One More Cup Of Coffee

Sara

Just Like A Woman

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

This Land Is Your Land (Woody Guthrie)

* w/ Joan Baez

Cut Chemist, Sound of the Police

Cut-Chemist-sound-of-police.jpg

A decent DJ set is, at the very minimum, an exhibition of quality mixing skills put to work on a deep record collection. A good set builds momentum, orchestrates an extended rhythmic narrative, and throws together a couple of surprising juxtapositions along the way. But the great mixes are the ones that do all of that while making some greater statement about all the work they collect together. When Cut Chemist was tapped to create a DJ set in opening for Ethiopian jazz icon Mulatu Astatke back in 2009, he took the opportunity to delve into the sources, influences, and echoes of the Ethio-jazz scene that Astatke and others developed in the 1960s and 70s. Sound of the Police-- named for the tendency for many Ethio-jazz recordings to originate from military bands-- does a lot to contextualize that musical terrain for hip-hop heads who might not have delved too deep into its shared roots.

This mix runs on an interesting setup: Sound of the Police was assembled and recorded in real time on an unusual one-turntable rig, with a loop pedal and mixer taking the place of a second deck for transition-building purposes. (Think a stripped-down, single-turntable equivalent of Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow's 8-deck Hard Sell setup.) It's a deft highwire act, and it allows him to pull off some agile scratching, sonic layering, and self-overdubbing with original, unearthed vinyl records he likely couldn't find a second copy of. In other words, it has all the careful, hands-on, as-it-happens nature of a DJ mix combined with the loop-constructing composition of a beat tape-- and it's a pretty impressive technical achievement in that sense.

That structure's well-served by a wide itinerary of the African musical diaspora. And while this mix's tendency to work the slow build means it lacks the frenetic, quick-cut energy of similar-minded beat tapes like Oh No's Dr. No's Ethiopium or Madlib's Beat Konducta in Africa, it does have a continent-hopping nature that branches out into longer threads of shared stylistic heritage and blurs lines in a telling way. Heavy as it is on the fluttering horns, glassy guitars, and dense percussion that denotes a certain era of East African music-- think Buda Musique's excellent, exhaustive Ethiopiques series-- it frequently pits it in a free-flowing conversation with Nigerian Afrobeat, Cuban percussion, Brazilian Tropicália, and that deathless old-school b-boy break, the Incredible Bongo Band's "Apache".

That these musical cultural identities flow in and out of each other so freely is what gives Sound of the Police much of its resonance: The evolution of beat music across borders draws distinctions between eras and regions, but they're far from insurmountable. The lack of a full-credit tracklisting only highlights that: You might catch a moment of organ-heavy garage-funk or sax-driven, Middle Eastern-inflected melodies and find yourself unsure as to what that sound's geographical ties might be. And while not actually knowing the source might feel like the side effect of the old DJ tradition of never revealing where your breaks come from, it also gives this mix a purpose: Sometimes when you don't know the origin of a piece of music, you have no preconceptions to grab onto and you gravitate instead toward the things you most immediately recognize as familiar. Sound of the Police acknowledges its roots, but the common language of the beat is what truly drives it.

— Nate Patrin, October 12, 2010 (Pitchfork)

d19f.jpg

Quest TV:

The Times

Bob Dylan's Dream

Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

Girl Of The North Country

Hard Rain

Farewell

Live with Joan Baez (Bob appearance at Joan's concert):

Troubled And I Don't Know Why

Blowin' In The Wind (incomplete)

Minnesota Hotel Tape:

If I had Wings

Living The Blues

In The Evening

Long John

Banjo Tape:

Who You Really Are

Bob Dylan's Dream

Farewell

All Over You

Keep Your Hands Off Her (Leadbelly)

Used To Do (Honey Babe)

Going Back To Rome

Stealin'

