complexity of the problems he was addressing in these songs, and few had ever explored such territory, much less mapped it so well. “The Late Show,†the album’s thematic center, doubted but ultimately affirmed the nature of relationships, while by the end, “After the Deluge,†if “only a few survived,†the human race continued nonetheless. It was a lot to put into a pop music album, but Browne stretched the limits of what could be found in what he called “the beauty in songs,†just as Bob Dylan had a decade before. - William Ruhlmann

mp3@320CBR

Tracklist

1. “Late for the Sky†– 5:36

2. “Fountain of Sorrow†– 6:42

3. “Farther On†– 5:17

4. “The Late Show†– 5:09

5. “The Road and the Sky†– 3:04

6. “For a Dancer†– 4:42

7. “Walking Slow†– 3:50

8. “Before the Deluge†– 6:18

http://bit.ly/bTORex

Edited by Guest

What Phish should do for Halloween ;)

http://bit.ly/bggoWS

folder27.jpg

Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is an incredible achievement of artistic ambition and serious musicianship led on the heals of five very talented head strong men all thinking that they knew what direction the band should go in. The end result is something so confusing to follow yet strangely exciting that people will be listening to it for many years to come wondering about it’s mystery just as one wonders about the Mona Lisa’s smile. Of course the musicians involved have no answers themselves. The new blend of musical ideas such as Eno-esque soundscapes (Brian Eno actually worked on this album), incredibly inventive drumming by Phil Collins; Peter Gabriel pushing his voice to new arenas of sound (he never sounded better before or since) making each character and emotion have it’s own voice; Tony Banks creating amazing keyboard passages that rank with anything that Keith Emerson had ever done; Steve Hackett, always under used but always finding just the right phrase to add to put a song to the top; and Mike Rutherford played great bass throughout the album (check out: In the Cage). The theme of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway itself seems to be too much of an enigma but the bottom line is that it is about the inner turmoil of a young NY punk trying to get it together. There are liner notes in the CD further explaining the story, but you need a magnifying glass to read them and even if you do have good eye sight you still may not see what the hell is going on. But since when in art are you supposed to figure it all out at once. The music is more the focal point anyway- the songs work well individually and as well as collectively baring (at times)the theme. For me the first disc has always captured my attention a bit more than the second. We start out with a manic piano diddle that swirls around until it comes down at hits you “and the lamb… lies down… on broa-wo-adway..†Guitar riffs tripping down Rael’s voice is heard- he’s a kid that hears all the sounds sees all the sights and is working towards sensory overload. The song works almost like a Bob Dylan type observational song. You get that through this he becomes alienated from his surrounding. As the songs continue the alienation and confusion take more of a hold and they are expressed with such eloquence both in the clarity of the phrasing and the utter babble of the lyrics. The irony is that as degenerately abstract as the first disc gets the second disc is complete madness. The music is all over the place (the chamber was most definitely in confusion), yet there is a sense of cohesion here as well as passage. The songs lend to each other a complementary feeling making the music feel like a ’67 Coltrane solo without sounding like one. Which all leads to what Coltrane was trying to talk about, “what is “itâ€?â€. In summation Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is better than anything that has been done in the last 30 years (of course that’s my opinion), the album is all about alienation and they didn’t have to say the word once (take note radiohead). The music is still extremely vibrant and vivid sounding like it was created today- and explains the turmoil of dealing with modern times very well. Genesis never made an album like this before or after. Peter Gabriel left the band after this and made some terrific solo albums but never captured what made Lamb Lies Down on Broadway so alluring and ambitious. Genesis moved on to make some very beautiful albums (that made it sound like L.L.D.o.B. never happened) basically Trick of the Tail sounds like a follow up to Selling England by the Pound. I recommend this to anyone regardless of musical preference who wants a good intellectual challenge and to be highly entertained. – allismile0

For an unbelievably detailed account of “what is The Lamb†about, check out The Annotated Lamb Lies Down !

