Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

Is it just me, or did Little Feat have horrible album covers (with the exception of the first two, and Waiting For Columbus)?

Really? I loved their album covers. They always stood out in my Mom's collection when I was a kid and got played a lot (esp Waiting for Columbus, Dixie Chicken, Time Loves a Hero and Feats Don't Fail Me Now)

http://bit.ly/9AMxFo

folder13.jpg

Warren Zevon – Excitable Boy (Remaster 2007)

“Enjoy every sandwich†– WZ

Despite his many affiliations within Los Angeles’ session scene, Warren Zevon was a struggling songwriter who was going nowhere in a hurry when his pal Jackson Browne convinced Asylum Records to take a chance on signing him. Fortunately, by that point, Wanted Dead or Alive, Zevon’s forgettable flop of a debut from 1969, had become a distant memory, and sitting at his disposal was a batch of considerably superior material. With Browne at the helm, Zevon gave birth to a pair of albums — his self-titled endeavor and its follow-up Excitable Boy. Taken together, they gave him the means, for better or for worse, to live a rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle, at least temporarily. Admittedly, 30 years after the fact, both collections sound a tad dated, forever tethered to the ’70s by the sort of glossy sheen that typically was affixed to singer/songwriter efforts from the era. Still, there’s no denying the potency of Zevon’s formula, which refreshingly injected a twist of biting satire into the more romantic inclinations of his peers.

Although it was, in actuality, Zevon’s third endeavor, Excitable Boy had the look and the feel of a sophomore effort. By Browne’s own admission, the collection was constructed from its predecessor’s spare parts, and although they were exquisite specimens — both Werewolves of London and the title track had been set aside and saved — the fact remains that there was less unity amongst the set’s contents. Nevertheless, it’s hard to quibble with the songs themselves. Here’s an indication of Excitable Boy’s strength: Six of its nine tracks were redeployed to form the basis of Zevon’s greatest hits retrospective A Quiet Normal Life. Of the remaining cuts, only the deliciously funky, but ultimately lightweight Nighttime in the Switching Yard could be considered filler. The other two selections — Tenderness on the Block’s gently optimistic message from a father to his daughter and Veracruz’s mournful depiction of the casualties of American imperialism — are equally worthy contenders.

That’s quite a testament to Zevon’s capabilities, especially considering that the rest of Excitable Boy was filled with his widely recognized tales of a predatory ladies’ man (Werewolves of London), a vengeance-seeking vigilante (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner), a self-destructive antihero (Lawyers, Guns and Money), and a battered, bruised, and ultimately doomed relationship (Accidentally Like a Martyr). Although his later efforts undeniably contained a more cohesive narrative — a product of the maturity that middle age brings as well as the focus that arrived once he overcame his dependence upon alcohol — it arguably is difficult to find a more iconic collection of songs within his canon. Recently reissued with a quartet of bonus tracks — including a haunting rendition of Tule’s Blues (a personal account of the dissolution of his marriage) and the string-draped Frozen Notes (an equally sad reflection upon lost love and loneliness) — Excitable Boy still stands, in spite of its flaws, as strongly, proudly, and defiantly as it ever has – John Metzger, The Music Box

Read more: http://www.musicbox-online.com/reviews-2007/warrenzevon-excitableboy.html#ixzz12FUQxfix

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. Johnny Strikes Up The Band 2:54

2. Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner 3:49

3. Excitable Boy 2:43

4. Werewolves Of London 3:31

5. Accidentally Like A Martyr 3:44

6. Nighttime In The Switching Yard 4:19

7. Veracruz 3:34

8. Tenderness On The Block 3:58

9. Lawyers Guns And Money 3:38

10. I Need A Truck (Outtake) 0:50

11. Werewolves Of London (Alternate Version) 3:41

12. Tules Blues (Solo Piano Version) 3:13

13. Frozen Notes (Strings Version) 1:59

http://bit.ly/9AMxFo

http://bit.ly/cDoOUv

folder14.jpg

moe. – meat. (CD single)

September 6, 1996: meat.

(550 Music) is released.

OUT OF PRINT.

A 45:09 single.

10,000 copies were released.