Quest TV - Toronto, Ontario February 1, 1964

Live with Joan Baez - New York City, Forest Hills Tennis Stadium August 17, 1963

Minnesota Hotel Tape, Minneapolis, Dec. 22, 1961

Banjo Tape - (Listed as "Turner's Basement")

Long thought to have come from a basement home recording by Gill Turner, it is now thought to have been recorded on February 8, 1963 at Folk City. Happy Traum sings harmony and plays the banjo (from whence the recording derived its' name). Gill Turner provides harmony on the final track.

m14f.jpg

Koseinenkin Hall

Hiroshima, Japan

Feb. 16, 1994

Disc one

Jokerman

Shelter From The Storm

All Along The Watchtower

She Belongs To Me

Tangled Up In Blue

Watching The River Flow

Tomorrow Night (arr. by Bob Dylan) (a)

Masters Of War (a)

Disc two

Don't Think Twice (a)

Series Of Dreams

I And I

Maggie's Farm

Band introductions during song's end

Man In A Long Black Coat

It Ain't Me Babe (a)

(a) acoustic

Review:

This is a great recording of an historic concert. Dylan performs some long absent jewels during this first tour of Japan in nearly a decade. The highlight tonight is a breathtakingly reworked Masters Of War. The first acoustic version in over 30 years!

mmmmmmmmdirtydirtyfunk

http://bit.ly/bwPuIn

folder29.jpg

Betty Davis – Betty Davis

Betty Davis – Betty Davis (1973)

She was the first Madonna, but Madonna is more like Marie Osmond compared to Betty Davis. Betty was a real ferocious Black Panther woman. You couldn’t tame Betty Davis. – Carlos Santana

There is one testimonial about Betty Davis that is universal: she was a woman ahead of her time. In our contemporary moment, this may not be as self-evident as it was thirty years ago – we live in an age that’s been profoundly changed by flamboyant flaunting of female sexuality: from Parlet to Madonna, Lil Kim to Kelis. Yet, back in 1973 when Betty Davis first showed up in her silver go-go boots, dazzling smile and towering Afro, who could you possibly have compared her to? Marva Whitney had the voice but not the independence. Labelle wouldn’t get sexy with their “Lady Marmalade†for another year while Millie Jackson wasn’t “Feelin’ Bitchy†until 1977. Even Tina Turner, the most obvious predecessor to Betty’s fierce style wasn’t completely out of Ike’s shadow until later in the decade.

Ms. Davis’s unique story, still sadly mostly unknown, is unlike any other in popular music. Betty wrote the song “Uptown†for the Chambers Brothers before marrying Miles Davis in the late ‘60s, Betty’s impact on the immortal jazz trumpeter was tremendous. Her cutting-edge musical tastes and incomparable sense of style were too much for Miles to resist. A self-righteous 23-year old model, Betty conquered the man twice her age with a potent mixture of youth, beauty, and sex. Within a year, she had completely remade Miles in her own youthful image. As she poured herself into him, his playing grew younger, his outlook fresh. She ripped through his closets, tossing out the elegant suits he had worn for years. This was the late ’60s, revolution was in the air, and suits were the uniforms of the Establishment. The time had come to get hip, and Betty pointed the way, influencing him with psychedelic rock, and introducing him to Jimi Hendrix — personally inspiring the classic album ’Bitches Brew.’

The influence of Hendrix and especially Sly Stone on Miles Davis was obvious on the album Bitches Brew, which ushered in the era of jazz fusion. The origin of the album’s title is unknown, but some believe Miles was subtly paying tribute to the woman whose intersecting relationships helped spur the album’s genesis. In fact, it is said that he originally wanted to call the album Witches’ Brew — it was Betty who convinced him to change it.

It is believed that Hendrix and Betty Davis had an affair that hastened the end of her marriage to Miles Davis, but Betty denies this. What’s more, Hendrix and Miles stayed close after the divorce, planning to record until Hendrix’s death.

