Jambands.ca

bought my plane tickets to cali!!!

KarinGarage

i'm so excited that i have to tell everyone! james and i are going to northern cali in august to visit his friend in san fran and simone and marie in chico, too!

anyone know of any really cool things i should check out while i'm in that area? I'd really like to live there someday, too, so if anyone knows of any heady, affordable spots, i'd like to hear about them too!

Are you kidding? You're going to Cali... Haight Ashbury? High Sierra Music Festival? The Warfield? Even places like Alcatraz would probably be interesting, if nothing else... I'm so jealous of you Karin, California is one of my must see destinations...

you should come del! the tix weren't that expensive, you just gotta look for bargains on the different discount travel websites. and it helps if you can be flexible with the dates, too.

i'm definately gonna check out haight ashbury (duh), but alcatraz, i don't want to see the inside of a prison unless i'm forced to be there. even then i think i'd jump bail and head to canada!

As for trippin' out to Cali...take a little drive (at least a full day) and camp along the coastal highway. There are some great out of the way places to camp..some of which you drive up steep, narrow dirt paths on cliffs, park, and hike in a short 30 minutes to camp. San Fran is great too. Lots of amazing food...check out Japan town for some nice spots. Also, for music, on the other side of the street from the Fillmore is the Boom Boom Room (Fillmore St and Geary Ave I believe). Don't know when you'll be there but the Motet is playing there on July 15th. Have fun!

sweet momack! are you going to visit friends? i've never been to oregon before, make sure to take lots of pictures!

and, jay, i'll do my best finding the goods for you!

solargarlic- yeah the coastal highway is cool, one of the best drives ever, absolutely beautiful. i'd like to head down to big sur and do some camping, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to fit it in.

visit Jack Kerouac Alley for a drunken afternoon or evening, bring a couple of bucks to buy something from one of the cafe artists... order a burrito from a street vendor near the panhandle (they were all great when I was there)

Haight/Ashbury was pretty overrun with 15 year old panhandlers when I was there but still worth a wander through

otherwise, bump into some friendly natives and see what they say is the what the what... lots of friendly folks in san fran... have good fun!

Edited by Guest

luckily, i get to travel out to carmel/monterey every summer for work. it's great. definately take the coastal drive down and skip hwy 1... camp in big sur and visit the monterey aquarium... they have the craziest jellyfish exhibit that will blow your pants off. cruise out 17 mile drive to see monterey bay and the pacific ocean at it's finest.. i believe they call it the 'greatest meeting of land and see in the world'... it's fucking spectacular... once you're out of san fran stop in Burlingame for lunch or something.. i love that town.. so quaint.. so california fresh.

as for calgary... it has the rockies... and it has my brother. much more than i can say about my c-town. :(

oh wow, karin!!!! that's freakin' AWESOME!!! i am so happy for you & james (and jealous!). you are going to have a blast.

it doesn't even matter what you do or see in san francisco, the city itself is awesome enough you'll wanna stay forever. :D

and you get to see our chico ladies too?!?!?!?!?!??!?! awwwwwwww. make sure you give them both bone crushing hugs & some bootay shakin' from me. :)

make sure you update the board with stories of your trip!!!!

Sweet Karin!!!!

I met a woman named Karin today. She has her own store here called Karin's Store. Creative.

Give the West Coast Giver Girls some lovin for me as well, they are missed.

...and Gator, whats a poll party and why wasn't i invited_ were you taking a poll as to how many people could be at one of my parties? 7? 8?

Met some heady german hippies this weekend and did some camping up in the mountains where i'm stayin. big lake, big cliffs to jump off, LOVIN IT! They actually have a car with a Canadian Flag painted on the hood (vis a vis how i met them) that they bought from some canadian guy about 2 years ago....anyone?

Karin, if you can make it in time i would go to the High Sierra Fest....Very awesome and i think Simone and Marie are going too.

Give James a big wet one for me,

Schwampy.

Listen to Birdy! She knows what she's talking about. Fernwood is my favourite campgrounds in Big Sur. Or, if you want to really rough it, send me a PM and I'll give you directions to a secret forestry services road just past Big Sur. Monterey Bay is sweet! Carmel is beautiful. Eat dinner at Nepenthe's in Big Sur (best restaurant and view in the world).

In SF, check out the Sutro Baths & grab a cocktail at the Cliff House. If you want a crazy night in the city, head to the Castro. Sunday drum jams are still going on at Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park. Seriously only budget like 15 minutes for Haight/Ashbury. The only thing I liked about that corner was that the clock was stuck at 4:20. ;) The GAP there made me nauseous. Check it out though (and 710 Ashbury) and then head to GG park...hitting Amoeba Records on the way. If you find yourselves downtown, stop for lunch at Dave's Bar (at 3rd & Market) for a bite. That's my old work...Dave's a great guy. He's the one that looks like Santa Claus. LOL

City Lights Bookstore is a must for anyone who knows how to read. :P Grab a book and hang out in the attic for a while to tune into that Ferlinghetti/beat gen. vibe. Don't forget to check out Lombard St. This is what happens when city planners do too much acid.

LombardStreet2.jpg

Have fun Karin!!! Let me know if you need a good SF connection. ;)