For Moe’s first single on Sony/550, they decided to release a 45-minute long version of their live staple, “Meat.†Recorded in one take on July 25, 1996, the band charged their way through one of their quintessential live tunes. One may use the three officially released recordings of the song — on Loaf (1996), Meat (1996), and L (2000) — to gauge the artistic state of the band. Each featured a different drummer (Mike Strazza, Chris Mazur, and Vinnie Amico, respectively) who drove the tune in different ways. On the single version, Mazur pushes the band through a multi-sectioned improvisation that touches on ska, psychedelia, surf rock, blues, and other popular genres. This is perhaps the most expansive improvisation Moe has ever performed, live or in the studio. The mix is crystal clear, with guitarist Al Schnier panned all the way to the left, guitarist Chuck Garvey panned all the way to the right, and the rhythm section of Mazur and bassist Rob Derhak down the middle. ~ Jesse Jarnow, All Music Guide

mp3@V0

Track List

1. meat. 45:09

http://bit.ly/cDoOUv

After seeing this mentioned as a Halloween rumour it reminded me that it's been a few months since i've listened to this from start to finish. Perfect time to do so now and get through this Friday afternoon at work :)

http://bit.ly/cEl1Vj

little_feat_waiting_for_columbus_expanded-1.jpg

Little Feat – Waiting For Columbus (Deluxe Edition)

What constitutes a great live album? It’s clearly not the mere application of a band’s studio performances. That approach may satisfy the attending audience, but what’s the point of making a record that sounds just like the one that already exists? It’s far more rewarding to experience a live album on which a band turbocharges its studio sound (as The Who did on the scorching 1970 document Live At Leeds); or expands the material through improvisation (The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East from 71 classic example); or enlarges the aural palate to open up a body of work (like The Band’s 1972 beauty Rock Of All Ages, its Allen Toussaint horn arrangements). What makes Little Feat’s Waiting For Columbus memorable is that it seamlessly and quite naturally encompasses all these approaches.

Waiting For Columbus (Deluxe Edition) contains the original Waiting For Columbus as well as ten tracks recorded during the same tour that were not included in the original album. It also contains previously unreleased outtakes.

Little Feat’s lone official live album was chopped up for its initial CD release, with two tracks lopped off so it could fit on a single disc (they showed up, inexplicably, as bonus tracks on the CD issue of The Last Record Album). After years of neglect, the album was finally restored in 2002, except “restored†might not be the right word for it. It was re-thought and expanded, with the original album now spilling over onto a second disc (which is where the encore is), which is fleshed out with seven previously unissued outtakes, plus three songs initially released on Hoy-Hoy. It’s a lovely package, with copious notes from Bud Scoppa and lots of photos, great remastered sound, and generous bonus tracks. It’s as well done as could be expected, but be forewarned — none of the unreleased material is as good as what made the record, tending to be a little slack and emphasizing their encroaching fascination with fusion. That’s really not that big of a deal, of course, since collectors will buy this no matter what, and they’ll be happy with this lavish, loving package.

Little Feat:

Lowell George (vocals, guitar, maracas, cowbell)

Paul Barrere (vocals, guitar)

Bill Payne (vocals, piano, electric piano, organ, synthesizer)

Kenny Gradney (bass)

Richie Hayward (drums, percussion, background vocals)

Sam Clayton (congas, percussion, background vocals)

With:

Mick Taylor (guitar); Tower Of Power (horns); Michael McDonald,

Patrick Simmons (background vocals).

Recorded live at the Rainbow Theatre, London, England; The Lisner Auditorium,

Washington, D.C. in August 1977. Includes liner notes by Bud Scoppa.

All tracks have been digitally remastered.

mp3@320CBR

Track List

Disc 1.

01 Join The Band

02 Fat Man In The Bathtub

03 All That You Dream

04 Oh Atlanta

05 Old Folks Boogie

06 Dixie Chicken

07 Tripe Face Boogie

08 Rocket In My Pocket

09 Time Loves A Hero

10 Day Or Night

11 Mercenary Territory

12 Spanish Moon

Disc 2.

The Encore

13 Willin’

14 Don’t Bogart That Joint

15 Apolitical Blues

16 Sailin’ Shoes

17 Feats Don’t Fail Me Now

Previously Unissued Outtakes

18 One Love Stand

19 Rock And Roll Doctor

20 Skin It Back

21 On Your Way Down

22 Walkin All Night

23 Cold, Cold, Cold

24 Day At The Dog Races

Outtakes First Issued On Hoy-Hoy!