Her taste and style were cutting edge and her songwriting ability was way ahead of its time as well. Betty not only wrote every song she ever recorded and produced every album after her first, but the young woman penned the tunes that got The Commodores signed to Motown. The Detroit label soon came calling, pitching a Motown songwriting deal, which Betty turned down. Motown wanted to own everything. Heading to the UK, Marc Bolan of T. Rex urged the creative dynamo to start writing for herself. A common thread throughout Betty’s career would be her unbending Do-It-Yourself ethic, which made her quickly turn down anyone who didn’t fit with the vision. She would eventually say no to Eric Clapton as her album producer, seeing him as too banal.

In 1973, Davis would finally kick off her cosmic career with an amazingly progressive hard funk and sweet soul self-titled debut. Davis showcased her fiercely unique talent and features such gems as “If I’m In Luck I Might Get Picked Up†and “Game Is My Middle Name.†The album Betty Davis was recorded with Sly & The Family Stone’s rhythm section, sharply produced by Sly Stone drummer Greg Errico (however this was to be the last album produced by anyone other than herself.), and featured backing vocals from Sylvester and the Pointer Sisters.

Davis released two more studio albums, They Say I’m Different (gonna try and get Reza to give me his minty fresh copy, post that up soon…) and her major label debut on Island Records Nasty Gal . None of the three albums was a commercial success. Davis remained a cult figure as a singer, due in part to her open sexual attitude, which was controversial for the time. Some of her shows were boycotted and her songs were not played on the radio due to pressure by religious groups. However, with the passage of time her records have become highly regarded by collectors of soul and funk music and have been sampled by Ice Cube, Ludacris, Method Man, Redman, Godfather Don and Talib Kweli…just to name a few. - http://shelikes12inches.com/

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. If I’m In Luck I Might Get Picked Up

2. Walkin Up the Road

3. Anti Love Song

4. Your Man My Man

5. Ooh Yeah

6. Steppin In Her I. Miller Shoes

7. Game Is My Middle Name

8. In the Meantime

Bonus Tracks

9. Come Take Me (Previously Unreleased, 1974)

10. You Won’t See Me In the Morning (Previously Unreleased, 1974)

11. I Will Take That Ride (Previously Unreleased, 1974)

http://bit.ly/bwPuIn

^^^^ that's a great album!!!

With some incredible musicians backing her up too. I'd love to see Betty kick some current-day "divas" asses!!!! She's so good and nasty ;) I'll toss up her other stuff too if you don't have it.

I have all three of her albums, but that one is my favourite!

j03_boxfront.jpg

Bob Dylan

Jewels & Binoculars

Exhaustive 26 CD 1966 collection

Disc 24

May 27 1966 Royal Albert Hall

London, England

(Soundboard recording)

She Belongs To Me

4th Time Around

Visions Of Johanna

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Desolation Row

Just Like A Woman

Mr. Tambourine Man

Disc 25

The Blonde On Blonde Studio Sessions

All tracks mono, except 2, 4, 8, 10, 12, & 14 are stereo

October 5, 1965

Temporary Like Achilles (1:03)

Jet Pilot (1:03)

Crawl Out Your Window (1) (0:56)

I Wanna Be Your Lover (1) (1:03)

I Wanna Be Your Lover (1)(3:32)

I Wanna Be Your Lover (3) (3:26)

Instrumental (1) (4:07)

November 30, 1965

Visions Of Johanna (1) ("Freeze Out") (8:27)

Visions Of Johanna (2) ("Freeze Out") (7:28)

Crawl Out Your Window (1) (3:38)

January 21, 1966

She's Your Lover Now (1) (8:28)

She's Your Lover Now (2) (6:26)

January 27, 1966

I'll Keep It With Mine (3:13)

February 15, 1966

Keep It With Mine (3:13)

Bonus tracks:

Please Crawl Out Your Window (3) (3:33)

Pledging My Time * (3:53)

* Dutch Greatest Hits mono mix

I have all three of her albums, but that one is my favourite!

ahhhhh ... but do you have the 4th? It was never released until last year! recorded in 76.