There is also this long analysis of the album as well here .

mp3@320CBR

Tracklist

01. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

02. Fly On A Windshield

03. Broadway Melody Of 1974

04. Cuckoo Cocoon

05. In The Cage

06. The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging

07. Back In NYC

08. Hairless Heart

09. Counting Out Time

11. The Chamber Of 32 Doors

12. Lilywhite Lilith

13. The Waiting Room

14. Anyway

15. Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist

16. The Lamia

17. Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats

18. The Colony Of Slippermen

19. Ravine

20. The Light Dies Down On Broadway

21. Riding The Scree

22. In The Rapids

23. It

http://bit.ly/bggoWS

Edited by Guest

Jimi :)

http://bit.ly/aOyfH7

Jimi Hendrix – Axis Bold As Love [2010 remaster]

cover1.jpg

The sensational sophomore release of The Jimi Hendrix Experience highlights Hendrix’s own evolving musical experimentalism and acknowledges his early musical influences of soul and R&B. Remastered from the original two-track mixdown master tapes, Axis: Bold As Love’s 13-songs show the evolving trio as they neared the height of their career. Features the seminal classics “Spanish Castle Magic,†“Little Wing,†“Castles Made Of Sand,†and the classic Easy Rider anthem, “If 6 Was 9.â€

Jimi Hendrix’s second album doesn’t resonate through rock history the way its gatecrashing predecessor, Are You Experienced?, does. In places, it almost seems as if Hendrix is cruising, albeit sublimely. Yet it’s a vital album, containing some of rock’s molten milestones. There’s the fluid psychedelia of “Castles Made of Sand,†the viciously funky “Little Miss Lover,†and the so-beautiful-it-hurts “Little Wing.†Hendrix really hits altitude with “If 6 Was 9,†where he waves his “freak flag high†over a tidal wave of guitar and a cacophonous army of Moroccan flutes, and he ends with “Bold As Love,†based around Hendrix’s typically far-fetched hankering for the axis of the planet to be tilted, thereby transforming life on earth. It works up into a head-melting frenzy of distorted guitar, a precursor to the staggeringly expansive leap forward he would take with 1968′s Electric Ladyland. Hendrix dreamed the impossible and achieved it on his guitar. – amazon.com

mp3@320CBR

Tracklist

01. EXP

02. Up From The Skies

03. Spanish Castle Magic

04. Wait Until Tomorrow

05. Ain’t No Telling

06. Little Wing

07. If 6 Was 9

08. You Got Me Floatin’

09. Castles Made Of Sand

10. She’s So Fine

11. One Rainy Wish

12. Little Miss Lover

13. Bold As Love

http://bit.ly/aOyfH7

http://bit.ly/aLLuLl

Jerry Jams for Rex – V.A.

jerry_jams_72_sm.jpg

August 9, 2010 marks the 15-year anniversary of legendary musician and Grateful Dead co-founder Jerry Garcia’s death. As a way to honor his musical and community legacy, the gifted musicians on this compilation have generously contributed stirring live performances of Jerry Garcia songs to benefit The Rex Foundation. Available in a variety of formats, Jerry Jams for Rex was brought to life by Brad Serling of nugs.net and includes four exclusive previously unreleased live Garcia songs from Phish, Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers, The String Cheese Incident and Keller & The Keels. Other artists featured on the album include The Black Crowes, Yonder Mountain String Band and more.

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers – Lady With A Fan (7/25/2009 – The Biltmore, Asheville, NC) *

2. The String Cheese Incident – Eyes of the World (8/1/2001 – Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA) *

3. Railroad Earth – Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo (7/29/2006 – Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ)

4. The Black Crowes – Sugaree (8/1/2006 LC Pavilion, Columbus, OH)

5. Moonalice – Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad (7/22/2010 – The Silvermoon Brewery, Bend, OR) **

6. Yonder Mountain String Band – Reuben And Cherise (12/31/2009 – Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, CO)

7. The Waybacks – Dupree’s Diamond Blues (4/26/2007 – Watson Stage, MerleFest, NC)

8. Widespread Panic – Cream Puff War (7/26/2010 Tennessee Theatre, Knoxville, TN)

9. Keller & The Keels – Mountains of the Moon (6/17/2010 – Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Telluride, CO) *

10. Hot Buttered Rum – Cumberland Blues (3/21/2009 – Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, WA) **

11. Steve Kimock Crazy Engine – Stella Blue (7/25/2009 – Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, CA) **

12. Phish – Terrapin Station (8/9/1998 – Virginia Beach Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA) *

* previously unreleased, exclusive to Jerry Jams

** bonus download only tracks, not on the CD

http://bit.ly/aLLuLl