25 Skin It Back

26 Red Streamliner

27 Teenage Nervous Breakdown

http://bit.ly/cEl1Vj

http://bit.ly/bn7WTu

folder15.jpg

Syd Barrett – An Introduction to Syd Barrett

2010 collection that brings together, for the first time, the tracks of Pink Floyd and solo Syd Barrett on one compilation. David Gilmour, who originally worked with Syd Barrett on the solo albums by co-producing The Madcap Laughs and as producer of Barrett has taken the role of executive producer for the album and has remixed five tracks including ‘Octopus;, ;She Took A Long Cool Look;, ‘Dominoes’ and ‘Here I Go’, on which Gilmour has added and played bass guitar. Pink Floyd’s ‘Matilda Mother’ also receives a fresh 2010 mix. Brand new artwork has been provided by Storm Thorgerson and his estimable studio. – amazon.com

mp3@256CBR

Track List

01 – Arnold Layne

02 – See Emily Play

03 – Apples and Oranges

04 – Matilda Mother (Alternative Version) [2010 Mix]

05 – Chapter 24

06 – Bike

07 – Terrapin

08 – Love You

09 – Dark Globe

10 – Here I Go (2010 Remix)

11 – Octopus (2010 Mix)

12 – She Took a Long Cool Look (2010 Mix)

13 – If It’s In You

14 – Baby Lemonade

15 – Dominoes (2010 Mix)

16 – Gigolo Aunt

17 – Effervescing Elephant

18 – Bob Dylan Blues

19 – Rhamadan (2010 Mix)

http://bit.ly/bn7WTu

Bummed I just missed catching Steve Earle a couple of nights ago. Thought I'd pull this one out for a listen today. The bonus live material is great :) Enjoy!

http://bit.ly/adQWxT

Steve Earle – Copperhead Road (Deluxe Edition)

searle-copper.jpg

Copperhead Road (1988) was Steve Earle’s declaration of independence from the Nashville establishment, and it also became an important milestone in the early years of the alt-country music movement. Instrumentally diverse, the songs feature a mandolin, dobro, banjo, pedal steel, lap steel and harmonica rocking with the electric guitars, piano and drums. Celtic/outlaw-country/rock n’ roll/bluegrass. There’s plenty of attitude here, too.

Think backwoods whiskey stills and pot farms, trouble with the law, guns, Vietnam Vets and desperado love songs here. Steve Earle knows his way around just fine, and he’s quite capable of weaving interesting yarns that effectively bring the tough people, places and situations he sings about to life. On Copperhead Road, Earle looks and sounds like a southern biker version of Springsteen/Mellencamp. One who can’t seem to stay out of trouble. He does surprise us with the tender alt-bluegrass of Nothing But A Child, a touching meditation on the birth of Jesus that’s very enjoyable.

The Devil’s Right Hand tells the tale of a 19th Century teenager and his fascination with guns, which eventually gets him into trouble after he shoots a miner who cheated him in a card game.

Not guilty I said, You’ve got the wrong man

Nothing touched the trigger but the devil’s right hand

The title song tells the story of an Army veteran who returns home to the family moonshine business in Tennessee after two tours of duty in Vietnam. He has PTSD and a new plan to grow Columbian and Mexican marijuana for profit.

Well the D.E.A.’s got a chopper in the air

I wake up screaming like I’m back over there

I learned a thing or two from ol’ Charlie don’t you know

You better stay away from Copperhead Road

This Deluxe Edition of Copperhead Road features a bonus disc that includes seventeen live recordings from shows in Raleigh, North Carolina and Calgary, Canada. This is great stuff here, and Earle performs live versions of Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska, The Rolling Stones’ Dead Flowers, Gram Parsons’ Wheels, and his own Guitar Town, the hit single from his debut album.

If you’re a Steve Earle fan, don’t miss out on this deluxe version of Copperhead Road. Either one of these two discs is worth the price of admission here, but both of them together in one package make this a must-have.

“…Mama said the pistol is the devil’s right hand.â€

~ By ol’ nuff n’ den sum (amazon.com)

mp3@320CBR

Track List

Disc One:

The Original Album

1. Copperhead Road

2. Snake Oil

3. Back To The Wall

4. The Devil’s Right Hand

5. Johnny Come Lately

6. Even When I’m Blue

7. You Belong To Me

8. Waiting On You

9. Once You Love

10. Nothing But A Child

Disc Two:

Live, Raleigh, North Carolina, November 18, 1987

Previously Unreleased

1. The Devil’s Right Hand

2. Fearless Heart

3. San Antonio Girl

4. Nobody But You/Continental Trailways Bus

5. My Baby Worships Me

6. Wheels

7. The Week Of Living Dangerously

8. Johnny Come Lately (solo)

9. Brown And Root

10. I Love You Too Much

11. It’s All Up To You

Live, 1988

12. Nebraska (solo)

Live, Calgary, Canada, April 1989

13. Copperhead Road

14. I Ain’t Ever Satisfied

15. Dead Flowers

16. Little Sister (solo)

17. Guitar Town

http://bit.ly/adQWxT

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/cNj1jo

Warren Zevon – The Wind

folder18.jpg

In late August of 2002, Warren Zevon was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a virulent and inoperable form of lung cancer; with his life expectancy expected to be no more than a few months, Zevon focused his dwindling energies on completing a final album, and The Wind, released a year after Zevon learned of his condition, was the result. With a back story like that, it’s all but impossible to ignore the subtext of Zevon’s mortality while listening to The Wind, though, thankfully, he’s opted not to make an album about illness or death (ironically, he already did that with 2000′s Life’ll Kill Ya) or create a musical last will and testament. While The Wind occasionally and obliquely touches on Zevon’s illness — most notably the mournful “Keep Me in Your Heart†and the dirty blues raunch of “Rub Me Raw†— in many ways it sounds like a fairly typical Warren Zevon album, though of course this time out the caustic wit cuts a bit deeper, the screeds against a world gone mad sound more woeful, and the love songs suggest higher emotional stakes than before. The Wind also lays in a higher compliment of celebrity guest stars than usual, and while obviously a lot of these folks are old friends wanting to help a pal in need, in some cases the ringers help to carry the weight for Zevon, who, while in good voice, can’t summon up the power he did in his salad days. And remarkably, the trick works on several cuts; Bruce Springsteen’s rollicking guest vocal on “Disorder in the House†offers just the kick the tune needed, Tom Petty’s laid-back smirk brings a sleazy undertow to “The Rest of the Night,†and Dwight Yoakam’s harmonies on “Dirty Life and Times†are the perfect touch for the tune. In terms of material, The Wind isn’t a great Zevon album, but it’s a pretty good one; “El Amour de Mi Vida†is a simple but affecting look at lost love, “Prison Grove†is a superior character piece about life behind bars, and “Numb as a Statue,†“Disorder in the House,†and “Dirty Life and Times†prove the prospect of imminent death hasn’t alleviated Zevon’s cynicism in the least. (It’s hard to say if he’s being sincere or darkly witty with his cover of “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,†though he manages to make it work both ways.) And the assembled musicians — among them Ry Cooder, David Lindley, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, and Jim Keltner — serve up their best licks without taking the show away from Zevon, who, despite his obvious weakness, firmly commands the spotlight. The Wind feels less like a grand final statement of Warren Zevon’s career than one last walk around the field, with the star nodding to his pals, offering a last look at what he does best, and quietly but firmly leaving listeners convinced that he exits the game with no shame and no regrets. Which, all in all, is a pretty good way to remember the guy. - allmusic

mp3@256CBR

Track List

1. “Dirty Life and Times†(Zevon) – 3:15

2. “Disorder in the House†(Jorge Calderón, Zevon) – 4:36

3. “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door†(Bob Dylan) – 4:05

4. “Numb as a Statue†(Calderón, Zevon) – 4:08

5. “She’s Too Good for Me†(Zevon) – 3:12

6. “Prison Grove†(Calderón, Zevon) – 4:51

7. “El Amor de Mi Vida†(Calderón, Zevon) – 3:34

8. “The Rest of the Night†(Calderón, Zevon) – 4:41

9. “Please Stay†(Zevon) – 3:34

10. “Rub Me Raw†(Calderón, Zevon) – 5:44

11. “Keep Me in Your Heart†(Calderón, Zevon) – 3:28

Personnel

* Warren Zevon – acoustic guitar, piano, electric guitar, keyboards, vocals

* Gil Bernal – saxophone

* Jackson Browne – background vocals in “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door†and “Prison Groveâ€

* T-Bone Burnett – background vocals in “Prison Groveâ€

* Jorge Calderón – acoustic guitar, bass, electric guitar, maracas, background vocals, tres, Spanish vocals

* Mike Campbell – electric guitar

* Luis Conte – percussion, bongos, conga, drums, maracas

* Ry Cooder – slide guitar in “Dirty Life and Times†and “Prison Groveâ€

* Brad Davis – electric guitar, background vocals

* Steve Gorman – drums in “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Doorâ€

* Reggie Hamilton – upright bass

* Emmylou Harris – background vocals in “Please Stayâ€

* Don Henley – drums in “Dirty Life and Times†and “She’s Too Good for Meâ€

* Jim Keltner – drums

* David Lindley – background vocals, lap steel guitar, electric saz

* Randy Mitchell – background vocals, slide guitar

* Tom Petty – background vocals in “The Rest of the Nightâ€

* James Raymond – piano

* Timothy B. Schmit – background vocals in “She’s Too Good for Meâ€

* Tommy Shaw – background vocals, 12 string acoustic guitar

* Bruce Springsteen – background vocals and electric guitar in “Disorder in the Houseâ€, electric guitar in “Prison Groveâ€

* Billy Bob Thornton – background vocals in “Dirty Life and Times†and “Prison Groveâ€

* John Waite – background vocals

* Joe Walsh – slide guitar in “Rub me Rawâ€

* Dwight Yoakam – background vocals

* Jordan Zevon – background vocals

This is such a pure rocker of a song! It really needs to be cranked up. Just listen to what Springsteen adds to this track with his vocals and PARTICULARLY his guitar solo.