1976 - Is It Love Or Desire

Betty_Davis-Is_It_Love_Or_Desire_b.jpg

In 1976, soul/rock/funk singer and sex symbol Betty Davis headed down to Bogulsa, Louisana's famed Studio in the Country to record what would have been her fourth album, Crashin' From Passion. Along with her North Carolina band, Davis had two months to work on her most ambitious album yet with its mix of her signature, salacious seductions, starkly autobiographical songs about the price of fame and even an anti-disco screed. However, the album - described by the musicians who played on it as Davis' best recording ever - was shelved for reasons unclear and with Davis' star on the wane, the project was subsequently lost to collective memory. However, it was recently rediscovered and is being prepped for re-release.

I personally like the new Betty Davis the best. I hadn't heard of her until the new album was released. When I bought it at the record store it had a hand written sticky note attached that read monster funk. Monster funk is right! I was a fan immediately.

Some more monster sexy funk from Betty. Hard to believe this one was mothballed for 30 years!!!! Here's a good little article interviewing her about how she got Miles Davis to meet Jimi Hendrix and how it affected Davis' compositions after:

Madonna before Madonna: The woman who introduced Miles to Hendrix finally speaks: http://bit.ly/bn0O8Z

and

Miles Davis: The muse who changed him, and the heady Brew that rewrote jazz: http://bit.ly/9doKeH

bettydavis1.jpg

http://bit.ly/dqMM2J

folder30.jpg

Betty Davis – Is It Love Or Desire

Betty Davis was a musical maverick with vision. Image, substance, sex, and grit combined with a badass band that could deliver the funk bed backbone to the sultry music between the sheets. After cutting two notorious discs for the Just Sunshine label (Betty Davis and They Say I’m Different), and Nasty Gal for Island Records, Davis went to work on her most personal and expressive record yet. After capturing 10 hard-hitting tracks in 1976 at the remote Studio In The Country (Louisiana), a creative difference with her then label caused the platter to be unexpectedly shelved. Davis would cut one final album and soon retreat from the music business, completely disappearing from the public eye.

Is It Love Or Desire is a little-known gem in the Davis catalogue. Mastered from the original tapes, and untouched for over 30 years, this release features detailed liner notes by Oliver Wang (Soul Sides, Betty Davis and They Say I’m Different re-issue contributor), the originally intended artwork housed in a lavishly packaged digipak, rare photos, archival material, and recent interviews with Davis and her skin-tight band Funk House.

Never bootlegged, never released, never heard until now, the secret story of this lost album will finally enter the history books and cement this bold soul sisters contributions to music and popular culture. Its time to get down…

Long live Betty Davis! - Light In The Attic

mp3@320CBR

Track List

01. Is It Love Or Desire [0:02:36.96]

02. It’s So Good [0:03:20.96]

03. Whorey Angel [0:05:02.45]

04. Crashin’ From Passion [0:03:24.74]

05. When Romance Says Goodbye [0:03:43.90]

06. Bottom of the Barrell [0:03:47.94]

07. Stars Starve You Know [0:03:35.52]

08. Let’s Get Personal [0:03:32.28]

09. Bar Hoppin’ [0:03:12.78]

10. For My Man [0:01:42.65]

http://bit.ly/dqMM2J

Edited by Guest

t13f.jpg

Tree With Roots - The Genuine Basement Tape Remastered.

128 tracks (4CD) in total, completely remastered with a major leap forward in sound quality compared to the original 5CD set.