This track chokes me up every time I hear it. To watch the video is even harder :( …. Enjoy every sandwich …..

http://bit.ly/cNj1jo

d55f.jpg

Disc one

Phantom Engineer (1)

Sitting On A Barbed Wire Fence (1)

I Wanna Be Your Lover (2)

Please Crawl Out Your Window (3)

If You Gotta Go Go Now (4)

I Don't Want To Be Your Partner (2)

She's Your Lover Now (5)

Visions Of Johanna (6)

Desolation Row (7)

From A Buick Six (3)

Jet Pilot (2)

Number One (3)

Lunatic Princess Revisited (1)

Midnight Train

Please Crawl Out Your Window (7)

Visions Of Johanna (6)

Tombstone Blues (3)

Queen Jane Approximately (3)

Like A Rolling Stone (1)

Disc two

Subterranean Homesick Blues (4)

You Don't Have To Do That (4)

I'll Keep It With Mine (4)

It's All Over Now Baby Blue (4)

Love Minus Zero (4)

She Belongs To Me (4)

To Ramona (4/30/65, Sheffield) (8)

Hattie Carroll (5/10/65, London) (8)

Love Minus Zero (5/6/65, Newcastle) (8)

It Ain't Me Babe (5/10/65, London) (8)

IAON Baby Blue (5/10/65, RAH, London) (8)

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (9)

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)(9)

• (1)Highway 61 sessions - NY, June 15/16 1965
  • (2)First Hawks session - NY, October 20, 1965
  • (3)Highway 61 sessions - NY, July 30, 1965
  • (4)BIABH sessions, NY - January 15, 1965
  • (5)Blonde On Blonde sessions - January 21, 1966
  • (6)2nd Hawks session, NY - November 30, 1965
  • (7)Highway 61 sessions - NY, August 2, 1965
  • (8)Don't Look Back; UK tour, 1965
  • (9)Les Crane TV show, NY - February 17, 1965

Great new single. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

http://bit.ly/dxf9gi

folder19.jpg

Buddy Guy (feat. B.B. King) – Stay Around A Little Longer

Blues Icon Buddy Guy Set to Release New Album ‘Living Proof’ on October 26th

First Single “Stay Around A Little Longer†Features Legendary Bluesman B.B. King

NEW YORK, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire/ — Five time Grammy winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, Buddy Guy, will release his new album, Living Proof on October 26th. His 11th Silvertone/Jive studio release marks an historic first as it brings together the incomparable B.B. King and Guy on the introspective and moving lead single, “Stay Around A Little Longer.†The landmark single represents the first time that these two blues titans have ever joined together on a studio release.

Asked what he considers himself Living Proof of, Buddy Guy answers modestly. “Do you know how many guys I started out with who just threw up both hands and quit?†he says. “My first wife said to me, ‘It’s me or the guitar,’ and I picked up my guitar and left. We still laugh about that. But I’m still picking away at it, I don’t know nothing else.†In addition to the collaboration with B.B. King, Guy recruits fellow guitar legend Carlos Santana, who joins him on the slinky tune “Where the Blues Begins.â€

At 74-â€years young,†he’s been a major influence on rock titans like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan, a pioneer of Chicago’s fabled West Side sound and a living link to that city’s halcyon days of electric blues. In a career than spans nearly 50 years he has received 23 W.C. Handy Blues Awards (the most any artist has received), the first annual Great Performer of Illinois Award, the Billboard magazine Century Award for distinguished artistic achievement, and the Presidential National Medal of Arts. Rolling Stone ranked him in the top 30 of its “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.â€

Recently, Buddy Guy wrapped shooting the “Stay Around A Little Longer†video with B.B. King in Las Vegas and just held “An Evening With Buddy Guy†at the Gammy Museum’s theater in Los Angeles where he discussed his storied career and performed a selection of songs. Right now the indefatigable musician is on tour throughout North America.

mp3@320CBR

Track List

01 – Stay Around A Little Longer

http://bit.ly/dxf9gi