Tracks:

Disc one

1) Lock your door *

2) Baby, won't you be my baby *

3) Try Me Little Girl *

4) Young but daily growin' **

5) Bonnie ship The Diamond *

6) The hills of Mexico *

7) Down on me *

8) I can't make it alone *

9) Don't you try me now *

10) One for the road

11) I'm alright *

12) One single river *

13) People get ready *

14) I don't hurt anymore *

15) Be careful of the stones you throw *

16) One man's loss *

17) Baby ain't that fine **

18) Rock salt and nails *

19) A fool such as I *

20) Silhouette *

21) Bring it on home *

22) King of France *

23) Nine hundred miles *

24) Goin' down the road *

25) Spanish is the loving tongue **

26) Po' Lazarus

Disc two

1) On a rainy afternoon *

2) I Can't Come In With A Broken Heart *

3) Come all ye fair and tender ladies ***

4) Under control *

5) Ol' Roison the beau **

6) I'm guilty of loving you **

7) Johnny Todd **

8) Cool water **

9) Banks of the Royal Canal **

10) Belchazaar

11) I forgot to remember to forget her

12) You win again,

13) Still in town still around

14) Waltzin' with sin

15) Big river (take 1) **

16) Big river (take 2) **

17) Folsom Prison blues **

18) Bells of Rhymney *

19) I Can't Come In With A Broken Heart *

20) I'm a fool for you - false start & take

21) Next time on the highway

22) Tupelo

23) Quit kicking my dog around

24) See you later Allen Ginsburg

25) Tiny Montgomery ©

26) The Spanish song (take 1)

27) The Spanish song (take 2)

28) I'm your teenage prayer

Disc three

1) Four strong winds

2) The French girl (take 1) ©

3) The French girl (take 2) ©

4) Joshua gone Barbados

5) I'm in the mood for love

6) All American boy ©

7) Sign on the cross **

8) Santa Fe * ©

9) Silent weekend * ©

10) Don't ya tell Henry * ©

11) Bourbon Street * ©

12) Million dollar bash (take 1) ©

13) Yea heavy and a bottle of bread (take 1) ©

14) Million dollar bash (take 2)**

15) Yea heavy and a bottle of bread (take 2)**

16) I'm not there ** ©

17) Please Mrs Henry ** ©

18) Crash on the levee (take 1)** ©

19) Crash on the levee (take 1)** ©

20) Lo and behold (take 1) ** ©

21) Lo and behold (take 2) **

22) You ain't going nowhere (take 1) * ©

23) Too much of nothing (take 1) ** ©

24) This wheels on fire ** ©

25) You ain't going nowhere (take 2) *

26) I shall be released ** ©

Disc four

1) Too much of nothing (take 2) **

2) Tears of rage (take 1) ©

3) Tears of rage (take 2)

4) Tears of rage (take 3)

5) Quinn the Eskimo (take 1) ©

6) Quinn the Eskimo - take 2

7) Open the door Homer (take 1) ©

8) Open the door Homer (take 2)

9) Open the door Homer (take 3)

10) Nothing was delivered (take 1) ©

11) Nothing was delivered (take 2)

12) Goin' to Acapulco ©

13) Gonna get you now

14) Wildwood flower

15) See that my grave is kept clean

16) Comin' round the mountain

17) Instrumental jam

18) Flight of the bumble bee

19) Confidential to me

20) Odds and ends (take 1) ©

21) Nothing was delivered (take 3)

22) Odds and ends (take 2)

23) Get your rocks off ** ©

24) Clothesline saga ** ©

25) Apple suckling tree (take 1) ©

26) Apple suckling tree (take 2)

27) All you have to is dream (take 1) *

28) All you have to do is dream (take 2) *

Tracks marked with © have been copyrighted to bob dylan by dwarf music.

* Remastered from a superior version of the source tape utilized on the 5cd set

** Remastered from an alternate source tape to that on the 5cd set

*** Not included on the 5cd set

All other recordings have been remastered from a brand new state of the art analog to digital transfer of the original cassette sources utilized on the GBT 5cd set. Songs have been rebalanced and EQ'd where appropriate.